Bullnose Forums

Engine color opinions

Need some opinions on engine color.

Canyon red 1984 flareside.

In the process of rebuilding the engine. Running aluminum manifold with a dual snorkle HO air cleaner assembly. Base of air cleaner is black with natural alum lid. Having a tuff time deciding on paint color combinations.

I like that.

I like the ford blue also. Just thinking it would maybe clash with the red of the truck. The previous owner had installed a used engine with a red color fairly close to the oem red paint. Thinking maybe canyon red long block with black for all my brackets.

In the process of rebuilding the engine. Running aluminum manifold with a dual snorkle HO air cleaner assembly. Base of air cleaner is black with natural alum lid. Having a tuff time deciding on paint color combinations.

Combination for the whole engine or just the aircleaner?

My original aircleaner was bare aluminum, the NOS unit I got which was a reboxed unit and didnt match the NOS box and part number but it is a bare base with a black painted lid.

I am going to try and fix my original aircleaner to reuse till I can figure something else out but leaning towards painting it a bare aluminum engine color.

Engine itself I am going dark ford corporate blue, engine was originally blue and I plan to stick with that. Going to paint even the aluminum intake and heads to blend it all in and I got the Proform slant roof Ford Racing valve covers in Dark corporate blue to match. Part of me thought of doing the intake in a aluminum color but I dont think that would look that good for a OE look that I am going for.

Ford how ever did use some interesting color combinations but by time the 80s came around it was pretty much one color for everything on the engine proper. But before the 70s they had different color combos and in the 50s ford used the different color combos to denote engine displacement as well as engine application ie truck/car/thunderbird.

Combination for the whole engine or just the aircleaner?

My original aircleaner was bare aluminum, the NOS unit I got which was a reboxed unit and didnt match the NOS box and part number but it is a bare base with a black painted lid.

I am going to try and fix my original aircleaner to reuse till I can figure something else out but leaning towards painting it a bare aluminum engine color.

Engine itself I am going dark ford corporate blue, engine was originally blue and I plan to stick with that. Going to paint even the aluminum intake and heads to blend it all in and I got the Proform slant roof Ford Racing valve covers in Dark corporate blue to match. Part of me thought of doing the intake in a aluminum color but I dont think that would look that good for a OE look that I am going for.

Ford how ever did use some interesting color combinations but by time the 80s came around it was pretty much one color for everything on the engine proper. But before the 70s they had different color combos and in the 50s ford used the different color combos to denote engine displacement as well as engine application ie truck/car/thunderbird.

I dont like the gray so went with the blueon my 300 six

20200222_154835-01.jpg.e152fdd286ba9e92b459f07cd0cad61c.jpg

Its in my 81 candy apple red & white flare side truck

20200227_161022.jpg.8aea49824bfecaf1ef1ed5bd8c517549.jpg

Dave ----

I like the ford blue also. Just thinking it would maybe clash with the red of the truck. The previous owner had installed a used engine with a red color fairly close to the oem red paint. Thinking maybe canyon red long block with black for all my brackets.

Go with Ford Dark Blue. That is the color Ford used on all of their engines up to 1981, when they switched over to Ford Gray. All of the engine brackets should be Ford Semi-Gloss Black.

Lucille is Dark Canyon Red as well, and I think the Ford Dark Blue looks great. I painted my aluminum valve covers and aluminum intake manifold in Cast Coat Aluminum. I left the snorkels black but painted the base of the air cleaner Dark Ford Blue to match the engine and balance it out:

IMG_1341.jpg.4603263378fb81f323c7dd00d2c56bda.jpg

Go with Ford Dark Blue. That is the color Ford used on all of their engines up to 1981, when they switched over to Ford Gray. All of the engine brackets should be Ford Semi-Gloss Black.

Lucille is Dark Canyon Red as well, and I think the Ford Dark Blue looks great. I painted my aluminum valve covers and aluminum intake manifold in Cast Coat Aluminum. I left the snorkels black but painted the base of the air cleaner Dark Ford Blue to match the engine and balance it out:

I think ya'll have made my decision for me. Ford dark blue on the block and heads, black on the brackets, air cleaner. Aftermarket valve covers are black already. I will post some pics when complete. Thanks

I think ya'll have made my decision for me. Ford dark blue on the block and heads, black on the brackets, air cleaner. Aftermarket valve covers are black already. I will post some pics when complete. Thanks

Yep, in my book, only one color for the engines in a Ford. Ford Dark Blue.

Sounds like your mind is made up but for what it's worth here's another vote for the Ford dark blue.

I recently painted the block I'm working on in "Ford corporate blue" enamel from POR-15. The finish came out really nice I think. The intake, timing cover, water pump and heads will be in the same color and I'm going to do the oil pan, valve covers, brackets and pulleys in semi-gloss black.

Bare_block_1.jpg.7f94f5384f4fb030ab6f831867084287.jpg

Bare_block_3.jpg.c1b8ae1aac7704dbcffefa0ced70ffa7.jpg