Bullnose Forums

Noise from flexplate while running- Stuck Starter Bendix? [FIXED]

Doesn't sound like a cracked flexplate. Ask me how I know.

I dont know that sounds like it could be a cracked flexplate. Ive seen them make come and go making noise. Ive also seen them make different noises. Hard to tell to be honest about the only way Ive been able to isolate is to try and lightly load the engine in gear to try and take the flex/slack out.

I am kind of with Rusty as it could be a cracked flex plate.

When you changed out the flex because of bad teeth were the pins in the motor to bell housing?

If they are missing that can cause the flex plate to crack.

May want to check the converter bolts if tight.

I had them come loose, factory installed on a diesel, and it showed up sounding like a rod knock!

After freaking out and seeing the oil PSI was still good I started looking else where.

If the bolts are just starting to loosen might make a noise.

Dave ----

Doesn't sound like a cracked flexplate. Ask me how I know.

I dont know that sounds like it could be a cracked flexplate. Ive seen them make come and go making noise. Ive also seen them make different noises. Hard to tell to be honest about the only way Ive been able to isolate is to try and lightly load the engine in gear to try and take the flex/slack out.

I am kind of with Rusty as it could be a cracked flex plate.

When you changed out the flex because of bad teeth were the pins in the motor to bell housing?

If they are missing that can cause the flex plate to crack.

May want to check the converter bolts if tight.

I had them come loose, factory installed on a diesel, and it showed up sounding like a rod knock!

After freaking out and seeing the oil PSI was still good I started looking else where.

If the bolts are just starting to loosen might make a noise.

Dave ----

I had to go back to the build picks, but yet, both dowel pins never left the block the entire time.

---

Made a discovery... starter bolts are wicked loose... as in not even finger tight. Going to pull the starter once the exhaust cools down some more. Must have been one hell of a rattle to knock them loose like that!

(no they're not stripped)

I had to go back to the build picks, but yet, both dowel pins never left the block the entire time.

---

Made a discovery... starter bolts are wicked loose... as in not even finger tight. Going to pull the starter once the exhaust cools down some more. Must have been one hell of a rattle to knock them loose like that!

(no they're not stripped)

Pulled starter, bendix was retracted. Reinstalled, no more noise.

Fixed. Maybe ought to check the torque in a week or go back and loctite them later. Grr...

Fixed. Maybe ought to check the torque in a week or go back and loctite them later. Grr...

Glad to hear you found it and it didn't require any further disassembly (or cost) :nabble_smiley_good:

I had to helicoil the tapped hole in my Zf.

There was no way I was getting that lower screw tight enough to keep my starter from camming out of engagement.

I had to helicoil the tapped hole in my Zf.

There was no way I was getting that lower screw tight enough to keep my starter from camming out of engagement.

That's the spec at work for custom Al and Cu parts. Might do that if it's convienient in the future (good access to drill and tap, or I find a self-drilling helicoil tap like my O2 helocoil kit).