Bullnose Forums

Brush and Bracket - Compressor - LMC part 43-0702

Hi all, my 81 which had factory air was missing all its AC stuff. I went on a shopping spree at LMC and bought everything that looked like an 81 would need. Included was this part. Now that I have it in my hand, I can't figure out what it is or where it goes. The bag is actually from Dennis Carpenter, and it says "AIR COND. COMPRESSOR SWITCH AND BRACKET" and CSSZ-2979-A. Any clue as to what this thing does, or whether I need it? I've googled all the part numbers on the bag and come up with nothing. Thanks!

There's one hit in the master parts catalog for 2979-A:

But note that it doesn't mention CSSZ. Could the first "S" actually be an "8"?

You know what works better than part numbers ........... Picture of the part!

Dave ----

Yeah it could be an 8. No wonder I couldn't find anything. Here are the requested pictures of the part:

IMG_29651.jpg.28dda34269fab468daff1b5b91194029.jpg

Most of the AC parts on the LMC site have sub-notes that specify whether they are for the factory-installed or dealer-installed AC. This particular part has no such note.

I think you guys are right about it being the part that energizes the magnetic clutch, the bullet connector on it sure looks like it. Apparently this part is buried under the clutch and that's why I don't recognize it. Having just bought a new compressor, I don't guess I have a need for this part.

Thanks all!

IMG_29661.jpg.f9f2a54fbd70d9e6c6b81c7fd62129ac.jpg

Yeah it could be an 8. No wonder I couldn't find anything. Here are the requested pictures of the part:

Most of the AC parts on the LMC site have sub-notes that specify whether they are for the factory-installed or dealer-installed AC. This particular part has no such note.

I think you guys are right about it being the part that energizes the magnetic clutch, the bullet connector on it sure looks like it. Apparently this part is buried under the clutch and that's why I don't recognize it. Having just bought a new compressor, I don't guess I have a need for this part.

Thanks all!

That was used on AC compressors prior to the introduction of the fixed clutch magnet. It provided 12v to a large brass ring on the rotating clutch pulley. I had a couple of 70s cars with those. C8xx for a pn identifies it as a 1968 introduction part.

That was used on AC compressors prior to the introduction of the fixed clutch magnet. It provided 12v to a large brass ring on the rotating clutch pulley. I had a couple of 70s cars with those. C8xx for a pn identifies it as a 1968 introduction part.

Interesting. The LMC site identifies it for use in the F150 in 80 through 89. Wonder if that's bad information on their part.

It says replaced by 19D798...

And then there's this illustration.

1980-81-300-integral.thumb.png.b4f1425656b7f62411380fbaa21fad12.png

But that's 2979, not 2987.

It says replaced by 19D798...

And then there's this illustration.

But that's 2979, not 2987.

Interesting that the illustration shows the compressor laying over on its side. I have mine standing up, but there are mounting bosses on 3 sides. It does come pretty close to the hood, maybe I should lay it over. I think it is a "York" style compressor, it resembles the one in the illustration.