Bullnose Forums

Gas tank straps to crossmembers

Gents,

On your side mount fuel tanks, how far are the straps from touching the bottom of the crossmembers? 1”? 3”?

2F1DECC9-EF71-461E-B4BB-C142299BE338.jpeg.5974e83e40165fc84f5d51f25e50338d.jpeg

I had a set of new 19gal tank straps that I modified to fit a swb 16gal tank, but they ended up being too long. So I bought new swb 16gal tank straps and they seem like they are way too short.

I’m going to make new bolts with 3/8” threaded rod...I guess, but just curious how long they’re supposed to be?

With my 19 gallon side tank the straps don't come anywhere near touching.

The bolts are very long, with lots of thread exposed.

This is true from the factory, and with the replacement straps that came with my new tank.

I reused the long bolts.

I can get under and measure the gap (and the bolts) if you like.

But maybe it's better if someone with a shortbed does the checking.

Dave???? :nabble_smiley_thinking:

With my 19 gallon side tank the straps don't come anywhere near touching.

The bolts are very long, with lots of thread exposed.

This is true from the factory, and with the replacement straps that came with my new tank.

I reused the long bolts.

I can get under and measure the gap (and the bolts) if you like.

But maybe it's better if someone with a shortbed does the checking.

Dave???? :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I can look later today to see what Big Blue's are like, but I think there's only about 1" of gap. However, other trucks I've worked on have had several inches of gap, so the 1" on Big Blue might be because I'm running a '95 tank in an '85 truck.

I can look later today to see what Big Blue's are like, but I think there's only about 1" of gap. However, other trucks I've worked on have had several inches of gap, so the 1" on Big Blue might be because I'm running a '95 tank in an '85 truck.

I will get out and check in a bit to see what my 16 is like.

Dave ----

I will get out and check in a bit to see what my 16 is like.

Dave ----

No worries gents I already installed the new straps and tightened them down. Oddly, the front strap ended up about 3/4” from the crossmember, and the rear strap a good 3” maybe 4”, but they’re tight and not going anywhere. That’s the main thing. Thanks all.

No worries gents I already installed the new straps and tightened them down. Oddly, the front strap ended up about 3/4” from the crossmember, and the rear strap a good 3” maybe 4”, but they’re tight and not going anywhere. That’s the main thing. Thanks all.

Great only if I checked a min ago so I did not need to crawl under my truck :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Well so we have it in 1 place.

On my 81 flare side the front tank straps are almost tight to the cross members F & R and have maybe 2" thread showing.

I did not think of it till now typing this to look at the rear tank straps :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave ----