Bullnose Forums

Windshield removal

Yes, "here" might not be an issue. But my issue came when I sold it out of state.

This truck was originally from California, the PO had it registered here in WA without issue. I'm sure if could be a problem with other states so I do plan on getting the right window, assuming they have it available when the time comes.

Parked facing the sun in the morning the old adhesive gets pretty soft by afternoon. With an angled putty knife I was able to easily drive the blade down through the adhesive and patiently waiting until I had gotten all the way around twice the windshield was ready to be removed, although it does re-bond a good bit if you leave it for several minutes (bathroom break). I am wondering if your windshield integrity had failed in spots given the varying appearance of the glass around the edges (grey/white patches) I have heard that is indicative of delamination, making it very easy to crack at the edge, any glass installers out there?

Parked facing the sun in the morning the old adhesive gets pretty soft by afternoon. With an angled putty knife I was able to easily drive the blade down through the adhesive and patiently waiting until I had gotten all the way around twice the windshield was ready to be removed, although it does re-bond a good bit if you leave it for several minutes (bathroom break). I am wondering if your windshield integrity had failed in spots given the varying appearance of the glass around the edges (grey/white patches) I have heard that is indicative of delamination, making it very easy to crack at the edge, any glass installers out there?

Soapy water or waxed paper will keep the old Butyl seal from re-bonding.

Most lmportant is to keep from putting a tiny flaw in the edge, or localized pressure.

I'm not a windshield installer, but I was a glazier and picture framer for many years

Soapy water or waxed paper will keep the old Butyl seal from re-bonding.

Most lmportant is to keep from putting a tiny flaw in the edge, or localized pressure.

I'm not a windshield installer, but I was a glazier and picture framer for many years

Not tall buildings.

Just store fronts, shower doors and the like..

There are glass installers around, I just like the challenge and trying stuff myself. I knew the window was very likely to break so I wasn't super concerned. The installers in the area quote replacement cost anyways just in case it breaks on removal.

I haven't had a chance to get back at it as I've had to fix stuff around the house and then I injured myself lol. I hope to finish the job this weekend.

Some of the light spots around the edge are where the cold knife caught on the glass because I didn't have the angle right so I ended up chipping in that spot and then cracked when I tried to get the knife out a little too aggressively.

Doesn't help that it's parked in my garage so it doesn't get super warm. I've got the two sides done and about half of the top edge so far. I hope it doesn't re stick it self...

There are glass installers around, I just like the challenge and trying stuff myself. I knew the window was very likely to break so I wasn't super concerned. The installers in the area quote replacement cost anyways just in case it breaks on removal.

I haven't had a chance to get back at it as I've had to fix stuff around the house and then I injured myself lol. I hope to finish the job this weekend.

Some of the light spots around the edge are where the cold knife caught on the glass because I didn't have the angle right so I ended up chipping in that spot and then cracked when I tried to get the knife out a little too aggressively.

Doesn't help that it's parked in my garage so it doesn't get super warm. I've got the two sides done and about half of the top edge so far. I hope it doesn't re stick it self...

Just a FYI there is a tool made to cut the tape and if you dont rock or twist it you should not break the glass

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-87900-Windshield-Removal/dp/B0002SRDR8/ref=asc_df_B0002SRDR8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312065537890&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16873599520418132999&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009657&hvtargid=pla-568275211322&psc=1

7cbd0913-7dec-4b0c-bb56-64e8fb051811_1.jpeg.e45bd95d3d7f5a17fb08df1a1d5e9ace.jpeg

That is what I use to cut any glass out when I need to.

Dave ----

I have what is essentially the powered version of the old hook knife.

s-l500.jpg.fbffac4fbcd7de3afc1c9670ad55c48e.jpg

But I don't have the time (or weather!) to get it done.

that's what I have lol,

that's what I have lol,

LOL I find starting in down in the middle of the tape and when you start to pull it to tilt it just a bit so it will come up to the glass and cut between the glass & tape.

It is a fine line of getting the blade to be to the glass but not so much it puts pressure on it to crack the glass.

The blade that Jim showed fits in a power head and rocks side to side to cut the glue.

I have seen them but never used one and dont know if I would as I think it works to fast and would not be able to control it as needed.

Dave ----