Bullnose Forums

Windshield removal

I've found some more rust on my truck, specifically above the windshield on the drivers side. I want to remove the windshield so that I can clean the area to better judge if the repair is something I can tackle.

I have the chrome trim off, except for the bottom.

My question is this, does the cowl have to come off in order to cut the sealant? I plan on buying the tools necessary to properly pull the bottom chrome and cut the seal.

IMG_20210421_154701_734.jpg.1a75d4f75eb10aecb218b6e5cb57af24.jpg

IMG_20210421_154720_265.jpg.44784f565b6ef5e15e6d57d3a1ac289d.jpg

I have a hole there too, and sealed it up with epoxy for the time being.

I've never seen a shop remove the cowl.

But I don't think I can get my windshield out in one piece, so im subscribing to see how this turns out.

I think I'm going to have to remove the windshield and do some welding.

The place that's done my auto glass in the past was bought up by a chain and everyone I've worked with is gone.

I do have an offset hook blade for my Fein oscillating tool that will cut the windshield out, but then what???

But I don't think I can get my windshield out in one piece, so im subscribing to see how this turns out.

The place that's done my auto glass in the past was bought up by a chain and everyone I've worked with is gone.

I do have an offset hook blade for my Fein oscillating tool that will cut the windshield out, but then what???

I've ordered a cold knife and trim removal tool, they should be here on Friday.

I'm not super concerned about getting the windshield out intact, but I'm sure going to try. Even the glass shop I spoke with said there's always a chance it breaks on removal so they quote the full replacement price.

I'm seriously hoping that the actual ledge is intact since I'm not confident in my ability to weld something in that has to be flat. Where the hole is I only have to be close since it's hidden by the trim.

Assuming that the tools get here early enough on Friday I will be making the removal attempt that night.

0/10 DO NOT RECOMMEND.

I managed to crack the windshield before even getting to the removal tool. I either applied too much pressure taking the wiper arm off or when trying to wrestle the lower chrome trim off. Either way it was cracked before I started.

The picture is after trying to use the removal tool

IMG_20210423_212039_293.jpg.376ced54e55a55908829b230ff0f41bd.jpg

I also discovered a few more rust holes along the bottom, and that one of the previous owners decided to just goop on urethane to try and stop the leak.

IMG_20210423_212033_266.jpg.f61be0df33ab1aedc558836e6f0fae44.jpg

IMG_20210423_212118_182.jpg.e81c4b4cdde0021d8256c1a9074afc94.jpg

I gave up after roughly 2 and a half hours and dripping from head to toe with sweat. I managed to get to two sides cut and roughly half of the top. I'll continue on Sunday night.

0/10 DO NOT RECOMMEND.

I managed to crack the windshield before even getting to the removal tool. I either applied too much pressure taking the wiper arm off or when trying to wrestle the lower chrome trim off. Either way it was cracked before I started.

The picture is after trying to use the removal tool

I also discovered a few more rust holes along the bottom, and that one of the previous owners decided to just goop on urethane to try and stop the leak.

I gave up after roughly 2 and a half hours and dripping from head to toe with sweat. I managed to get to two sides cut and roughly half of the top. I'll continue on Sunday night.

Make sure you point out to the windshield shop where your VIN is located.

Otherwise they will give you a glass with the later ('87-'96) cutout and it will be hidden.

.... I think they offer one without the black border.

The G-Flex I drizzled in the top of my windshield seems to have fixed the leak.

Obviously it hasn't fixed the hole.

So I need to get the windshield out and weld that up.

Make sure you point out to the windshield shop where your VIN is located.

Otherwise they will give you a glass with the later ('87-'96) cutout and it will be hidden.

.... I think they offer one without the black border.

The G-Flex I drizzled in the top of my windshield seems to have fixed the leak.

Obviously it hasn't fixed the hole.

So I need to get the windshield out and weld that up.

Chris - Cracking the glass is a bummer, but not unexpected. At least you'll be able to work on the truck w/it out.

And I fully agree with Jim - don't let them put a later windshield in. I did and when I tried to sell the truck I ran into problems as the DMV couldn't read the VIN.

Chris - Cracking the glass is a bummer, but not unexpected. At least you'll be able to work on the truck w/it out.

And I fully agree with Jim - don't let them put a later windshield in. I did and when I tried to sell the truck I ran into problems as the DMV couldn't read the VIN.

You can see it in his photo above^^^^

You can see it in his photo above^^^^

I was going to say the same thing its a later glass with the border.

Glass work you have to go vary vary vary easy with, not to end up like you did.

I was lucky as the tape had dried up and did not stick on 1 side and someone used a sealer so once I got the sealer off and the chrome trim it only took a little cutting with the tool.

I removed the rear glass from my truck and installed the rear myself and had a hand on the front as it was to large & heavy for me alone.

Now years ago I pulled the front & rear glass on my 70 AMC Javelin. You can not get the rear glass any more so that had me puckered up till it was free. Front glass back years ago all you could get was only tinted.

Dave ----

Here it's easy, the DMV didn't even look at the truck, I just went into a licencing place (not state DMV) but a private licencing place.

PO came with and we handed over the paperwork and it was done. Took maybe 10 minutes and I was on my way.

I will ask about getting an earlier windshield for sure.

Here it's easy, the DMV didn't even look at the truck, I just went into a licencing place (not state DMV) but a private licencing place.

PO came with and we handed over the paperwork and it was done. Took maybe 10 minutes and I was on my way.

I will ask about getting an earlier windshield for sure.

Yes, "here" might not be an issue. But my issue came when I sold it out of state.