Bullnose Forums

What kinda leak is this?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it actually coming out of your bellhousing?

If so, rear main seal.

But it is always hard to tell where oil will travel under the hood.

So my best advice is to clean it all off (like spotless and dry) then start the engine for no more than a minute and check again for fresh oil.

We used to use spray on Desenex foot powder as a telltale for weeping.

You can add dye to the oil and a UV flashlight is cheap now that we have LED's. Yellow glasses help.

All this stuff is available at any auto parts or Amazon.

Is it actually coming out of your bellhousing?

If so, rear main seal.

But it is always hard to tell where oil will travel under the hood.

So my best advice is to clean it all off (like spotless and dry) then start the engine for no more than a minute and check again for fresh oil.

We used to use spray on Desenex foot powder as a telltale for weeping.

You can add dye to the oil and a UV flashlight is cheap now that we have LED's. Yellow glasses help.

All this stuff is available at any auto parts or Amazon.

Jim is probably right, but I've seen several engines leak between the intake manifold and the rear wall of the block and it looked like a rear main seal. It flows down the back of the block and seems to get between the block/engine plate/and bell housing and then drip out at the bottom.

So do as Jim said and clean things spotlessly, but include the area above the bell housing and at the back of the block.

Jim is probably right, but I've seen several engines leak between the intake manifold and the rear wall of the block and it looked like a rear main seal. It flows down the back of the block and seems to get between the block/engine plate/and bell housing and then drip out at the bottom.

So do as Jim said and clean things spotlessly, but include the area above the bell housing and at the back of the block.

460's are particularly bad about this, because the oil sender is back there.

Nestled in the 'wave' at the rear of the intake.

460's are particularly bad about this, because the oil sender is back there.

Nestled in the 'wave' at the rear of the intake.

Ditto M-blocks as that's where their sender is. But, on both Rusty's M-block and Big Blue's 460 it wasn't the sender or its plumbing that was the problem. It was a shoddy job installing the intake manifold as there was about a 1/16" gap between the manifold and China wall on both of them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Ditto M-blocks as that's where their sender is. But, on both Rusty's M-block and Big Blue's 460 it wasn't the sender or its plumbing that was the problem. It was a shoddy job installing the intake manifold as there was about a 1/16" gap between the manifold and China wall on both of them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

How do you even miss by that much???

I never use the rubber gaskets anyhow, and just lay a big bead of Ultra Gray or The Right Stuff.

But I did have a leaking sender once, not long after I got this truck.

How do you even miss by that much???

I never use the rubber gaskets anyhow, and just lay a big bead of Ultra Gray or The Right Stuff.

But I did have a leaking sender once, not long after I got this truck.

I don't use the gaskets either, preferring something like TRS or Ultra Gray. And whomever did Rusty's and BB's engines did as well, but left a gap in the bead.

Now, we know that was :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: in BB's case, but Rusty's engine was built here in Okiehoma. So maybe he was visiting his cousin?

I don't use the gaskets either, preferring something like TRS or Ultra Gray. And whomever did Rusty's and BB's engines did as well, but left a gap in the bead.

Now, we know that was :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: in BB's case, but Rusty's engine was built here in Okiehoma. So maybe he was visiting his cousin?

Maybe it was Larry, Moe and Curly?

Sounds like I’m going to do a lot of cleaning! It’s very minor... like a quarter sized spot on the driveway, but it bugs me that she leaks at all!

Best way to access above the bell housing?