Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

This line from under the carburetor goes to the front of the engine close to the tree but not connected. Actually nothing is connected to the tree right now. Does it go here and if so does it matter which connection it uses? The small hard line connects to a soft line.

Randy is reading the diagram correctly. :nabble_smiley_good:

Somewhere in the documentation is a 2 page listing of all these acronyms.

I think Rusty put it together.

Your diagram shows both a Vacuum Control Valve and a Thermal Vacuum Switch.

Does the blue device in your heater hose pipe have 4 ports?

The diagram shows the air cleaner connects directly to the intake manifold, not to any carburetor ports.

I will post my questions one at a time to keep it clear. What is the best way to fix this chewed off line for the vent control it looks like. Does it connect inside where I can replace the whole line? Or do I need to get a very tiny coupler? The line is very small and hard.

Not that I know for certain, but I would think you could clean that area up and use a soft line to connect the two, just as is done in other places on the truck. Those hard lines are all probably very brittle at this point.

I hope you are making a chart for future you that is less cryptic than the Ford diagram. looking at photos, you may have some oil leaks to attend to later, judging from what looks to be caked on sludge on the outside. You may have to remove all your handiwork to get it cleaned and fixed if necessary, so a clear chart that you (at least you) understand would be a nice thing to have.

I need to see if I can find a softline small enough to secure that small hard plastic line. It is very small.

I can assign numbers to the hoses and take pictures if I need to remove them.

The hard vacuum line coming from the distributor I found was just tucked under the air cleaner not connected to anything. Does it connect to a soft line like the other of this type? And where does it connect to?

That should be the vacuum advance and according to your chart looks like "S" on the carb connections. but it also appears to be connected to the "3" line. That's going to be a line that needs to be in good condition to keep your vac advance working correctly. I would suspect there is a connection on base of carb for it? Definitely NOT to the air cleaner housing nipples in the photo. At least I wouldn't think they would do that since air cleaners get changed, removed, etc.

That's about as helpful I can be on these since I don't know the codes on the parts and such on the Ford diagram.

The line just happened to pop up near the air cleaner nipples. It is not attached to it. I found the line under the air cleaner tucked away.

That is my issue. I don't know what those codes mean in real life.

Randy is reading the diagram correctly. :nabble_smiley_good:

Somewhere in the documentation is a 2 page listing of all these acronyms.

I think Rusty put it together.

Your diagram shows both a Vacuum Control Valve and a Thermal Vacuum Switch.

Does the blue device in your heater hose pipe have 4 ports?

The diagram shows the air cleaner connects directly to the intake manifold, not to any carburetor ports.

I haven't tried to verify or tackle the air cleaner vacuum lines yet. I will see if I can find that document you refer to. That would help.

I will post my questions one at a time to keep it clear. What is the best way to fix this chewed off line for the vent control it looks like. Does it connect inside where I can replace the whole line? Or do I need to get a very tiny coupler? The line is very small and hard.

Not that I know for certain, but I would think you could clean that area up and use a soft line to connect the two, just as is done in other places on the truck. Those hard lines are all probably very brittle at this point.

I hope you are making a chart for future you that is less cryptic than the Ford diagram. looking at photos, you may have some oil leaks to attend to later, judging from what looks to be caked on sludge on the outside. You may have to remove all your handiwork to get it cleaned and fixed if necessary, so a clear chart that you (at least you) understand would be a nice thing to have.

I need to see if I can find a softline small enough to secure that small hard plastic line. It is very small.

I can assign numbers to the hoses and take pictures if I need to remove them.

I think my truck has a piece of lurid green tygon weed wacker fuel line as a splice on the fresh air door of my truck.

But actual vacuum line comes in very small internal diameters.

I think my truck has a piece of lurid green tygon weed wacker fuel line as a splice on the fresh air door of my truck.

But actual vacuum line comes in very small internal diameters.

Documentation>vacuum systems>vacuum systems.

It doesn't make that much sense to me.

I'd think to look under Emissions for a Rosetta Stone.

Maybe Gary can add a hyperlink when he gets back?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96902/PXL_20210513_235839372_2.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96902/PXL_20210513_235843235_2.jpg

First thing I would do is not reuse any of the plastic lines because you will add a little rubber hose to get them to "connect" and next thing you know the plastic broke some where else!

Ok on this HVAC pass through mine broke in the middle of that rubber part and would not let vacuum pass through. If you go inside the truck you can see where is comes through IIRC.

I traced out where the 2 lines went so I knew how to run the new hoses.

I then made the pass through holes bigger and pushed 2 rubber hoses through.

The lines inside were still in good shape so I was able to connect the hoses to them.

1 hose connects to the valve in the picture the other hose is the vacuum supply to the HVAC system and think connects to the vacuum tree on the firewall with the 3 or 4 nipples.

1 of the 3 / 4 nipples has a hose from the intake manifold as the vacuum supply, think the rest were capped?

I also installed a heater core bypass valve so when on max AC the hot coolant does not go to the heater core so I get more cold AC :nabble_anim_jump:

Dave ----

This line from under the carburetor goes to the front of the engine close to the tree but not connected. Actually nothing is connected to the tree right now. Does it go here and if so does it matter which connection it uses? The small hard line connects to a soft line.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96904/PXL_20210514_000100480_2.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96904/PXL_20210514_000109142_2.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96904/1620921444828-b19c214f-50be-48ac-b721-b3d8e5b0d8c7_.jpg

Think Jim posted about the 2 page sheet of what the letters mean on the sticker.

Find what you have on your sticker and if still in the truck.

I think that some of the same things control 2 or more things like the Purge CV and the EGR valve and air bypass (air pump?) with Tees.

I think once you figure what all the sticker says and what you have then you can figure how you want to plumb everything.

I do not have my EGR working. Its plugged inside that you cant see and no vacuum to it.

I did want the vapor purge as I did not want to smell fumes but I do not have the Purge CV so I did it my way.

I think you can do the same but use the Purge CV and just not use Tees to feed the other parts.

On any multi port, more than 2, parts it does make a difference how it gets connected.

As for the 2 port part the same kind of goes for them also. 1 side is in the other is out, ie: check valve.

Dave ----

The hard vacuum line coming from the distributor I found was just tucked under the air cleaner not connected to anything. Does it connect to a soft line like the other of this type? And where does it connect to?

That should be the vacuum advance and according to your chart looks like "S" on the carb connections. but it also appears to be connected to the "3" line. That's going to be a line that needs to be in good condition to keep your vac advance working correctly. I would suspect there is a connection on base of carb for it? Definitely NOT to the air cleaner housing nipples in the photo. At least I wouldn't think they would do that since air cleaners get changed, removed, etc.

That's about as helpful I can be on these since I don't know the codes on the parts and such on the Ford diagram.

I wonder if it goes here using a rubber line coupler? Just found this one with nothing attached.

PXL_20210514_235037012_2.jpg.2bdac9a0e836625fa623583502ef87be.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96902/PXL_20210513_235839372_2.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96902/PXL_20210513_235843235_2.jpg

First thing I would do is not reuse any of the plastic lines because you will add a little rubber hose to get them to "connect" and next thing you know the plastic broke some where else!

Ok on this HVAC pass through mine broke in the middle of that rubber part and would not let vacuum pass through. If you go inside the truck you can see where is comes through IIRC.

I traced out where the 2 lines went so I knew how to run the new hoses.

I then made the pass through holes bigger and pushed 2 rubber hoses through.

The lines inside were still in good shape so I was able to connect the hoses to them.

1 hose connects to the valve in the picture the other hose is the vacuum supply to the HVAC system and think connects to the vacuum tree on the firewall with the 3 or 4 nipples.

1 of the 3 / 4 nipples has a hose from the intake manifold as the vacuum supply, think the rest were capped?

I also installed a heater core bypass valve so when on max AC the hot coolant does not go to the heater core so I get more cold AC :nabble_anim_jump:

Dave ----

Do you have a picture of your heater core bypass valve. Is it automatic or manual valve?