Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

After installing the new fuel pump I tested that it could pull a vacuum. After that I put a fuel container on the ground and let it pump up the fuel whilst cranking the engine. The test worked good so it looks like I am ready to install the fuel tank. I also installed the threaded fuel filter on the carburetor. It seemed not to want to stop when I was screwing it in. I worried I might crack the carburetor. So I just snugged it up and didn't try to go any tighter. If it leaks I can always tighten up some more.

I ran into another delay installing the fuel tank. Inline Tube got back to me yesterday. I thought they forgot about me and I would have to just run with the short line but they said the line tech found an alternate pattern that matches my original and will whip one up for me and ship it out. So I don't want to install the tank and remove it again so going to hold off for now. I may try to start the truck from a gas can because I really want to hear it run for the first time for some motivation.

I see the clip is on the valve cover and not the air filter assembly like I thought :nabble_smiley_blush:

Guess you are right.

If you have the under hood vacuum line sticker it's not hard to follow.

If Jonathan has all the parts, mainly the purge valve, then shouldn't be too hard to run the lines.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave, I think the purge valve is not hard to find on eBay but I am having trouble isolating what it is connected to it. It looks like more then just vacuum lines. It appears to be a connection of sorts. I wish I could find some good pictures of a complete and accurate truck.

Yours is a vacuum purge and not electric or right?

Let me look at my sticker when I get home to see if I can shed some light on this.

Oh I don't have any purge valve or I would take a picture or 2.

Dave. ----

Let me look at my sticker when I get home to see if I can shed some light on this.

Dave. ----

I think mine is a vacuum purge because not California Emissions model. I don't recall seeing any vacuum solenoid.

Thanks for checking your sticker when you get a chance.

Dave. ----

I found a picture of your vacuum diagram in the link in your signature. Also I see your PCV was blocked off like mine. Do you mind if I share the picture here?

I found this picture online that said this was from an 81'. Interesting the location of the purge is in a different spot close to the tee of the carb and not next to the PCV.

https://nc4x4.com/forum/threads/project-84-f150-fishing-truck-aka-the-blue-horse.190263/page-2

So far from what I can tell I need these two parts. Does anyone know what the full part number would be? I am starting to think that bundle connected to the purge valve is just vacuum lines and maybe another tee wire tied together and not another part.

12A245 Two Way Delay Valve

9B963 Canister Purge Valve

12A245.thumb.jpg.70ee16fd6ad6f5b9e71ba86c597bfc7e.jpg

Purge.thumb.jpg.b7d89d294e307c098a2bbea32a524cc4.jpg

Screenshot_2021-05-12_1980-89-Ford-Light-Truck-Parts-Catalog-Illus_pdf.thumb.png.88f8dea8d90a31aa956d01af4dd8ff03.png

So far from what I can tell I need these two parts. Does anyone know what the full part number would be? I am starting to think that bundle connected to the purge valve is just vacuum lines and maybe another tee wire tied together and not another part.

The way to find the part numbers you need is to determine the calibration code for your truck, which then gives you the calibration parts list.

To do that, go to Documentation/CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S and read the intro. Perhaps you have the calibration code on the valve cover? If not, go to the Application To Parts List tab. There you'll find a bunch of #'s for various trucks and you can get it down to a short list of #'s for your truck based on the various parameters.

Then go to the Parts Lists tab and scroll down to those lists and compare them. You may find that they all use the same delay and purge valves, which will answer your question(s).

I didn't realize that the 4.9 had a second canister on the outside of the frame rail. 💡

It looks like you would use 9B999 as well.

I'm going to assume this is the three port connector.

I was definitely wrong in thinking you had the solenoid you show for California.

Later 4.9's had a bank of solenoids stop the valve cover.

I guess these are what I have seen. But obviously I haven't seen it all.

The way to find the part numbers you need is to determine the calibration code for your truck, which then gives you the calibration parts list.

To do that, go to Documentation/CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S and read the intro. Perhaps you have the calibration code on the valve cover? If not, go to the Application To Parts List tab. There you'll find a bunch of #'s for various trucks and you can get it down to a short list of #'s for your truck based on the various parameters.

Then go to the Parts Lists tab and scroll down to those lists and compare them. You may find that they all use the same delay and purge valves, which will answer your question(s).

Thanks for the info, I will try and figure that out.

I didn't realize that the 4.9 had a second canister on the outside of the frame rail. 💡

I was definitely wrong in thinking you had the solenoid you show for California.

I have not seen a second canister yet on my truck. I need to check again.

I couldn't find anything when I looked up 9B999 online yesterday with a picture of what it looks like or a way to order it.

I have not seen a second canister yet on my truck. I need to check again.

I couldn't find anything when I looked up 9B999 online yesterday with a picture of what it looks like or a way to order it.

I'm just reading the notes in the upper right hand corner of fig.9. (Which is a challenge on my phone)

We've already determined you don't have the California system with a solenoid.