Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

I changed the rear diff gear oil on Sunday. I picked up the cheapest oil AutoZone had because it was only two dollars more then Wal-Mart, so it saved me a trip. I also picked up a pump they had for the new oil. The pump was not that great, the hose kept coming off and the straw did not go down all the way to the bottom of the 1 gallon bottle. So it can only pump out three quarts before it starts sucking air. It took me over an hour of pumping by hand to get the oil out using my old Wal-Mart fluid transfer pump. It didn't help that after I cleaned off and removed the fill plug there is a lot of crap blocking you from getting the hand pump hose in. So I had to step down all the way to a moped fuel line and vacuum adapter to get the hose to the bottom. The whole process really sucked. I used the whole gallon of oil but I spilled a lot every time the pump hose popped off. I actually over filled until it was poring out. I didn't give it a chance to level off and drain because I was parked on a hill. After it was poring out I quickly put the plug back in. After the truck is level I am thinking about removing the fill plug and let it drain the excess. Please let me know your thoughts on this plan.

That’s a pain getting gear oil out like that. If I have room I use bottles like these and pour and squeeze for filling.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/synpower-full-synthetic-gear-oil

Your plan sounds good to me.

That’s a pain getting gear oil out like that. If I have room I use bottles like these and pour and squeeze for filling.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/synpower-full-synthetic-gear-oil

The 1 gallon is more economical which I prefer because I am cheap. :nabble_smiley_happy: I will try to modify the pump so it reaches the bottom and secure the hose so it won't pop off. But I could see how the squeeze bottle would be easier if the truck is on the lift. On the ground you can pump with one hand as it sits next to it.

Does anyone know of a good powered pump that could use to move oil for future use? I got a fuel pump, not sure if it will work with oil or not.

The 1 gallon is more economical which I prefer because I am cheap. :nabble_smiley_happy: I will try to modify the pump so it reaches the bottom and secure the hose so it won't pop off. But I could see how the squeeze bottle would be easier if the truck is on the lift. On the ground you can pump with one hand as it sits next to it.

Does anyone know of a good powered pump that could use to move oil for future use? I got a fuel pump, not sure if it will work with oil or not.

Because there is no easy way to drain the rear oil I have not done so.

I guess I should check it as I have not done that either :nabble_smiley_blush:

I used the same pump to fill the NP435 trans but I used Red Line MT-90 oil and it is a little lighter weight so not bad to pump.

Like you I found with the gallon jug on the floor you could pump with 1 hand.

I also found it would not pump from the bottom of the jug but the trans was full before I needed the last bit.

I had 2 empty RL oil MT-90 qt bottles so put the rest in 1 of them.

Now if I needed that last bit I would have put it in the qt bottle and pumped from it.

Or added a hose to the tube to reach the bottom of the gallon jug.

Dave ----

Because there is no easy way to drain the rear oil I have not done so.

I guess I should check it as I have not done that either :nabble_smiley_blush:

I used the same pump to fill the NP435 trans but I used Red Line MT-90 oil and it is a little lighter weight so not bad to pump.

Like you I found with the gallon jug on the floor you could pump with 1 hand.

I also found it would not pump from the bottom of the jug but the trans was full before I needed the last bit.

I had 2 empty RL oil MT-90 qt bottles so put the rest in 1 of them.

Now if I needed that last bit I would have put it in the qt bottle and pumped from it.

Or added a hose to the tube to reach the bottom of the gallon jug.

Dave ----

No Monday updates. I was so beat that after work today I didn't feel like doing anything. This was the only tool I used.

PXL_20210607_224906628.jpg.286cefe825c3470cc6d14536bf38c563.jpg

No Monday updates. I was so beat that after work today I didn't feel like doing anything. This was the only tool I used.

In a pinch some seat belt buckles can be used to do the same thing :nabble_smiley_wink:

Some times you just need to sit back and admire the truck

Dave ----

In a pinch some seat belt buckles can be used to do the same thing :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

I remember that tip if I get into a jam. I'm sure my dentist will appreciate the alternative.

Dave ----

I remember that tip if I get into a jam. I'm sure my dentist will appreciate the alternative.

Turns out there is a lock hidden behind a bunch of dirt. I was hoping the strange large key the previous owner gave me may work for the spare tire lock but it doesn't. How should I proceed? Looks like the hood release may take the same key.

PXL_20210608_222008572.jpg.97d248bb153cd9d2e6c122ee8d9ddd3a.jpg

PXL_20210608_222143921.jpg.77f03ae67c977d4ec17e5a32e9d535eb.jpg

PXL_20210608_223218847.jpg.d331798451b43d6a59af08a4ca0c1d2c.jpg

PXL_20210608_223717986.jpg.626df3694266644d21f57dab067cde66.jpg

PXL_20210608_223933123.jpg.cdfa61483c3f77affc75171b4497d63d.jpg

Turns out there is a lock hidden behind a bunch of dirt. I was hoping the strange large key the previous owner gave me may work for the spare tire lock but it doesn't. How should I proceed? Looks like the hood release may take the same key.

I am not sure if the lock was not used properly or it is not designed well but I was able to get the bolt off. I didn't bend and strip it. The bolt was like that. It was not easy to get off with the lock in the way but managed to spin it with a pry bar after removing the other side. Any sources for this bolt with the eye? I found one similar looking for a later model year but I don't know if the thread pattern is the same or length. I dropped the lock at my locksmith tonight to see if he can make me a key for it. They key I have fits inside but does not turn the lock. I am hoping that if he makes me a key it will match the hood release too.

I put the hardware in the sonic cleaner and will see what I can do. Looks like I need a bigger sonic cleaner.

PXL_20210608_235559928.jpg.90f57334a1aa14e45465f8f1c20fa9b9.jpg

PXL_20210608_235603081.jpg.d7abef63d7bbff388b644721c3d6d099.jpg

PXL_20210608_235609862.jpg.4b5821c4c0b55e8422f546ed87774bb3.jpg

PXL_20210609_001614342.jpg.7d6b0be8dadb9036696f175c4577d1f1.jpg

PXL_20210609_001816237.jpg.0b6466eb4bab36b05ee4fcd96e0991fa.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-203707.thumb.png.fc5468e0450b08f184d015fe7fe9a0c0.png

So the oval key is for the doors.

I never had the optional 'security' of a locking good release or the spare tire lock, but I don't think the bitting is the same as the door cylinders.

Someone who did get this option may correct me....

How important is it to you to have your spare tire locked?

Because most of us never had a problem, and I have a whole lot of years and miles on my truck.

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to get that hinge pin out the bottom of it.

Again, I don't know because I've never had to defeat one.

As far as getting a key that does fit, I'm pretty sure there's a bitting code on the hood lock.

They would be the same. And a locksmith could cut a key to that code.

That's not to say it isn't rusted solid inside.

So the oval key is for the doors.

I never had the optional 'security' of a locking good release or the spare tire lock, but I don't think the bitting is the same as the door cylinders.

Someone who did get this option may correct me....

How important is it to you to have your spare tire locked?

Because most of us never had a problem, and I have a whole lot of years and miles on my truck.

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to get that hinge pin out the bottom of it.

Again, I don't know because I've never had to defeat one.

As far as getting a key that does fit, I'm pretty sure there's a bitting code on the hood lock.

They would be the same. And a locksmith could cut a key to that code.

That's not to say it isn't rusted solid inside.

Ha! I was busy looking at posts while you responded to your own.

There's nothing unique to the spare tire retainer.

I do not know if something changed with the aeronose & OBS trucks.

I DO know my '87 bolt is the same as a Bullnose.

IIRC I did have to find a metric stamped nut to go on the frame.