Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

Before I put everything back together in the front drivers side I need to replace the body mounts. I will put the front mount back in first then remove the cab mount. I thought at first the bolt went into the cab but it is actually part of the frame under the cab. This will be fun to try and get a wrench in that small hole to keep the bolt from moving.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n115547/PXL_20210926_201905702.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n115547/PXL_20220315_215627071.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n115547/PXL_20220315_215704380.jpg

I did not need to get a wrench on that nut for the cab mounts they came right out after spraying them down for weeks.

Dave ----

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I put everything back together in the front drivers side I need to replace the body mounts. I will put the front mount back in first then remove the cab mount. I thought at first the bolt went into the cab but it is actually part of the frame under the cab. This will be fun to try and get a wrench in that small hole to keep the bolt from moving.

I did not need to get a wrench on that nut for the cab mounts they came right out after spraying them down for weeks.

Dave ----

is there some reason that you did not remove the floor plug and get right to it with a ratchet?

My old brain box still works and I want to keep it as a backup. I wonder what replacement brain juice I can put in? It looks like it just prevents the board from corrosion and maybe heat dissipation.

My box also leaked down the liner and dripped on the house garage floor where the truck is parked and it will not come off the floor :nabble_smiley_angry:

I dont remember what I used on the plastic but may have been a putty knife?

Then maybe thinner to wipe what was left off?

I got as much of it as I could as my truck is all together and was not pulling it apart to wash this.

Dave ----

Mine still worked also and is a back up but I dont keep it in the truck as I dont need it leaking more inside it.

I would not even look into trying to re-potting it.

The reason I replaced it was I thought it was a cause for truck to jerk and the dash turn lights to flash at the same time. It did not fix the issue and have since found the AC compressor kicking on & off really fast, low on charge.

Dave ----

It might be fun to play with. Replace worn components, clean up the case, make a new sticker for the top and re-pot it. Not sure if I can get new connectors for it or not. If I recall correctly they might have a broken lock tab.

My old brain box still works and I want to keep it as a backup. I wonder what replacement brain juice I can put in? It looks like it just prevents the board from corrosion and maybe heat dissipation.

My box also leaked down the liner and dripped on the house garage floor where the truck is parked and it will not come off the floor :nabble_smiley_angry:

I dont remember what I used on the plastic but may have been a putty knife?

Then maybe thinner to wipe what was left off?

I got as much of it as I could as my truck is all together and was not pulling it apart to wash this.

Dave ----

Mine still worked also and is a back up but I dont keep it in the truck as I dont need it leaking more inside it.

I would not even look into trying to re-potting it.

The reason I replaced it was I thought it was a cause for truck to jerk and the dash turn lights to flash at the same time. It did not fix the issue and have since found the AC compressor kicking on & off really fast, low on charge.

Dave ----

Dave ----

That whole thing just baffled me yesterday. No mater what I did I could not get it to spin off from the nut side on the bottom. I had to turn the bolt at the top only. Just does not make sense to me as to why.

Dave ----

That whole thing just baffled me yesterday. No mater what I did I could not get it to spin off from the nut side on the bottom. I had to turn the bolt at the top only. Just does not make sense to me as to why.

Dave ----

I did not pull mine apart or replace them but my guess is that nut is made as part of the washer and the tube that runs inside the rubber bushings that is then put through the frame. Then the other half of the rubber bushing is put on the top of the tube and another washer. The bolt then is put down through the assy. and tighten till the assy gets tight. You cant go to tight as the assy. stops when the tube hits the upper washer I think.

The bushing is king of a press fit and why a jig needs to be used the get the bushings off the frame.

Because of the press fit is why the bottom nut / washer / tube dose not spin when undoing the bolt from the top. You know I dont remember even looking at the nuts on the bottom if they would spin when undoing them.

Good to hear they came off with no issues.

Dave ----

is there some reason that you did not remove the floor plug and get right to it with a ratchet?

Actually I did not even see that access cover until I stuck my phone inside the hole. The inspection camera has a very narrow field of view and I did not notice it at first. But after I saw the access port was covered by carpet I was not ready to start pulling apart the interior to access it. So I did the right thing and just cut up my hand 100 times on sharp screws protruding out from inside the cab trying to get at the bolt though the small opening. After getting the bolt loose after what seemed like hours I couldn't remove it because not enough head room. So I went in the cab and started to pull on the carpet a little. The carpet was damp and torn and it unzipped like a zipper back so I just went with it.

PXL_20220320_223611496.jpg.4da53b289fe6015eb68ac2dd0626928c.jpg

PXL_20220320_223852620.jpg.ae5707b9334264834431ea0ef7c39381.jpg

PXL_20220320_224056772.jpg.18c3f157c22aa3460822739807571ed6.jpg

Maybe he did not want to pull up the door sills, kick panels and the rug?

But that is the way you get to the bolt.

Dave ----

You got it exactly right after I discovered it was there. But later I found out the carpet was ruined anyway so just yanked it back.

Maybe he did not want to pull up the door sills, kick panels and the rug?

But that is the way you get to the bolt.

Dave ----

Dave ----

I did not pull mine apart or replace them but my guess is that nut is made as part of the washer and the tube that runs inside the rubber bushings that is then put through the frame. Then the other half of the rubber bushing is put on the top of the tube and another washer. The bolt then is put down through the assy. and tighten till the assy gets tight. You cant go to tight as the assy. stops when the tube hits the upper washer I think.

The bushing is king of a press fit and why a jig needs to be used the get the bushings off the frame.

Because of the press fit is why the bottom nut / washer / tube dose not spin when undoing the bolt from the top. You know I dont remember even looking at the nuts on the bottom if they would spin when undoing them.

Dave ----

Interesting you mention that it is a press fit because this is what I am stuck on now. I need to make a jig to get the nut and plate off. It looks like the nut is welded to the washer on the bottom and somehow it is stuck on. I tried prying on it with a pry bar and it won't come off the rubber. The instructions mention making a puller assembly to remove it. I will try that later and report back.

Dave ----

Dave ----

PXL_20220320_214608574.jpg.0b5d94f076de19fa5ddfe0a78f081c1a.jpg

PXL_20220320_231123685.jpg.0504855187120e64d72e3fe7ee6723f4.jpg

Screenshot_20220321-102915.png.99410aa97be9708d50d41ea07dd50c70.png

Interesting you mention that it is a press fit because this is what I am stuck on now. I need to make a jig to get the nut and plate off. It looks like the nut is welded to the washer on the bottom and somehow it is stuck on. I tried prying on it with a pry bar and it won't come off the rubber. The instructions mention making a puller assembly to remove it. I will try that later and report back.

Dave ----

Dave ----

I notice the factory bolts have a rather large radius under the head.

Suspect this is what anchors the bushings together.

I ended up just cutting through the mount and sleeve because it's all garbage anyhow.

You seem to be far more dedicated to doing things correctly than I am. :nabble_smiley_good: