Bullnose Forums

1986 F-250 XLT 6.9 idi C6 switch to 300 4 speed

nic55kel

I've never seen that done, but it makes sense. Well done!

Good luck on the engine.

Well I got a few tests done on the engine today,

vacuum 18 - 19 at idle and steady. Vacuum rose slightly as the engine warmed up.

Compression:

1 125

2 150

3 140

4 145

5 150

6 135

Did not put a gage on the oil pressure but it is reading on the m even when hot so good enough.

I am impressed with the compression readings on an engine that has not run in years.

Number 1 is slightly down but who knows how it will be after fresh oil and working for a while.

I am only going to do a reseal and then retest after an oil change and a few good hard runs.

Bob

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got a few tests done on the engine today,

vacuum 18 - 19 at idle and steady. Vacuum rose slightly as the engine warmed up.

Compression:

1 125

2 150

3 140

4 145

5 150

6 135

Did not put a gage on the oil pressure but it is reading on the m even when hot so good enough.

I am impressed with the compression readings on an engine that has not run in years.

Number 1 is slightly down but who knows how it will be after fresh oil and working for a while.

I am only going to do a reseal and then retest after an oil change and a few good hard runs.

Bob

Those are pretty good numbers, Bob. I'll bet it runs quite well. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 weeks later...

Those are pretty good numbers, Bob. I'll bet it runs quite well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes Gary the adventure begins.

I am really impressed with how nicely that 300 starts and runs.

I disposed of the camper - A guy I knew took it to salvage the appliances.

I got it off the truck okay but with none of the jacks working it was rather precarious. A sudden gust of wind demonstrated how precarious as the camper did a twist and fell to the ground. We were all standing back as we did not trust it at all.

Then we skidded it onto the back of a trailer. Gone - yahoo!

I pulled the C6 and GV and sold that.

Today I pulled the engine. I had been looking at it and deciding whether or not I needed to pull the hood.

I looked at the hood hinges and figured if I undid the springs the hood would open higher and if I loosened the cowl I could lift the hood even higher - hmm?

Decided to go ahead and try pulling it and if I needed to move the hood I would do as above.

It was a very close thing but I managed to pull the engine without having to do anything with the hood.

IMG_1212.jpg.5ede07ac6455cb20bbf9bc7fc2520afc.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg.6a4b70bb4215368c01d8c59c3d450abe.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg.48ac9bb557d00bdd833adac5e4b9db09.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg.cafd088e68d2caad7875a731f1f15ce8.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg.448d047b160a5a893348ea12febc8a05.jpg

On the donor truck I have been soaking fasteners with atf/acetone mix to hopefully get them to break free without too much effort. On first attempt with trying to loosen them they are not budging. So will soak several times and see how they are.

Gary I have been reading your big blue transformation thread and I am about 1/3 way through. That is epic and encourages me to keep moving forward.

I got it off the truck okay but with none of the jacks working it was rather precarious. A sudden gust of wind demonstrated how precarious as the camper did a twist and fell to the ground. We were all standing back as we did not trust it at all.

Today I pulled the engine. I had been looking at it and deciding whether or not I needed to pull the hood.

I looked at the hood hinges and figured if I undid the springs the hood would open higher and if I loosened the cowl I could lift the hood even higher - hmm?

Decided to go ahead and try pulling it and if I needed to move the hood I would do as above.

It was a very close thing but I managed to pull the engine without having to do anything with the hood.

On the donor truck I have been soaking fasteners with atf/acetone mix to hopefully get them to break free without too much effort. On first attempt with trying to loosen them they are not budging. So will soak several times and see how they are.

Gary I have been reading your big blue transformation thread and I am about 1/3 way through. That is epic and encourages me to keep moving forward.

Yes, it is an adventure. And sometimes they are epic adventures. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Seriously though, I find that posting what I've done each day helps me, in several ways. One, if I need to refer back to what I've done I can find it, and I've had to do that frequently. Two, just looking at the truck doesn't say "You've really, REALLY done a whole lot!" But when I go back and read some of it I'm blown away with what's been done. And three, I get encouragement from the comments of others.

So, I highly recommend that you track your progress, and as often as you can. You'll be surprised how much benefit you get from it.

As for what you've done, you are certainly making progress. Getting the camper off w/o getting hurt sounds like an adventure. Selling the GV was probably easy, as they are sought after. But getting that engine out, and especially w/o removing the hood, is quite an accomplishment. Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

That's a really impressive engine crane Bob!

Looks like it has hydraulic motors in the hubs too??? :nabble_smiley_cool:

That's a really impressive engine crane Bob!

Looks like it has hydraulic motors in the hubs too??? :nabble_smiley_cool:

Gary, thanks for the encouragement and I will try to document more details.

Jim, thanks on the engine hoist. the axle is an 8.8 out of a 1990 F150 with a hydrostatic drive. The steering and fore and aft is controlled by the large joystick with a trailer ball knob on top.

hydraulic_drive_001.jpg.a120f39667c02c92ca948c88e157a708.jpg

Petard_008.jpg.b91bd48ae893a4ef6a3fda2e2dbb8066.jpg

Call_Centre_018.jpg.8383e6485d5e559c030c9b14a58fbdec.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg.edca3f647b4606ab71a601923bad456a.jpg

I built it in 2013 and I usually have a platform on it so I can trim trees and it got used a lot when we were doing the roofing on the garage and house.

When I was lifting the engine out I would guess it was about 50lbs away from the tipping point.

Jim, thanks on the engine hoist. the axle is an 8.8 out of a 1990 F150 with a hydrostatic drive. The steering and fore and aft is controlled by the large joystick with a trailer ball knob on top.

I built it in 2013 and I usually have a platform on it so I can trim trees and it got used a lot when we were doing the roofing on the garage and house.

When I was lifting the engine out I would guess it was about 50lbs away from the tipping point.

😳. Definitely looks like it could use some counterweight fully extended to the roof like that!

Wow! That's the nicest hoist I've seen. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So, what is the motive power?

Wow! That's the nicest hoist I've seen. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So, what is the motive power?

Thanks Gary, it is powered by a 9 hp chinese motor that drives a hydrostatic pump and in the picture I was experimenting with a power steering pump but ended up using a 4 gpm gear pump for the hoist and steering functions. I gave up on the PS pump because its' displacement was too big the functions were way too fast.

The hydraulics are very lightly stressed. I have the relief set at about 500 psi which just about matches the tipping point with me not standing on it. I have a gauge permanently installed on the load side of the hoist cylinder and it was reading 500 psi when I was lifting that 800 lb 6.9.

It works really nicely for shunting loaded trailers and dead vehicles around.

November_stuff_004.jpg.c22a207298936e284f40025d8cbc35d5.jpg

November_stuff_005.jpg.749e3c0e03cceb04bd8f4289acd17080.jpg

The "power pack" assembly is on its' own rubber mounted base.

Thanks Gary, it is powered by a 9 hp chinese motor that drives a hydrostatic pump and in the picture I was experimenting with a power steering pump but ended up using a 4 gpm gear pump for the hoist and steering functions. I gave up on the PS pump because its' displacement was too big the functions were way too fast.

The hydraulics are very lightly stressed. I have the relief set at about 500 psi which just about matches the tipping point with me not standing on it. I have a gauge permanently installed on the load side of the hoist cylinder and it was reading 500 psi when I was lifting that 800 lb 6.9.

It works really nicely for shunting loaded trailers and dead vehicles around.

The "power pack" assembly is on its' own rubber mounted base.

That is cool! The engineering is quite interesting. But how does it turn?

Would sure have been nice for many things I’ve done. :nabble_smiley_good: