Bullnose Forums

1986 F-250 XLT 6.9 idi C6 switch to 300 4 speed

nic55kel

Thanks Gary, Yes I will see how long the brass lasts. I think when it wears out I will see about adapting a heim joint.

Well I got the engine sitting on its perches. It was a tight fit but by removing the weather strip at the firewall I was able to get enough clearance to drop it in without having to loosen the rad support.

Something about seeing the engine in place makes me more excited about this project.

I checked the fit of the z-bar and clutch linkage and it all lined up like factory so very happy about that.

Must be sure to remember the spacer plate before I put the flywheel on. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes, that is looking good! :nabble_anim_claps:

And I agree, getting the engine in makes it look like there's real progress happening. Keep on truckin'!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great, Bob! :nabble_anim_claps:

Sure is a lot more room in there now.

Happy for the progress. Hope the weather helps you along.

I don't know about the mechanical clutches, but I had a shell casing on my clutch linkage with a C-clip in the extractor groove for years.

When it failed I replaced it with a flanged sintered bronze bushing like Gary suggested.

Thanks Jim, yes I love all the space to work. On clutch linkages etc. it is amazing what one can do with a little ingenuity.

The weather is good, I hate to complain but I am sure I will when it gets hotter.

Thanks Gary, I felt like I was moving along nicely until I created or possibly found a problem with the pilot bearing.

I went to blow it out before greasing it and one of the rollers flew out. It looked and felt alright but when I looked more closely I could see that the cage had a bit of damage. So nothing in town so had to order a new pilot bearing. I attempted to pull the bearing out of the crankshaft but all I got was the bearing itself and not the sleeve.

IMG_1296.jpg.30b4d5d3c037b26619cadca83ae08aa1.jpg

When I look at parts pictures of the bearing it shows the actual bearing with a sleeve and it is only available as an assembly.

I am thinking that the bearing itself is probably some standard needle bearing and I am hoping that it will be possible to just replace the bearing itself as I don't have a puller for the sleeve. Has anyone else run into this??

I guess I will find out when I get the part.

Lots of other things to work on in the meantime.

Thanks Jim, yes I love all the space to work. On clutch linkages etc. it is amazing what one can do with a little ingenuity.

The weather is good, I hate to complain but I am sure I will when it gets hotter.

Thanks Gary, I felt like I was moving along nicely until I created or possibly found a problem with the pilot bearing.

I went to blow it out before greasing it and one of the rollers flew out. It looked and felt alright but when I looked more closely I could see that the cage had a bit of damage. So nothing in town so had to order a new pilot bearing. I attempted to pull the bearing out of the crankshaft but all I got was the bearing itself and not the sleeve.

When I look at parts pictures of the bearing it shows the actual bearing with a sleeve and it is only available as an assembly.

I am thinking that the bearing itself is probably some standard needle bearing and I am hoping that it will be possible to just replace the bearing itself as I don't have a puller for the sleeve. Has anyone else run into this??

I guess I will find out when I get the part.

Lots of other things to work on in the meantime.

Bummer! Hope you get the bearing replaced easily.

Bummer! Hope you get the bearing replaced easily.

Well hopefully the bearing itself is a standard item and I can just press it out of the new pilot assembly and install in the existing sleeve.

In the meantime I am giving the transmission a good once over.

IMG_1299.jpg.6fb9aab54e0dd252b32ddb82339f1156.jpg

Low gear on the countershaft looks to be in good shape as does the reverse idler.

I pulled off the PTO cover to inspect the countershaft gear and as expected found that the magnet was definitely in need of a good clean. This would be a worthwhile thing to do for anyone with a T18 or T19. I imagine the NP435 also has a magnet in it.

IMG_1298.jpg.77f7a3da84c0b96162f572832405480d.jpg

The only gear teeth needing dental work are on the 1st/reverse slider and I think I will try dressing them a little.

IMG_1237.jpg.5042da1652fe9c399977c25252a0b57e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well hopefully the bearing itself is a standard item and I can just press it out of the new pilot assembly and install in the existing sleeve.

In the meantime I am giving the transmission a good once over.

Low gear on the countershaft looks to be in good shape as does the reverse idler.

I pulled off the PTO cover to inspect the countershaft gear and as expected found that the magnet was definitely in need of a good clean. This would be a worthwhile thing to do for anyone with a T18 or T19. I imagine the NP435 also has a magnet in it.

The only gear teeth needing dental work are on the 1st/reverse slider and I think I will try dressing them a little.

Well I finally got the pilot bearing. I picked it up this past Tuesday.

As I had hoped the bearing is a standard item, but as far as I can tell you can only buy it as an assembly with the sleeve.

Anyway I pressed it out and tapped it into the existing sleeve.

IMG_1308.jpg.702523f7948b4d015ddf8dedb0b1cf98.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg.55c0107164751c5d16f0100fbdb29ef8.jpg

It took me a lot of cleaning to get all the old mouse nest out of the pressure plate, but with a lot of picking and blow gun work I eventually got it all out.

IMG_1306.jpg.24bedab9632ea9187053f8d18cedda05.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg.94cc210863c69c426034ec6e065ebcb8.jpg

Getting that heavy T18 into place by myself was fun. I managed to wrestle it under the truck and then decided to suspend it from a cross beam and keep adding 2 x 6s to get it up to the correct height (had to re- sling a couple of times). I then walked the beam forward and once I got it started on my guide dowels it slid into place quite easily.

IMG_1309.jpg.da6f8fc77686add6cb68b76e1856c218.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg.881386496b52a2e919a30852600dabae.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg.79398771db13cb1e37e028ee6584b366.jpg

I had to extend the slots in the crossmember for the transmission mount by about 3/8" but other than that everything lined up very nicely. I cleaned up and lubed up the z-bar and installed that and the clutch feels really good.

Have a few things to figure out still but it feels like it is moving along nicely again.

As I had hoped the bearing is a standard item, but as far as I can tell you can only buy it as an assembly with the sleeve.

It took me a lot of cleaning to get all the old mouse nest out of the pressure plate, but with a lot of picking and blow gun work I eventually got it all out.

Getting that heavy T18 into place by myself was fun. I managed to wrestle it under the truck and then decided to suspend it from a cross beam and keep adding 2 x 6s to get it up to the correct height (had to re- sling a couple of times). I then walked the beam forward and once I got it started on my guide dowels it slid into place quite easily.

I had to extend the slots in the crossmember for the transmission mount by about 3/8" but other than that everything lined up very nicely. I cleaned up and lubed up the z-bar and installed that and the clutch feels really good.

Have a few things to figure out still but it feels like it is moving along nicely again.

Nice job! Very ingenious on getting that heavy tranny in there by yourself!

I like the sling on the wood, a flat at a time!

Progress is good, Bob! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad to hear the gears are okay and the linkage works well. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Progress is good, Bob! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad to hear the gears are okay and the linkage works well. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Good job! Yes, I especially like the sling. But I was initially concerned that it would slide down the floor at the opening - until I saw the blocks at the ends and finally twigged to what you were doing. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice job! Very ingenious on getting that heavy tranny in there by yourself!

I like the sling on the wood, a flat at a time!

Dane and Gary, thanks regarding the sling. It is almost as if Ford made the removable panel so that one could do that.

The only downside is all the walking from one side of the vehicle to the other to keep the lift fairly even. The lift wasn't too bad, less than half the weight of the transmission and so even this old guy could manage it. Not going to win any races though for fastest install.

Jim, thanks for the encouragement. I try to keep in mind that this is an old truck and I want it to be workable and reliable, I am not going for perfection. I am also pretty gentle with things so I am sure the transmission will outlast me.

Anyway back to it. Measuring the U-joints it appears they match and so the driveshaft should bolt right in just have to ensure there is enough end play as the shaft is about 3/8" longer, behind the center support, than the original.

Dane and Gary, thanks regarding the sling. It is almost as if Ford made the removable panel so that one could do that.

The only downside is all the walking from one side of the vehicle to the other to keep the lift fairly even. The lift wasn't too bad, less than half the weight of the transmission and so even this old guy could manage it. Not going to win any races though for fastest install.

Jim, thanks for the encouragement. I try to keep in mind that this is an old truck and I want it to be workable and reliable, I am not going for perfection. I am also pretty gentle with things so I am sure the transmission will outlast me.

Anyway back to it. Measuring the U-joints it appears they match and so the driveshaft should bolt right in just have to ensure there is enough end play as the shaft is about 3/8" longer, behind the center support, than the original.

Well the driveshaft fits and still has plenty of travel on the slip joint.

The exhausts melded nicely, not sure how it will sound with the 2" pipe feeding into a 3" aft section.

IMG_1312.jpg.9040d948271d8185143f1513ae3626c1.jpg

I had been trying to figure how to fit the gear shift boot and carpet. Decided on fastening the boot directly to the tunnel cover and just cutting the carpet to fit around the boot. Very happy with how it turned out, carpet fits perfectly and almost looks factory.

IMG_1313.jpg.8436f012ab98059999575641ba033126.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg.f92faafac0c629a161d08467818ad987.jpg

Slowly sorting out the engine compartment. I am going to stick with the diesel rad as it is almost new and also the rad support is in much better condition than the donor. The rad hoses are matching together fairly well using exhaust adapters to match the different sizes. I managed to put some small ridges on the adapters and I don't think there is any danger of them coming apart.

IMG_1318.jpg.ab7b7c7546a2e53067b570a06889e21b.jpg

Won't be long before I can fire the old truck up and have it move under its own power. :nabble_smiley_happy:

This crazy hot weather is limiting how much I work on it each day. I am much more patient than I used to be.