Bullnose Forums

Priming before starting up after 6 months

Hi all!

I searched and found a few posts talking about priming the oil pump under the distributor, but what I’m really interested in is - do I really need to?

My project to upgrade to EFI is almost done... Like sometime in the next week “almost done.” But it’s taken way longer than I originally planned. So, before I crank her up the first time with fuel injection, should I be concerned about lubrication?

Do I need to pull the distributor or can I just crank the engine with a wrench? Or both? Or none?

If it was mine I'd pull the distributor and prime it. That way you know for sure that it is lubed. And I'd spray a quick squirt of something like WD40 into each cylinder to give some lube to the cylinder walls.

But those are just precautions, not requirements. However, cranking the engine with a wrench won't spin the oil pump fast enough to do anything.

If it was mine I'd pull the distributor and prime it. That way you know for sure that it is lubed. And I'd spray a quick squirt of something like WD40 into each cylinder to give some lube to the cylinder walls.

But those are just precautions, not requirements. However, cranking the engine with a wrench won't spin the oil pump fast enough to do anything.

Thanks Gary! If I pull the distributor, will I need to retime it or anything?

Thanks Gary! If I pull the distributor, will I need to retime it or anything?

You can disable the ignition coil and crank the engine until it shows something on the gauge.

That would be the same as turning the engine over with a socket and 1/2" ratchet.... But much more effective.

There's definitely no downside to priming an engine, but it is likely to build pressure before it fires, after half a year.

Just make sure your battery is in good shape, and have a starter/booster if needed.

You can disable the ignition coil and crank the engine until it shows something on the gauge.

That would be the same as turning the engine over with a socket and 1/2" ratchet.... But much more effective.

There's definitely no downside to priming an engine, but it is likely to build pressure before it fires, after half a year.

Just make sure your battery is in good shape, and have a starter/booster if needed.

Thanks, guys.

Really looking forward to finally have this thing go more than a block from my house.

I started my 300 six after six years of sitting (if not longer) and I didn't prime it. I did however lube the cylinder walls several times, starting first with Kroil, and then later Fluid Film. I had turned it over by hand many times over a few months before finally trying to start it. Always better to prime it I'm sure, although I wouldn't worry about 6 months too much.

That what I would do, pull coil wire and use starter to build oil psi.

With EFI it may want to light off with a tap of the key and why pulling the coil wire would be what I would do.

Dave ----