Bullnose Forums

Slow filling gas tank

I have a 86 f350 . I used 3/4" PeX. (RED) $1.98 for 5' at Home Depot. It handles gas just fine. You can form it to the shape you need by hand very easily.

That's great to know!

Do you have something against cold water, or the white or orange heating tubing?

I just bought a new vent tube for my 1980 Flareside project. I wasn't sure what to use that would be OK with gasoline, but I bought a few feet of 3/4" air brake tubing (they said it was nylon?). It will work just fine as long as the gas doesn't ruin it.

Otherwise, I'm open to ideas on what tubing to use.

Could do like ARM ashby did and set a little in a can of gas for a week or more and see if it gets soft.

That's great to know!

Do you have something against cold water, or the white or orange heating tubing?

It could be the red stands up better to chemicals / gas?

Dave ----

I just bought a new vent tube for my 1980 Flareside project. I wasn't sure what to use that would be OK with gasoline, but I bought a few feet of 3/4" air brake tubing (they said it was nylon?). It will work just fine as long as the gas doesn't ruin it.

Otherwise, I'm open to ideas on what tubing to use.

Could do like ARM ashby did and set a little in a can of gas for a week or more and see if it gets soft.

That's great to know!

It could be the red stands up better to chemicals / gas?

Dave ----

It's just color so you can figure out what is what inside the wall.

Crosslinked polyethylene is not as inert as Teflon, but it's close.

Nylon is hygroscopic. But different formulas are effected differently and have different moisture absorption limits.

If it is safety related under an interstate truck I'd imagine whichever nylon is pretty tough, but it might not be rated for immersion in gasoline or ethanol.

It's just color so you can figure out what is what inside the wall.

Crosslinked polyethylene is not as inert as Teflon, but it's close.

Nylon is hygroscopic. But different formulas are effected differently and have different moisture absorption limits.

If it is safety related under an interstate truck I'd imagine whichever nylon is pretty tough, but it might not be rated for immersion in gasoline or ethanol.

I found this thread on FTE a while back when I was looking for options to repair the filler neck on my truck. I thought it might be helpful in terms of adapting an '87+ filler neck to a bullnose tank. When it comes to bending things to make them fit, it's usually helpful to see that it worked for someone else who tried it first lol

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1027456-jgreen-s-pre-87-filler-neck-upgrade-success.html

I found this thread on FTE a while back when I was looking for options to repair the filler neck on my truck. I thought it might be helpful in terms of adapting an '87+ filler neck to a bullnose tank. When it comes to bending things to make them fit, it's usually helpful to see that it worked for someone else who tried it first lol

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1027456-jgreen-s-pre-87-filler-neck-upgrade-success.html

This appears to be my same problem and fix. Thanks for the link, I’ll just have to start looking for some bricknose’s. I also have a front tank, I will have to do the same for that one. But for right now I’m not even using it. The tank needs to be dropped and cleaned out and new sending unit.