Bullnose Forums

Adding power steering (asking for a friend)

Hey Fellas, got a question for you asking for a friend here. And elderly gentleman who lives down the street from me has an old '69 or so highboy that he drives around and he has a hell of a time driving it because it has no power steering. What can I do to get him power steering as far as what year, and model vehicles I can pull the components off at the wrecking yard?

Also a list of parts needed to swap him over to power would be helpful.

Thank you

I can't say for certain on a 69, I do know that prior to 1980, as far as the 1973-1979 trucks were built, the steering was completely different between 2WD and 4WD trucks. The 2WD steering box on my 1977 F150 was a long Pittman shaft, rear steer design, similar to the Bullnose and following models except behind the axle. The 4WD 1978 F250 our BSA camp had, the steering box was located up front with a drag link going back to the top of the left steering knuckle. These trucks had a live front axle for 4WD and twin I-beams on 2WD.

The first item to locate would be the actual steering box and affiliated parts as needed, then the power steering pump and brackets for whichever engine he has in it.

I can't say for certain on a 69, I do know that prior to 1980, as far as the 1973-1979 trucks were built, the steering was completely different between 2WD and 4WD trucks. The 2WD steering box on my 1977 F150 was a long Pittman shaft, rear steer design, similar to the Bullnose and following models except behind the axle. The 4WD 1978 F250 our BSA camp had, the steering box was located up front with a drag link going back to the top of the left steering knuckle. These trucks had a live front axle for 4WD and twin I-beams on 2WD.

The first item to locate would be the actual steering box and affiliated parts as needed, then the power steering pump and brackets for whichever engine he has in it.

Forgot to add the truck is 4X4, and it has a solid axle.

Forgot to add the truck is 4X4, and it has a solid axle.

You might punch his year and engine into Rock Auto and see what parts were used on his '69.

I can't tell you anything about how things went together on a truck that old.

It might be a real challenge finding brackets for something like an FE.

You might punch his year and engine into Rock Auto and see what parts were used on his '69.

I can't tell you anything about how things went together on a truck that old.

It might be a real challenge finding brackets for something like an FE.

You might want to look here or even join to ask your question.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/

I am sure you will find the answer there and if you cant find the parts either new or used in the junk yard the members over there can help you / him get the needed parts.

Good luck

Dave ----