Bullnose Forums

New Member New Build, looking for Direction

Yeah, that’s the newest (wastegated) Banks Sidewinder. I would argue it is the best commercial kit turbo for the IDI that exists. Definitely something you would want if the price is agreeable 👍

Thanks, just confirming....wasn't certain that shape was what you were referring to when you said "cone".

This truck would essentially check all the boxes except 4 wheel drive, which, based on the previous conversations, the only reasonably straight forward way to do that is with a 4x4 donor, and will require even more work depending on what that donor is.

I've been tasked with Jury Duty over the past week and haven't had a chance to look at it, hopefully I can find some time this weekend.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that’s the newest (wastegated) Banks Sidewinder. I would argue it is the best commercial kit turbo for the IDI that exists. Definitely something you would want if the price is agreeable 👍

Thanks, just confirming....wasn't certain that shape was what you were referring to when you said "cone".

This truck would essentially check all the boxes except 4 wheel drive, which, based on the previous conversations, the only reasonably straight forward way to do that is with a 4x4 donor, and will require even more work depending on what that donor is.

I've been tasked with Jury Duty over the past week and haven't had a chance to look at it, hopefully I can find some time this weekend.

PXL_20211214_054631052.jpg.da89fc9aaf214f3a18a3de953676e81a.jpgPXL_20211214_054649967.jpg.e99f30b97ad8f1ef2357af71b9c102ea.jpgreceived_966011177335031.jpeg.88d5333c25c4a5f90937e9e32b0c26ba.jpegreceived_281677413851446.jpeg.899ea0d05832b2766dd52606cdfea4d9.jpeg

Long hiatus, after weeks of jury duty, our swimming pool collapsing and needing replacement, and a difficult time procuring the donor truck, I'm back to working on this project again.

Donor truck did have the aftermarket banks system as shown before. The overdrive unit is a gear vendors unit. The reference by the seller regarding "Yukon" was in reference to aftermarket gears, but I'm not certain what ratio they are.

At this time, I'm forgoing the pursuit of 4x4 and will assess that in the future if/when I determine it's worth the effort for what this truck will be used for.

A slight oversight on my part, I didn't realize my clean truck was not originally an AC truck. The donor is, and I've read multiple threads on the difficulty of the swap. Not sure it's worth it at the moment, but if I decide to do so, it'll need to be done now while I have both firewalls accessible. A cab swap is not an option.

For now, I'll be focusing on cleaning up the drivetrain and addressing issues more easily accessed while it's on the shop floor. I'll be cleaning up and powder coating most brackets/etc in the meantime. Then I'll be moving on to address changes needed to wiring, which I'm not looking forward to as the donor truck appears to have been modified in stages (also has an aftermarket exhaust brake to which I'm not certain how it works/is configured).

The core support on the donor was in decent shape, but have a few issues to address before I can clean it up well enough for paint or powder coat.

I'm almost 100% the radiator is in need of replacement, but will be calling around to price out recores in lieu of buying a cheap aftermarket unit.

Other known issue for the moment is, assuming the gear vendors unit works well, I'll need to get measurements and have the driveshaft cut down once everything is bolted into place.

Now just to stay focused and get to cleaning so I can assess the AC consideration.

Long hiatus, after weeks of jury duty, our swimming pool collapsing and needing replacement, and a difficult time procuring the donor truck, I'm back to working on this project again.

Donor truck did have the aftermarket banks system as shown before. The overdrive unit is a gear vendors unit. The reference by the seller regarding "Yukon" was in reference to aftermarket gears, but I'm not certain what ratio they are.

At this time, I'm forgoing the pursuit of 4x4 and will assess that in the future if/when I determine it's worth the effort for what this truck will be used for.

A slight oversight on my part, I didn't realize my clean truck was not originally an AC truck. The donor is, and I've read multiple threads on the difficulty of the swap. Not sure it's worth it at the moment, but if I decide to do so, it'll need to be done now while I have both firewalls accessible. A cab swap is not an option.

For now, I'll be focusing on cleaning up the drivetrain and addressing issues more easily accessed while it's on the shop floor. I'll be cleaning up and powder coating most brackets/etc in the meantime. Then I'll be moving on to address changes needed to wiring, which I'm not looking forward to as the donor truck appears to have been modified in stages (also has an aftermarket exhaust brake to which I'm not certain how it works/is configured).

The core support on the donor was in decent shape, but have a few issues to address before I can clean it up well enough for paint or powder coat.

I'm almost 100% the radiator is in need of replacement, but will be calling around to price out recores in lieu of buying a cheap aftermarket unit.

Other known issue for the moment is, assuming the gear vendors unit works well, I'll need to get measurements and have the driveshaft cut down once everything is bolted into place.

Now just to stay focused and get to cleaning so I can assess the AC consideration.

When I get on my pc I will tell you how I did my AC swap, it's not easy my way :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

This is going to be quite the project! I’m ready! Let’s go! :nabble_anim_jump:

Seriously though, it will be quite the project, but worth it in the end. So hang in there for a long slog. 👍

if you can pull two trucks apart as in the pictures and are confident that you can make a running truck again then don't even worry about whether you can pull the dash and install factory air. you can! its just one of those things we mechanics and hotrodders dont often do because it doesnt give us that extra torque or hp.

its just a new puzzle. be patient and take notes.