Bullnose Forum

Air Fuel Ratio gauge and now have question?

Ok, Think Jim said something about the EGR may help with the pinging.

Well I cant hook it back up. A freeze plug was installed in the intake under the EGR plate, a plug where the tube would connect but nothing for the tube to connect on the exh. pipe side as I am running EFI exh. manifolds.

I must have gone the wrong way with the vacuum can adjustment it had the death rattle really bad all the time at speed. I had to pull off the first exit 10 miles from when I got on, road work so no place to pull over. I pulled the vacuum hose off the dist. and not being able to find anything on the ground at 1amI left it open.

No more rattle and it seam to run pretty good.

AFR was about 14.0 but I don't know if that is the open hose or change in timing?

I could not find anything before I left work to plug the hose so it was left open for the ride home.

I did find it odd that the AFR was about 14.0 going to work OAT was 61*f

On the way home the AFR was high 14's to low 15's with OAT of 48*f.

Normal driving keeping the RPM shift points to 2000 the truck felt good but I had to run her out a bit getting on the high way and it was a dog with no vacuum advance or was it just running that lean?

Someone wanted to know what the AFR was at WOT. From 65 MPH It went so lean the gauge went ----

only when it got up to about 75 - 80 MPH did I start to see any numbers, 16's & 17's.

It did have a little "miss" every now & then getting up to that speed.

Going to read up on re-curving the dist. as I feel this has to be under control first then the AFR.

Dave ----

You have either a carb problem or an AFR gauge problem. There is no way that you should have that lean of a mix at WOT. It really must be down around 11 - 12 to get good power. And I can't believe that the vacuum advance hose could suck that much air to lean it that much. However, it is something to check.

You have either a carb problem or an AFR gauge problem. There is no way that you should have that lean of a mix at WOT. It really must be down around 11 - 12 to get good power. And I can't believe that the vacuum advance hose could suck that much air to lean it that much. However, it is something to check.

If you're using 'timed' vacuum the "leak".is above the throttle plate anyhow.

You can cap the hose with a piece of tape.

It's vacuum after all.

Yes. Your mains must be WAY too small if it just gets leaner and leaner as you increase speed (throttle opening)

And it sounds like you have no accelerator pump shot either....

The ratio should go rich when you step on it.

Sometimes you just have to accept that it is what it is.

Ford did it's damnedest to squeeze every mpg it could. And now you don't have any EGR to help under 'cruise'.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you have a VERY hard time getting rid of the 'nibble' when on the highway and you start to tip into the throttle.

Remember, gasahol is going to return fewer mpg no matter what.

Maybe 10-15% less.....

The oil companies LOVE this.!

It just doesn't have the energy -gallon for gallon- that straight hydrocarbons do.

If you're using 'timed' vacuum the "leak".is above the throttle plate anyhow.

You can cap the hose with a piece of tape.

It's vacuum after all.

Yes. Your mains must be WAY too small if it just gets leaner and leaner as you increase speed (throttle opening)

And it sounds like you have no accelerator pump shot either....

The ratio should go rich when you step on it.

Sometimes you just have to accept that it is what it is.

Ford did it's damnedest to squeeze every mpg it could. And now you don't have any EGR to help under 'cruise'.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you have a VERY hard time getting rid of the 'nibble' when on the highway and you start to tip into the throttle.

Remember, gasahol is going to return fewer mpg no matter what.

Maybe 10-15% less.....

The oil companies LOVE this.!

It just doesn't have the energy -gallon for gallon- that straight hydrocarbons do.

Well I backed the vacuum can way off and hooked the hose back up and got a hose plug just in case I had to disconnect it again.

Took truck to work again this morning.

No pinging but kind of lacking power on the high way. If I go WOT it doesn't really do much that you can feel.

The speed will get faster and the AFR is off the gage lean.

Also the AFR was between 14 & 15 and as said all I did was hook up the vacuum advance that I don't think is working because of how I have it adjusted.

After seeing this and how the AFR reacts I was thinking like Gary, bad carb!

Other wise it works great.

Dave ----

Well I backed the vacuum can way off and hooked the hose back up and got a hose plug just in case I had to disconnect it again.

Took truck to work again this morning.

No pinging but kind of lacking power on the high way. If I go WOT it doesn't really do much that you can feel.

The speed will get faster and the AFR is off the gage lean.

Also the AFR was between 14 & 15 and as said all I did was hook up the vacuum advance that I don't think is working because of how I have it adjusted.

After seeing this and how the AFR reacts I was thinking like Gary, bad carb!

Other wise it works great.

Dave ----

Jonathan's knockoff YFA was $75, I think....

Not sure what David was referring to, but he'd probably seen several on ebay for sale.

Last I heard the carb Jonathan bought was going strong.

Carb has been ordered.

After knowing what shape it was in when I got the truck. Was lucky the carb worked as it had missing and wrong screws in it. Some parts were installed wrong or missing Thought it was fixed when I rebuilt it?

Then with the crazy AFR readings felt it best to replace.

Dave. ----

Carb has been ordered.

After knowing what shape it was in when I got the truck. Was lucky the carb worked as it had missing and wrong screws in it. Some parts were installed wrong or missing Thought it was fixed when I rebuilt it?

Then with the crazy AFR readings felt it best to replace.

Dave. ----

I hope this works out for you, and you're able to tune out your knock. :nabble_smiley_good: