Bullnose Forums

Fire Extinguishers

Wow, this is a topic I almost posted on the other day....Fire Extinguishers. After seeing videos of our trucks going up in flames, I have worked to make sure mine is not one of them. This began with the 3G swap. Not sure I like the current fuel line arrangement so may be messing with that too. May post on that in a bit.

What's your thoughts, Gary? Which route you think you'll be taking?

BTW, have a good place to put it now. This behind the seat organizer is built "Ford Tough"....LOL!!!! Temp install now, as I have a piece of carpet I want to put on the back of the cab.

John - The storage unit looks great! You do good work. :nabble_anim_claps:

I think I'm going with an Element extinguisher. Granted it is more expensive than a 5# dry unit, but you don't have to recharge it and it doesn't pack down. So in the long run it'll be less expensive and always ready to go. Plus it runs ~5 times longer than the dry unit and doesn't leave a mess.

As for where to put it, the end of the storage unit right by the door looks to be an ideal spot.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John - The storage unit looks great! You do good work. :nabble_anim_claps:

I think I'm going with an Element extinguisher. Granted it is more expensive than a 5# dry unit, but you don't have to recharge it and it doesn't pack down. So in the long run it'll be less expensive and always ready to go. Plus it runs ~5 times longer than the dry unit and doesn't leave a mess.

As for where to put it, the end of the storage unit right by the door looks to be an ideal spot.

Using a road flare to put out a gasoline fire.....

50 years ago these were sold for putting out chimney (creosote) fires.

Edit: still sold.

$9 at Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Chimfex-Chimney-Suppressent-3412/dp/B002RRIKT2/ref=asc_df_B002RRIKT2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312123596780&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13037458292767031742&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003379&hvtargid=pla-496843733012&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61495041029&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312123596780&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13037458292767031742&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003379&hvtargid=pla-496843733012

Well that’s interesting. Good find Jim! Glad you remembered!

While not exactly the same, obviously the same concept, if not the same chemistry.

Leave it to a pyro/propellant geek to make the connection. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

These were off the market for a while.

The factory had burned down.

So, deprive the flames of oxygen. Replace with already combusted gasses.

It's basically EGR.

No handle. More flames.

I'm pretty sure the Chimfex use zinc/sulphur which was a popular amateur rocket propellant in the post WWII era.

Though it is surely inhibited, and the newer version has a good amount of cellulose to create more smoke.

While not exactly the same, obviously the same concept, if not the same chemistry.Leave it to a pyro/propellant geek to make the connection. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:These were off the market for a while. The factory had burned down.So, deprive the flames of oxygen. Replace with already combusted gasses.It's basically EGR.No handle. More flames. I'm pretty sure the Chimfex use zinc/sulphur which was a popular amateur rocket propellant in the post WWII era.Though it is surely inhibited, and the newer version has a good amount of cellulose to create more smoke.
Still doing research. Here's another review, and I'll set it to start where he actually tests the thing, bypassing all of the discussion about his previous fire - the ceramic coating of his headers. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Still doing research. Here's another review, and I'll set it to start where he actually tests the thing, bypassing all of the discussion about his previous fire - the ceramic coating of his headers. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I like his idea of keeping it in the door pocket.FAR easier to get to than buckled in the corner, behind the seat.(of course where it ends up in the event of an accident -when you might really need it- is another issue)And, nice stable too. :nabble_smiley_cool:There's something about mid-engined Italian sports cars and poor fuel systems....

I like his idea of keeping it in the door pocket.

FAR easier to get to than buckled in the corner, behind the seat.

(of course where it ends up in the event of an accident -when you might really need it- is another issue)

And, nice stable too. :nabble_smiley_cool:

There's something about mid-engined Italian sports cars and poor fuel systems....

My door pockets are the carpeted ones with elastic, so the thing wouldn't be seen. While that may seem good, I think it is important for everyone to know where it is.

So I like the corner storage better. But I don't want it "buckled" in. I like the snap-in holder that it comes with, although I think I'll add one so it is held towards both ends. That way you can reach in and grab it in the middle. And since I'll have many things stored behind the seat that will be frequently accessed the extinguisher will be seen often.

As for the stable, yes it is nice. And he does say something about the Element being from Italy and Ferraris and Lambos having more fires. Kinda like there's a reason the Italians came up with a better fire extinguisher. :nabble_smiley_wink:

element_clip_1080x.thumb.jpg.8548c7c9f150c11f8bf9da0d72f97af1.jpg

My door pockets are the carpeted ones with elastic, so the thing wouldn't be seen. While that may seem good, I think it is important for everyone to know where it is.

So I like the corner storage better. But I don't want it "buckled" in. I like the snap-in holder that it comes with, although I think I'll add one so it is held towards both ends. That way you can reach in and grab it in the middle. And since I'll have many things stored behind the seat that will be frequently accessed the extinguisher will be seen often.

As for the stable, yes it is nice. And he does say something about the Element being from Italy and Ferraris and Lambos having more fires. Kinda like there's a reason the Italians came up with a better fire extinguisher. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I have a ridgid Bricknose door pocket on my driver's side.

But it's kinda deep.

I meant to say that the (admittedly plastic) latch on my fire extinguisher is fiddly.

Since you're mr overkill you might consider one on each side. 💡

10 steps closer.....depending, and it's always good to have backup.

But idk how much height the inverter takes up over there.

I have a ridgid Bricknose door pocket on my driver's side.

But it's kinda deep.

I meant to say that the (admittedly plastic) latch on my fire extinguisher is fiddly.

Since you're mr overkill you might consider one on each side. 💡

10 steps closer.....depending, and it's always good to have backup.

But idk how much height the inverter takes up over there.

That's my worry - get the extinguisher out of sight and have to rummage for it. Which is why I like the corner. om the end of the storage unit. Nothing will be obscuring it from being seen, even when just opening the door. In fact, I don't think you'd have to tilt the seat forward as it looks like it'll be accessible through the opening - something that wouldn't be true of a 5 lb extinguisher.

Yes, the plastic latches can be fiddly. I've spent a while getting the one on the boat to latch, and wondered how easily it would come off when it finally did latch.

And a 2nd one might be handy, but there's not much room in that corner due to the inverter. I'll see when I get the first one in if it might fit. At least then I'll know.

That's a real interesting find, Jim. Quite the savings. The benefits of the Element include no debris after extinguishing and can be stored in a variety of environments. According to their website, it's not really affected by large changes in temperature. Here in Oklahoma, we can see temps above 100 and below freezing. Wonder if that is the case with this chimney extinguisher???