Bullnose Forums

CAD - Modeling and Manufacturing Prints

Ray Cecil

All,

I am willing to help with small CAD projects. I don't always have time, but I will help you reproduce a part if you need it, when I do have the time.

If you have a LARGE project, I will have to consider that on a case by case basis.

I have 10+ years in CAD. I have designed Metal Buildings, Robotics, Valves, Flame Arrestors, Firearms, Automation Equipment and now I am designing parcel sorting systems. You can see some projects I've done here, including a Bullnose F150 project flatbed:

https://grabcad.com/ray.cecil-1

Ray

• 6 months later...

I know it took awhile, but I finally got one of Bills clips finished. The other two shouldn't take too long after this.

I'm not sure what printer Bill is using, but there is going to be a challenge printing these things off. They have no perfect orientation by which to print. Supports or extra material will need to be added to print them off, and then they'll need to be finished off with a rasp/file. The quality of the final part will be determined by the printer, and its resolution ability. There are some pretty small features on these clips.

I'm not sure what printer Bill is using, but there is going to be a challenge printing these things off. They have no perfect orientation by which to print. Supports or extra material will need to be added to print them off, and then they'll need to be finished off with a rasp/file. The quality of the final part will be determined by the printer, and its resolution ability. There are some pretty small features on these clips.

Well done!!!

As for the printing, that is going to be an issue. I think Shapeways will add them as and where needed. But I think Bill is going to print them on his own printer, so....

• 1 year later...

Ray,

Do you have anything going with Gary to remake/upgrade the mechanical clutch pivots for the frame and bellhousing side?

I never had a >'83 truck myself, but Dave's (fuzzface2) recent snafu had me thinking about this again.

I understand these parts are unobtainium, so it would be a great resource for any early Bullnose owner.

We discussed SLS and infusion (brazing?) In another thread where Tom (OxTools, machinist from the Lawerence Berkley national laboratory) had a part made by Shapeways for a tool he had designed.

Iirc, he discovered he needed to account for some small amount of shrink because the lasers focus on X point, but the material shrinks a bit as it cools from fusion temperatures.

Since you pay by volume (or mass) and the parts are relatively small, they shouldn't be too expensive.

It's my understanding once you get a quote you can decide if it's worth it to you.

Just having the part file hosted there, or on thingyverse if you're willing to give it away, would probably help a lot of people keep their trucks on the road without resorting to questionable hacks like Dave did.

Ray,

Do you have anything going with Gary to remake/upgrade the mechanical clutch pivots for the frame and bellhousing side?

I never had a >'83 truck myself, but Dave's (fuzzface2) recent snafu had me thinking about this again.

I understand these parts are unobtainium, so it would be a great resource for any early Bullnose owner.

We discussed SLS and infusion (brazing?) In another thread where Tom (OxTools, machinist from the Lawerence Berkley national laboratory) had a part made by Shapeways for a tool he had designed.

Iirc, he discovered he needed to account for some small amount of shrink because the lasers focus on X point, but the material shrinks a bit as it cools from fusion temperatures.

Since you pay by volume (or mass) and the parts are relatively small, they shouldn't be too expensive.

It's my understanding once you get a quote you can decide if it's worth it to you.

Just having the part file hosted there, or on thingyverse if you're willing to give it away, would probably help a lot of people keep their trucks on the road without resorting to questionable hacks like Dave did.

Jim, thanks for looking out for me on the motor side clutch pivot and this would be for a 300 six manual setup as the v8's bolt to the bell housing face.

Now being I have broke 2 of the ones I repaired, first one I did not know was bad as I just fixed the area the plastic busing went on, the 2nd one was bad welding on my part.

Any way I don't know if a printed (plastic) part would be strong enough if I broke the metal ones?

If I had a lath I could turn one down from bar stock and then thread the end with a die to fit the motor side.

When I was in Tech high school, for the 2 weeks in Tool & Die we made little screw jacks and this pivot uses some of the same lath setup.

When it was out I should have gotten measurements and drafted up a blue print, yes did that is high school too, so I had them.

BTW that was not "hacked" it was getting "creative" :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Ray,

Jim, thanks for looking out for me on the motor side clutch pivot and this would be for a 300 six manual setup as the v8's bolt to the bell housing face.

Now being I have broke 2 of the ones I repaired, first one I did not know was bad as I just fixed the area the plastic busing went on, the 2nd one was bad welding on my part.

Any way I don't know if a printed (plastic) part would be strong enough if I broke the metal ones?

If I had a lath I could turn one down from bar stock and then thread the end with a die to fit the motor side.

When I was in Tech high school, for the 2 weeks in Tool & Die we made little screw jacks and this pivot uses some of the same lath setup.

When it was out I should have gotten measurements and drafted up a blue print, yes did that is high school too, so I had them.

BTW that was not "hacked" it was getting "creative" :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Selective Laser Sintering is not plastic at all.

Shapeways does a few metals (besides the precious ones for their lost wax jewelery)

The one Tom of the OxTool channel used was stainless, and he is a total geek about materials.

I guess you have to be if you're fabricating instrumentation for space telescopes and particle accelerators!

Shapeways also does one that comes out like sponge, and then it is oven brazed (essentially) and soaks up metal to fill out and consolidate the armature that was made.

Unfortunately, our drafting skills mean nothing in a world of CAD, CAM, and CNC.

Whatever dimensions you might have scribbled on paper don't really help with the code needed to drive the machines.

If you drew it in AutoCAD, Mach 4, or even SketchUp, that would be a different story.

You went to Wright Tech, over behind Scalzi Park?

Shapeways does a few metals (besides the precious ones for their lost wax jewelery)

The one Tom of the OxTool channel used was stainless, and he is a total geek about materials.

I guess you have to be if you're fabricating instrumentation for space telescopes and particle accelerators!

Shapeways also does one that comes out like sponge, and then it is oven brazed (essentially) and soaks up metal to fill out and consolidate the armature that was made.

Unfortunately, our drafting skills mean nothing in a world of CAD, CAM, and CNC.

Whatever dimensions you might have scribbled on paper don't really help with the code needed to drive the machines.

If you drew it in AutoCAD, Mach 4, or even SketchUp, that would be a different story.

Sorry guys. Been very busy.

I have a spare pivot. When I get some time, I will mic it up and make a 3d model and post it on my GrabCAD account. Might be awhile.

I went back and found

where he discusses the printed quill feed lever he had made.

I stand corrected, it uses a conventional 3D printing process in 420 stainless, and is then infused with bronze (according to him)

You can go to Shapeways site for all the mechanical properties.

Anyway, my thoughts were, since we know the failure mode perhaps the part could be 'imroved' if the part --as is- were modeled then subjected to some FEA.

I'm not sure if they break from wear creating a stress riser, or they flex minutely and propagate a crack, or what.