Bullnose Forums

School me on transmission options

Nitpick: the M5OD is made by Mazda, not Ford. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Oh yes, I'm aware of that. When I said Ford "pumped them out" I just meant that they were sold by Ford, that's all.

Gents,

I actually just dug up a thread regarding a similar discussion

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td30591

User Zach 1981 Flareside mentioned he replaced his SROD with a Tremec TKO for $3000 which honestly doesn’t sound THAT bad considering I will pay easily $1700 for just a M5OD and rebuild plus part hunting and drive shaft work. My transfer case is a NP308, does that work?

Gents,

I actually just dug up a thread regarding a similar discussion

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td30591

User Zach 1981 Flareside mentioned he replaced his SROD with a Tremec TKO for $3000 which honestly doesn’t sound THAT bad considering I will pay easily $1700 for just a M5OD and rebuild plus part hunting and drive shaft work. My transfer case is a NP308, does that work?

I think you mean NP208, but the various transfer cases easily swap. I've moved an NP208 to where a BW1356 was, and put a BW1345 where an NP208 was.

As for the tranny question, I'm not familiar with the TKO so will leave that to others to answer. But the $3K price is a little higher than I would have expected since a rebuilt ZF5 is going for ~$1900 + core. So if you assume that it costs $500 to get a ZF core you are at $2400. Maybe part of that difference is shipping?

Still, if a TKO is a good tranny with the right gears and you are happy with $3K then go for it. But I'd compare gear ratios were I you. You can do that by going to Documenation/Driveline/Calculators and entering the info in the far right Other column towards the bottom.

And ask others what they think of their gear ratios. For instance, I believe that 3rd gear on the ZF5 is slightly too tall if you are running 33" tires and 3.55 gears. Big Blue just doesn't like making city street corners in 3rd, but used to be quite happy doing the same corners in 3rd with the T-19. In other words, the ZF's 1.61 3rd gear is too tall while the T-19's 1.79 was just right.

I think you mean NP208, but the various transfer cases easily swap. I've moved an NP208 to where a BW1356 was, and put a BW1345 where an NP208 was.

As for the tranny question, I'm not familiar with the TKO so will leave that to others to answer. But the $3K price is a little higher than I would have expected since a rebuilt ZF5 is going for ~$1900 + core. So if you assume that it costs $500 to get a ZF core you are at $2400. Maybe part of that difference is shipping?

Still, if a TKO is a good tranny with the right gears and you are happy with $3K then go for it. But I'd compare gear ratios were I you. You can do that by going to Documenation/Driveline/Calculators and entering the info in the far right Other column towards the bottom.

And ask others what they think of their gear ratios. For instance, I believe that 3rd gear on the ZF5 is slightly too tall if you are running 33" tires and 3.55 gears. Big Blue just doesn't like making city street corners in 3rd, but used to be quite happy doing the same corners in 3rd with the T-19. In other words, the ZF's 1.61 3rd gear is too tall while the T-19's 1.79 was just right.

The TKO is a good gearbox.

Bill has a TKO 600RR in his Cobra kit behind a strong 347.

Getting the right input shaft for your mechanical clutch will take time.

And you might find getting the shifter in the right place is a problem if you have a bench seat.

And you will have to come up with an output yoke that can work with the stock Ford coupler.

If you purchase an M5R2 you know the parts can be found, and a shop manual is available to cover it.

The TKO is a good gearbox.

Bill has a TKO 600RR in his Cobra kit behind a strong 347.

Getting the right input shaft for your mechanical clutch will take time.

And you might find getting the shifter in the right place is a problem if you have a bench seat.

And you will have to come up with an output yoke that can work with the stock Ford coupler.

If you purchase an M5R2 you know the parts can be found, and a shop manual is available to cover it.

The TKO is also well documented. Here's a video on rebuilding such (which includes where to get paper manuals and the like):

That guy does a lot of good manual transmission videos, especially Muncies and T5's. From other channels who work with him I've heard, despite some grievances, he recommends the TKO for new purchased >300HP applications (which is roughly where a well built T5 caps out at).

The TKO is also well documented. Here's a video on rebuilding such (which includes where to get paper manuals and the like):

That guy does a lot of good manual transmission videos, especially Muncies and T5's. From other channels who work with him I've heard, despite some grievances, he recommends the TKO for new purchased >300HP applications (which is roughly where a well built T5 caps out at).

Yeah, but it isn't going to get replaced, or have repair parts at the dealer or corner parts store.

And the "All stock", "being restored" 300 I-6 is never coming close to 300hp.

Now, I don't own a 4.9 truck -or- Bronco, so maybe I missed something?

But a TKO seems about as far from stock as you can get and still function?

It certainly isn't going to slip right in and use a stock mount, crossmember, stick, floor plate or carpet.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Yeah, but it isn't going to get replaced, or have repair parts at the dealer or corner parts store.

And the "All stock", "being restored" 300 I-6 is never coming close to 300hp.

Now, I don't own a 4.9 truck -or- Bronco, so maybe I missed something?

But a TKO seems about as far from stock as you can get and still function?

It certainly isn't going to slip right in and use a stock mount, crossmember, stick, floor plate or carpet.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Missed that context... Stock 4.9, I agree, the M5OD will be fine.

Missed that context... Stock 4.9, I agree, the M5OD will be fine.

Will the TKO hook to a transfer case or only 2WD?

If you can I would go with the M5R2 in the 4x4 mode.

I think Cory's in the 4x2 truck he found from someone selling it as a ZF5 and was in a F250 truck think with a 351. So it would work with a 300 six.

When I knew I needed to do something with my T18 4x2 running a 2.75 rear gear and 29" tall tires with my 300 six, I wanted to go over drive also.

Checking all over for a ZF5 and knowing if used most likely need a rebuild and no core for a rebuilt I was looking at $3000+ shipping. I would also need to come up with all the cross members, floor pan cover, switch to hydl. clutch and drive shaft.

I was lucky and found someone selling a NP435, I like the granny first gear for pulling heavy loads like my car trailer, but still no over drive.

After looking to add OD there was Gear Vender or Advance Adaptor, I went with AA as it was cheaper and can split all the gears to help pull heavy loads when needed.

So far I love the AA OD, have not pulled any heavy loads yet, but most of the time I am only using it for OD but have split 3rd gear at times.

I have since heard that AA has stopped making them, I got mine about a year ago. I don't know if it is because of the virus, I had to wait a long time for mine because of it, of they just don't have to volume needed to keep making them?

So that only leaves the GV over drive to use at this time.

Dave ----

Will the TKO hook to a transfer case or only 2WD?

If you can I would go with the M5R2 in the 4x4 mode.

I think Cory's in the 4x2 truck he found from someone selling it as a ZF5 and was in a F250 truck think with a 351. So it would work with a 300 six.

When I knew I needed to do something with my T18 4x2 running a 2.75 rear gear and 29" tall tires with my 300 six, I wanted to go over drive also.

Checking all over for a ZF5 and knowing if used most likely need a rebuild and no core for a rebuilt I was looking at $3000+ shipping. I would also need to come up with all the cross members, floor pan cover, switch to hydl. clutch and drive shaft.

I was lucky and found someone selling a NP435, I like the granny first gear for pulling heavy loads like my car trailer, but still no over drive.

After looking to add OD there was Gear Vender or Advance Adaptor, I went with AA as it was cheaper and can split all the gears to help pull heavy loads when needed.

So far I love the AA OD, have not pulled any heavy loads yet, but most of the time I am only using it for OD but have split 3rd gear at times.

I have since heard that AA has stopped making them, I got mine about a year ago. I don't know if it is because of the virus, I had to wait a long time for mine because of it, of they just don't have to volume needed to keep making them?

So that only leaves the GV over drive to use at this time.

Dave ----

Looks like it’s divorced transfer case only. There are no other tailpieces I could find other than what comes with the transmission.

I think I will go with the M5OD. I have found a place nearby that sells rebuilds for $1000 with a warranty. And yeah my engine is going to remain stock or else I gotta figure out how to pass CA emissions every other year, so no need for anything stronger.

Looks like it’s divorced transfer case only. There are no other tailpieces I could find other than what comes with the transmission.

I think I will go with the M5OD. I have found a place nearby that sells rebuilds for $1000 with a warranty. And yeah my engine is going to remain stock or else I gotta figure out how to pass CA emissions every other year, so no need for anything stronger.

I think you'll be happy with that choice. And for $1k with a warranty you can't go wrong.