Bullnose Forums

1980/81 sliding door lock project

Thanks for that offer, but I think those are out of my league. But it is good to know it can be done. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah it's pricey! I might be able to make some of these for you guys here and there. Every once in a while we have to do a test build on a machine for calibration of the machine, or a sensor test, etc. It's entirely possible I could put these on during a test. I didn't mention that the first time because I definitely cannot guarantee it.

Today was a big day for the sliders, I finished cleaning them up and installed the passenger side, the driver side will only take another 20 minutes, so I'm essentially done. First thing was cleaning up the parts after removing the columns (support structure for fabrication). Here is one slider cleaned up, and one that is not.

20210227_112322.jpg.92c8c58a637ef95a763183b916174be1.jpg

And cleaning up the sliding surface on the bezel

20210227_112256.jpg.8b0926a333045b8afe3dc5cdeef5b605.jpg

After cleaning up all 4 parts, and hitting then with a wire wheel, I clear coated them to keep them from dulling over time (hopefully)

20210227_133509.jpg.8ad1dd6a97f51cb6f707891b0bcb92f5.jpg

Tapping the bolt holes on the bezel...

20210227_142137.jpg.0feecd354180de6e658854c356daf6c2.jpg

Then wobbled out the spring/backplate from the original lock, and bolted it together

20210227_143802.jpg.a81a186dedff932440729ada6a75624f.jpg

And here it is installed on Elain

20210227_161110.jpg.1333476b9e28264ec77edd90cd2d7538.jpg20210227_161116.jpg.905531b49ac5f82b2e580ca548995942.jpg

I'm really happy with how it looks. My only concern is that it might rattle, but if it does I'll add some plastic between the slider and bezel to fix it up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's pricey! I might be able to make some of these for you guys here and there. Every once in a while we have to do a test build on a machine for calibration of the machine, or a sensor test, etc. It's entirely possible I could put these on during a test. I didn't mention that the first time because I definitely cannot guarantee it.

Today was a big day for the sliders, I finished cleaning them up and installed the passenger side, the driver side will only take another 20 minutes, so I'm essentially done. First thing was cleaning up the parts after removing the columns (support structure for fabrication). Here is one slider cleaned up, and one that is not.

After cleaning up all 4 parts, and hitting then with a wire wheel, I clear coated them to keep them from dulling over time (hopefully)

Then wobbled out the spring/backplate from the original lock, and bolted it together

I'm really happy with how it looks. My only concern is that it might rattle, but if it does I'll add some plastic between the slider and bezel to fix it up.

Great job!

That is really cool! But, being metal it should be able to withstand 400F, right? That being the case the parts could be powder coated. And certainly we could hit them with SEM Color Coat to make them match the interior.

That is really cool! But, being metal it should be able to withstand 400F, right? That being the case the parts could be powder coated. And certainly we could hit them with SEM Color Coat to make them match the interior.

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. I've never powder coating anything, that could be interesting. I'll have to think on it, I think on one hand it's cool to have it stand out since it's obviously unique, but on the other hand it shouldn't stand out in a bad way.

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. I've never powder coating anything, that could be interesting. I'll have to think on it, I think on one hand it's cool to have it stand out since it's obviously unique, but on the other hand it shouldn't stand out in a bad way.

I've powder coated thousands of things, but there's no way I know of to have a powder that matches the colors Ford used on the interiors, unless it is black. And even then there are lots of "blacks". But SEM Color Coat is said to work on metal. So you could match it that way.

I've powder coated thousands of things, but there's no way I know of to have a powder that matches the colors Ford used on the interiors, unless it is black. And even then there are lots of "blacks". But SEM Color Coat is said to work on metal. So you could match it that way.

Very nice. Price wise they would be too much for me but they would look great in my truck. Congrats.

Very nice. Price wise they would be too much for me but they would look great in my truck. Congrats.

Nice job and look great installed in your truck.

My truck had nothing for either door so don't even know what they look like other than on the web.

They are also out of my price range and being LMC no longer has them and if they did they may have the same issues as the factory ones.

I think I am going with the door top push / pull but keep my latch so they work backwards.

Oh I also need to replace the door panels and why the door lock change.

Dave ----

ps they would look great left alum on red door panels :nabble_smiley_wink:

Nice job and look great installed in your truck.

My truck had nothing for either door so don't even know what they look like other than on the web.

They are also out of my price range and being LMC no longer has them and if they did they may have the same issues as the factory ones.

I think I am going with the door top push / pull but keep my latch so they work backwards.

Oh I also need to replace the door panels and why the door lock change.

Dave ----

ps they would look great left alum on red door panels :nabble_smiley_wink:

In your case we would have to figure out a solution to hold it in the door panel since I reused the backing plate from the original.

I realized as I reviewed the thread that I didn't post a good closeup of the assembled part, so here is one.

20210227_143814.jpg.07fbdc2f099de3d73a70c8182ff4bea9.jpg

In your case we would have to figure out a solution to hold it in the door panel since I reused the backing plate from the original.

I realized as I reviewed the thread that I didn't post a good closeup of the assembled part, so here is one.

We can probably come up with backing plates. But the rest of it is usually broken, if not missing.

Can you do it in plastic for less cost?

We can probably come up with backing plates. But the rest of it is usually broken, if not missing.

Can you do it in plastic for less cost?

Oh yeah, plastic is easy. It would cost about $1 in material and then whatever one wants to charge in machine time. Since it isn't really a business for me I wouldn't need much, if anything.

I have a 3D printer for plastic sitting on the desk here near the computer. I'll print one sometime this week and post pictures. The inexpensive plastic machines don't have the same resolution as the laser machines (metal or plastic), but I bet it's still better than a broken lock :)