Bullnose Forums

Question on hood to cowl alignment

Rembrant

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you bend it on the truck or remove it?

Bent it on the truck in about one minute. I did the center, and then once on each side of center, and boom, the hood is all aligned evenly with the cowl again.

Any idea how it got flattened?

And, how much width did it lose when you arched it?

It's kind of hard to explain, but I will try. When I put the fenders back on the truck, I used stainless motor alignment shims that we have in kits in the shop. They are fine, except they have a tab sticking out that factory shims to not. Anyway, I didn't realize it at the time, but these tabs sticking out on both side interfered with the hood springs when closed. The hood was hard to close, but I slammed it closed anyway (several times). So I think what happened was that when I did this it bent the outer edges of the hood UP, thus causing the middle of the hood to bow downwards. That's all I can think of at least...the hood was resting up again the wall on its side...so maybe it got hit then when it was just sitting around.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I will try. When I put the fenders back on the truck, I used stainless motor alignment shims that we have in kits in the shop. They are fine, except they have a tab sticking out that factory shims to not. Anyway, I didn't realize it at the time, but these tabs sticking out on both side interfered with the hood springs when closed. The hood was hard to close, but I slammed it closed anyway (several times). So I think what happened was that when I did this it bent the outer edges of the hood UP, thus causing the middle of the hood to bow downwards. That's all I can think of at least...the hood was resting up again the wall on its side...so maybe it got hit then when it was just sitting around.

Sounds reasonable.

I've just got some Bondo spreaders for fender shims, but it seems I have a similar problem, so appreciate you sharing. :nabble_smiley_cool: