Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

There's an eccentric that adjusts the caster and camber. I used this one on Big Blue with his D60 front axle, but there are ones for the TIB and TTB front ends as well.

Moog K80108 Caster/Camber Adjusting Bushing

I started disassembling the front passenger side hub this evening and I ran across something I have not seen before. The nuts that torque against the bearings have 6 lug recesses on them. Every video I have watched has only 4 lug recesses in these nuts. Does anyone know what size this socket is that has the 6 lugs?

Update: Looks like it is 2 5/8 outer spindle nut size.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started disassembling the front passenger side hub this evening and I ran across something I have not seen before. The nuts that torque against the bearings have 6 lug recesses on them. Every video I have watched has only 4 lug recesses in these nuts. Does anyone know what size this socket is that has the 6 lugs?

I'm glad you figured it out as I sure didn't know. :nabble_anim_confused:

That's really a puzzle! But then, the MPC is full of contradictions and puzzles.

The only two mentions of 9100 GVW are for an E-Series van and this 1981 F350, and even then it is only in the rear axle section, not front axle. So if I were you'd I'd look on the certification label to see what your truck's rating is rather than rely on the Marti report.

Oh, and there's no mention of using the E0TZ 5310-U springs on any truck, even though they are listed as available in that table. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Hey Gary, do you remember back a couple months when you were helping me figure out the springs on my truck? I ran across something today that aligns with your post of the 1981 F350 with the 9100 GVWR. I ran across a Certification/Model label decoder in the front of the MPC. On my door label it says my "Type - GVW" is F361. When I looked that up in the chart, here is what I found:

Screenshot_2022-06-28_201537.png.58a6587444573b09c86d016f828f4d2d.png

Built in 12/1979 my truck is clearly a 1980 but the MPC fails to recognize it in multiple places. Just another layer of the onion I guess!! :nabble_anim_crazy:

The early dana 60 axles had a 6 lug nut. At least my 78 does. This is the socket I bought to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-27400-Wheel-Bearing-Lock-Nut/dp/B000COA10S?th=1

It has both 4 and 6 lug.

The early dana 60 axles had a 6 lug nut. At least my 78 does. This is the socket I bought to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-27400-Wheel-Bearing-Lock-Nut/dp/B000COA10S?th=1

It has both 4 and 6 lug.

Thanks Bruce! I like the idea of having a socket that will do both the 4 and 6 lug spanner nuts. My front axel is a Dana 50 and I know they shared a lot of parts with the Dana 60 so I’m not surprised that the nuts would be the same.

Thanks Bruce! I like the idea of having a socket that will do both the 4 and 6 lug spanner nuts. My front axel is a Dana 50 and I know they shared a lot of parts with the Dana 60 so I’m not surprised that the nuts would be the same.

I just thoughtI need to clarify, The 4 pin is for the smaller Dana 44 spindle nut. It is not the bigger 4 for the later 60's and probably the 50's. I have never worked on a 50.

I just thoughtI need to clarify, The 4 pin is for the smaller Dana 44 spindle nut. It is not the bigger 4 for the later 60's and probably the 50's. I have never worked on a 50.

I tried removing the front passenger spindle a couple days ago with a maul and a chunk of 4x4. It wouldn’t budge so I ordered the spindle socket that attaches to a slide hammer.

6CC7CC9C-19DC-47D1-A3B8-3C48CF9E4CF2.jpeg.de7d159c0bb08b8b8a6f01a646cd0ac8.jpeg

The spindle came out of the knuckle in 2 minutes!

90E6DF66-5936-4678-AB17-00431CCF02DD.jpeg.19290e404d79fb77f32c386a133f5574.jpeg

4C213F92-8C83-47E1-827D-E1D3B145E348.jpeg.8c40c671e5cd9a08e6dea69fcd4bba46.jpeg

I also noticed the brake dust shield is in rough shape. Does anyone make replacements? A quick search of the usual places has come up empty.

AD25EB43-7272-4DD0-A170-9546334F2A26.jpeg.70079f163fd0da14f6d6d7b9e6ffd1ef.jpeg

I tried removing the front passenger spindle a couple days ago with a maul and a chunk of 4x4. It wouldn’t budge so I ordered the spindle socket that attaches to a slide hammer.

I also noticed the brake dust shield is in rough shape. Does anyone make replacements? A quick search of the usual places has come up empty.

I'll have to remember that. I fought the spindle on Huck for a couple of days!

But I don't think anyone is making the dust shields. Mine were so bad I'm running w/o them.

I'm disappointed that the big can of pb blaster didn't make it slide off like butter.

not sure that anyone makes replacement dust shields as I have never been able to find them either. it one of those less sought-after parts that I seek on resto jobs too. often going through the work to get to them at a yard simply because they are there when I'm treasure hunting. we do a ton of fab work in the shop and have even considered trying to come up with a set / pattern.but if i did then I would have to know dimensions of who knows how many models unless I made to suit each time. time is money and that gets it moved to the back of the line.

But I don't think anyone is making the dust shields. Mine were so bad I'm running w/o them.

I looked everywhere for them, some places claimed to have them in stock, but when I placed the order, their stock disappeared. I wasted several weeks on those cycles. As I recall, those prices were all around $50-$75 apiece. Finally I found a pair on eBay for $200. They are very hard to find, but they are out there if you keep looking.

Like Gary, I struggled for a week to get the spindles off. I made a slide hammer tool, my spindles just laughed at that.

IMG_3054.jpg.1f043661bc31ca5819af52292d39e014.jpg

Finally built a real tool and got them to pay attention.

IMG_3052.jpg.9a528d0e9b9677d8b3e3e105489cc17e.jpg

It's now available for passing around as needed, should anybody be fighting the battle Gary and I did.