Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

There are two types of bushings: rubber, like Ford used, and poly, which most aftermarket companies sell. The rubber ones are softer and isolate better. But I've used poly for my rebuilds.

I've not bought springs, but I bought some spring liner material from Eaton Springs and they really seemed to know their business.

I pulled the axel pivot bushing out today. It was probably the worst one I’ve seen yet. I think I’m going to go with polyurethane for the axel pivot bushings and standard rubber for the shackle bushings. Obviously new springs will come with rubber bushings.

0E888FBF-0679-4742-B9A0-2A15404B917C.jpeg.38074680fc670dbbcfbc49baba59dd68.jpeg

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled the axel pivot bushing out today. It was probably the worst one I’ve seen yet. I think I’m going to go with polyurethane for the axel pivot bushings and standard rubber for the shackle bushings. Obviously new springs will come with rubber bushings.

Yikes! That is BAD! You are going to make a major improvement in the handling of the truck when you get done. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...

Yikes! That is BAD! You are going to make a major improvement in the handling of the truck when you get done. :nabble_smiley_good:

I’ve been evaluating what to do for springs and now that I have that semi figured out, I ordered some parts to get the front end put back together. I have a question about the mounting style. The original shock (quite possibly from 1980) has the bolt in the bottom eye and it is not removable.

33A536DE-469D-4C70-B0D8-96F297E26CD9.thumb.jpeg.35416d4b9a313702da49781918f4eea9.jpeg

The new shock is an open eye on the bottom.

5487026F-067C-49E4-9D80-D7FFC3EDABCF.thumb.jpeg.e148a0894a6d3cb42d232f7c91bf7f90.jpeg

Is this as simple as getting some grade 8 hardware from the store and bolting it up or is there special hardware needed?

I’ve been evaluating what to do for springs and now that I have that semi figured out, I ordered some parts to get the front end put back together. I have a question about the mounting style. The original shock (quite possibly from 1980) has the bolt in the bottom eye and it is not removable.

The new shock is an open eye on the bottom.

Is this as simple as getting some grade 8 hardware from the store and bolting it up or is there special hardware needed?

Yes, it is basically that simple. However, the hardware needs to be a close fit, and if I remember correctly that is a metric bolt... :nabble_anim_working:

Yep, that bolt is N606084 and that is an M12 70mm long and it is a 9.8, which is roughly a G5. So you might be able to get a 1/2" bolt in there. I don't know.

Yes, it is basically that simple. However, the hardware needs to be a close fit, and if I remember correctly that is a metric bolt... :nabble_anim_working:

Yep, that bolt is N606084 and that is an M12 70mm long and it is a 9.8, which is roughly a G5. So you might be able to get a 1/2" bolt in there. I don't know.

Thanks Gary! I’ll see what I can find to fit.

I have another bolt question. My spring bolts and my U bolts measure (with a manual caliper) M14 x 2.5. I am searching for something to clean the threads with before I put everything back together. That size doesn’t seem to exist. I can find M14 x 2. Is M14 x 2.5 even a valid size?

Thanks Gary! I’ll see what I can find to fit.

I have another bolt question. My spring bolts and my U bolts measure (with a manual caliper) M14 x 2.5. I am searching for something to clean the threads with before I put everything back together. That size doesn’t seem to exist. I can find M14 x 2. Is M14 x 2.5 even a valid size?

I don't see an M14 x 2.5 in anything I can find online. Are you sure it isn't SAE?

I don't see an M14 x 2.5 in anything I can find online. Are you sure it isn't SAE?

I'm pretty sure they are 9/16 fine thread. when no other is available use a wire brush in a drill. if the nuts came off you can expect them to go back easy enough.

and it should take a 13/16 socket

According to the master parts catalog it is bolt number N800991-S2. I'm not sure where to find Ford's official description for that bolt but this listing on Ebay says it is a M14 x 130mm.

Screenshot_2022-05-30_220320.png.858f7db3345197cfd9a558df09a18394.png

I wish it would say what the thread pitch is. :nabble_smiley_uh: