Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Label says same thing. 9100 lb GVWR and 4500 lb GAWR front. I guess I’ll keep digging.

I'm not seeing a table in the 1980 dealer facts book that shows the various GVWR's. But I can see your axle ratings.

There's a Payload Package Selector table, and in the Opt column there's a 2041 (4500) selection for the F350's front axle and a 2834 (6250) rear axle option. Plus a note that says "Front and Rear GAWRs will in all cases sum to a number equal to or greater than the GVWR for the particular vehicle."

And on the page for Options the Snow Plow Preparation Package says that a 2041 kg (4500 lb) front axle is included.

I'm not seeing a table in the 1980 dealer facts book that shows the various GVWR's. But I can see your axle ratings.

There's a Payload Package Selector table, and in the Opt column there's a 2041 (4500) selection for the F350's front axle and a 2834 (6250) rear axle option. Plus a note that says "Front and Rear GAWRs will in all cases sum to a number equal to or greater than the GVWR for the particular vehicle."

And on the page for Options the Snow Plow Preparation Package says that a 2041 kg (4500 lb) front axle is included.

I see the same things you did in the 1980 Dealer Facts Book.

Do you remember by chance where the 3485# rating came from in the cross reference you posted above for the E0TZ-5310-U spring?

I see the same things you did in the 1980 Dealer Facts Book.

Do you remember by chance where the 3485# rating came from in the cross reference you posted above for the E0TZ-5310-U spring?

Yes. Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension then the Part #'s tab, Springs tab, Cross Reference Chart tab. (Man, that stuff is hidden! :nabble_smiley_cry:)

Yes. Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension then the Part #'s tab, Springs tab, Cross Reference Chart tab. (Man, that stuff is hidden! :nabble_smiley_cry:)

No worries! I got there.

Two questions:

1. How can E3TZ-5310-R be listed as both a 3290# and a 3485# spring?

2. What does the star mean? The r/b means "replaced by" according to the abbreviations section of the Ford master parts catalog.

So depending on what the star means, do I interpret that to read that E3TZ-5310-R replaced E0TZ-5310-U and E0TZ-5310-T (which would negate my 1st question above)?

Screenshot_2022-04-07_151320.png.d82894ba42f1e1159d483886bf59e87b.png

No worries! I got there.

Two questions:

1. How can E3TZ-5310-R be listed as both a 3290# and a 3485# spring?

2. What does the star mean? The r/b means "replaced by" according to the abbreviations section of the Ford master parts catalog.

So depending on what the star means, do I interpret that to read that E3TZ-5310-R replaced E0TZ-5310-U and E0TZ-5310-T (which would negate my 1st question above)?

The star means it is NLA, as explained below. And it looks to me that they actually did away with the 3290

E0-T spring and replaced it with the 3485# E3-R spring. I'm guessing that there just wasn't enough demand for the 3290# spring to warrant having it.

Symbols_In_MPC.thumb.jpg.deabeaecbd870245eaf69a867c92fefc.jpg

The star means it is NLA, as explained below. And it looks to me that they actually did away with the 3290

E0-T spring and replaced it with the 3485# E3-R spring. I'm guessing that there just wasn't enough demand for the 3290# spring to warrant having it.

I guess that explains why you couldn't find the E0-U spring used on any F series truck.

And now I know which spring I need! And it is readily available!

Thanks for your help nailing this down Gary!

Happy to help. :nabble_smiley_good:

I had a chance to pull the passenger front shackle today. Now that it is out of the truck it does not appear to be bent. The bushing however was in rough shape. I think the poor condition of the bushing made it appear to be bent. I was able to remove the bushing and now I just need to find a replacement.

5E613DFF-C1A9-4E70-9158-B76507C6A9FE.jpeg.b9ad6c5088b50d6ce0cccd1d000dbff0.jpeg

2EA3B229-1D3B-49D3-8C58-48B8612E7AAD.jpeg.a81ec0d7abb93095cd10edd4f3c53994.jpeg

The center sleeve was almost resting on the shackle without any weight on it. I’m sure it was touching when the weight of the truck was on it. There was also a rub mark on the shackle where it was touching the frame. I’m fairly convinced that rebuilding the front end will resolve a number of issues. Now I just need to find a good place to get springs.

I had a chance to pull the passenger front shackle today. Now that it is out of the truck it does not appear to be bent. The bushing however was in rough shape. I think the poor condition of the bushing made it appear to be bent. I was able to remove the bushing and now I just need to find a replacement.

The center sleeve was almost resting on the shackle without any weight on it. I’m sure it was touching when the weight of the truck was on it. There was also a rub mark on the shackle where it was touching the frame. I’m fairly convinced that rebuilding the front end will resolve a number of issues. Now I just need to find a good place to get springs.

There are two types of bushings: rubber, like Ford used, and poly, which most aftermarket companies sell. The rubber ones are softer and isolate better. But I've used poly for my rebuilds.

I've not bought springs, but I bought some spring liner material from Eaton Springs and they really seemed to know their business.