Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

My experience is that the bleeder valves leak at the thread and introduce air into the stream, creating bubbles. You might try packing a heavy grease around the base of the bleeder valve to seal it.

X2

Dave ----

I tried adjusting the wrench about every I could to get rid of the bubbles. I will try the grease and see what that does.

If that works and there are no more bubbles but the pedal is still soft, are we looking at master cylinder?

I tried adjusting the wrench about every I could to get rid of the bubbles. I will try the grease and see what that does.

If that works and there are no more bubbles but the pedal is still soft, are we looking at master cylinder?

I doubt the master would make the pedal soft, unless it is leaking by pretty badly internally. If so, it would be time to replace it.

Instead, I'm thinking you'll need to bleed the system more. And drive it and then bleed it. Sometimes there are air bubbles lodged in the system that don't want to come loose w/o bouncing.

I doubt the master would make the pedal soft, unless it is leaking by pretty badly internally. If so, it would be time to replace it.

Instead, I'm thinking you'll need to bleed the system more. And drive it and then bleed it. Sometimes there are air bubbles lodged in the system that don't want to come loose w/o bouncing.

If it's only one wheel cylinder I would definitely try grease around the threads.

I never have much luck using my Silverline, as far as bubbles go.

But it is handy to pull fluid through.

You can also use them in reverse. But you really need to keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't overflow.

If it's only one wheel cylinder I would definitely try grease around the threads.

I never have much luck using my Silverline, as far as bubbles go.

But it is handy to pull fluid through.

You can also use them in reverse. But you really need to keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't overflow.

There's the beauty of the later master cylinder with the plastic reservoir. Holds much more and shares it between front and rear. Plus, it is easy to put 3 - 5 psi on it and pressure-bleed the system.

There's the beauty of the later master cylinder with the plastic reservoir. Holds much more and shares it between front and rear. Plus, it is easy to put 3 - 5 psi on it and pressure-bleed the system.

They do sell a plate / cap for the older masters so you can pressure bleed the system.

BTW that was the only way I could get a pedal.

Dave ----

They do sell a plate / cap for the older masters so you can pressure bleed the system.

BTW that was the only way I could get a pedal.

Dave ----

If I remember correctly the price of that plate to pressure bleed was more than a new later model master. And then you still have the individual reservoirs for front vs rear, which makes it easier to run out while you are pressure bleeding.

Granted you have to go to the salvage and get an extra cap and gasket for the later master in order to make an adapter to pressure bleed it, but that's peanuts.

If I remember correctly the price of that plate to pressure bleed was more than a new later model master. And then you still have the individual reservoirs for front vs rear, which makes it easier to run out while you are pressure bleeding.

Granted you have to go to the salvage and get an extra cap and gasket for the later master in order to make an adapter to pressure bleed it, but that's peanuts.

Tried the grease around the threads trick tonight. Not quite sure what happened but I had a hard time getting fluid to flow. Once I finally did I still couldn't get rid of the bubbles and the fluid was dark the whole time. The other 3 flowed pretty easy and the fluid cleared up relatively quickly. Any other tips? I'm wondering if I should try disconnecting the line from the cylinder and pull a vacuum on the line to see what happens. Thoughts?

Tried the grease around the threads trick tonight. Not quite sure what happened but I had a hard time getting fluid to flow. Once I finally did I still couldn't get rid of the bubbles and the fluid was dark the whole time. The other 3 flowed pretty easy and the fluid cleared up relatively quickly. Any other tips? I'm wondering if I should try disconnecting the line from the cylinder and pull a vacuum on the line to see what happens. Thoughts?

I wouldn't pull the line. Instead I'd pull the bleeder screw and put PTFE paste on its threads and put it back on. That will seal the threads.

I wouldn't pull the line. Instead I'd pull the bleeder screw and put PTFE paste on its threads and put it back on. That will seal the threads.

Thanks Gary! I’ll try that as soon as it decides to stop raining for 30 min or so!