Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all! It appears as though I have an 83 - 86 box and the tailgate I purchased is set up for cables so I'm good. :nabble_anim_jump:

Now comes the fun part. All of the nee cables i have been able to find are for the newer 90-96 . The tailgate end is different diameter and takes either a bushing or a larger headed bolt. Thats the easy part. The crimed on end has a different “ offset” so it may need fitting or it can hang up on the edge of the tailgate. Sort that out before doing new paint. Just sayin! I Felt like a real idiot one day in my distant past. But i learned

Now comes the fun part. All of the nee cables i have been able to find are for the newer 90-96 . The tailgate end is different diameter and takes either a bushing or a larger headed bolt. Thats the easy part. The crimed on end has a different “ offset” so it may need fitting or it can hang up on the edge of the tailgate. Sort that out before doing new paint. Just sayin! I Felt like a real idiot one day in my distant past. But i learned

I purchased Dorman 38507 and the bolt end was just fine. You are correct on the offset though. I figure I'll either trim the gate or bend the gromet... or maybe both.

I purchased Dorman 38507 and the bolt end was just fine. You are correct on the offset though. I figure I'll either trim the gate or bend the gromet... or maybe both.

I did some careful bending. The risk is them straitening back out. I like the idea of spacing it out with fender washers if there is enough bolt .

I was able to get my last tire on today after having the nail removed and tire patched. First I checked clearance with the front tires turned left and right. With the old running boards removed, there were no issues. Next I idled forward and reverse while listening for any scraping or binding noises. None were apparent so I ran it around the driveway a few times. It definitely drove smoother with the new to me tires. It’s no Cadillac, but it was better.

Based on other articles I have read, I think I need to look at all the bushings in the front (shackle and pivot) to see what condition those are in as well as the shocks. I am leaning toward polyurethane for the pivot bushings and rubber for the shackle bushings. What have others done and what results have you seen?

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get my last tire on today after having the nail removed and tire patched. First I checked clearance with the front tires turned left and right. With the old running boards removed, there were no issues. Next I idled forward and reverse while listening for any scraping or binding noises. None were apparent so I ran it around the driveway a few times. It definitely drove smoother with the new to me tires. It’s no Cadillac, but it was better.

Based on other articles I have read, I think I need to look at all the bushings in the front (shackle and pivot) to see what condition those are in as well as the shocks. I am leaning toward polyurethane for the pivot bushings and rubber for the shackle bushings. What have others done and what results have you seen?

I noticed something today and I’m guessing it isn’t normal but I’m not quite sure what is causing it. The passenger side front spring shackle is resting on the frame. The drivers side is not. I’m guessing it shouldn’t be resting where it is. Anything specific that would cause this or is it just worn out bushings?

7DD2EFFE-A199-4C61-92C9-37339BABB993.jpeg.68bf48f71e906244e72932ad06cea1d7.jpeg

I noticed something today and I’m guessing it isn’t normal but I’m not quite sure what is causing it. The passenger side front spring shackle is resting on the frame. The drivers side is not. I’m guessing it shouldn’t be resting where it is. Anything specific that would cause this or is it just worn out bushings?

Is it the frame or the bumper it is hitting? Either way, it can't be right. I'm wondering if the spring hanger is bent. I'd measure it vs the other side.