Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

Some place I need to document this 'cause I have to keep telling people about it since it is so bizarre. But any # on a part is not a part #. Does that make sense? It doesn't to me. :nabble_anim_crazy:

In the 60's Ford had one of their Better Ideas, and I think it says a lot that it was in the 60's. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But the idea was that they'd put ID #'s on the parts and part numbers in the Master Parts Catalog. Then they published a Master Cross Reference List where both are listed. I have three of those cross reference books, and the 1980 version thereof is 1228 pages long. :nabble_smiley_oh:

And, sure enough, ID # E0TH-18D306-AA cross references to E0TZ-18518-A.

One tipoff that you are looking at an ID #, other than it being on the part, is that the prefix should be something like E0TZ and not E0TH. Another is the double-character suffix like -AA. Part numbers, from what I see, never went to more than one character. But ID #'s had both single and double-character suffixes.

Well, Christmas came early for me! As you may know I have been looking for a temp control cable for my truck. It is a cable that was only used on 1980 and early 1981 trucks so it is not abundantly available. I had noticed a few on eBay over the last 6 months or so but never pulled the trigger due to the $100 or more cost.

Then last month I ran across a post in this forum where someone had listed numerous sources for NOS parts. I thought…what the heck, let’s give it a shot.

The second or third web site listed was for www.rearcounter.com. I typed in the part number and it came back with 1 available. I sent a message and got a reply from Miller’s Obsolete Parts in New York. He said he had the part and it would be $30 plus shipping :nabble_anim_jump:. I called him up at the number he left (they have no web site) and we completed the transaction. On Tuesday a NOS temp control cable arrived at my home with some of the 1980’s Ford packaging still around the part. The part functioned wonderfully and I was able to get it installed today.

I just want to give a special shout out to Gary and everyone who shares their knowledge and experiences in his forum. During this season of giving, and all throughout the year, those small gifts of knowledge can really make someone’s day!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Christmas came early for me! As you may know I have been looking for a temp control cable for my truck. It is a cable that was only used on 1980 and early 1981 trucks so it is not abundantly available. I had noticed a few on eBay over the last 6 months or so but never pulled the trigger due to the $100 or more cost.

Then last month I ran across a post in this forum where someone had listed numerous sources for NOS parts. I thought…what the heck, let’s give it a shot.

The second or third web site listed was for www.rearcounter.com. I typed in the part number and it came back with 1 available. I sent a message and got a reply from Miller’s Obsolete Parts in New York. He said he had the part and it would be $30 plus shipping :nabble_anim_jump:. I called him up at the number he left (they have no web site) and we completed the transaction. On Tuesday a NOS temp control cable arrived at my home with some of the 1980’s Ford packaging still around the part. The part functioned wonderfully and I was able to get it installed today.

I just want to give a special shout out to Gary and everyone who shares their knowledge and experiences in his forum. During this season of giving, and all throughout the year, those small gifts of knowledge can really make someone’s day!

That’s great! Good to know. Thanks for the follow up.

Excellent! Good to see such a positive report. Finding just the right part at a reasonable price is such a good feeling!

So Merry Christmas!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! Good to see such a positive report. Finding just the right part at a reasonable price is such a good feeling!

So Merry Christmas!!!!

I went out to start my truck a few days ago to keep the fluids flowing and much to my surprise the tach was working again! I couldn’t believe it. I hadn’t done anything to it since I tested all the incoming wires to ensure everything was in order (which it was). Any thoughts on why it may have come back to life?

I went out to start my truck a few days ago to keep the fluids flowing and much to my surprise the tach was working again! I couldn’t believe it. I hadn’t done anything to it since I tested all the incoming wires to ensure everything was in order (which it was). Any thoughts on why it may have come back to life?

It healed it's self :nabble_anim_confused:

It could be when you were checking you moved some wires and it made a better connection is all I got.

Dave ----

Sounds like my fuel gauge.....arghhhh! One thing though, it does work in the rain....LOL!

Sounds like my fuel gauge.....arghhhh! One thing though, it does work in the rain....LOL!

I have a wheel question. My truck has the 8x6.5 bolt pattern. I am looking at a set of used rims that have the same bolt pattern but I started to wonder about the bolt size. Are all the 8x6.5 wheel studs the same diameter and thread size on these trucks? I think I may need new lug nuts as well and am also wondering if I can find left hand thread for the Dana 61 on the drivers side. Has anyone else worked through this on their truck?

Here are the ones I am looking at.

883A07F4-EC9C-4222-8D7D-B7FE78331CBA.thumb.png.2c8e68a9c34387db19eeef44dd8e2bc8.png

• 5 weeks later...

I have a wheel question. My truck has the 8x6.5 bolt pattern. I am looking at a set of used rims that have the same bolt pattern but I started to wonder about the bolt size. Are all the 8x6.5 wheel studs the same diameter and thread size on these trucks? I think I may need new lug nuts as well and am also wondering if I can find left hand thread for the Dana 61 on the drivers side. Has anyone else worked through this on their truck?

Here are the ones I am looking at.

I finally picked up some wheels and tires. I ended up sticking with steel wheels in a 16" size. They have not been on a vehicle in almost 2 years and as such, need some air but are in very good shape with only about 800 miles on them. My question is...is there a way to know the optimum tire pressure to inflate the tires to for best wear? Most of my other vehicles are in the low 30 PSI range (32 or 34 PSI). Would these follow that or should they be a higher PSI? The tire size is 315/75/16.