Bullnose Forums

Power steering belts "matched set"

I know that some industrial belts are like multiple V-belts in a single carcass.

I wonder if I can split a pair out of one of those?

Good question. I know that the common industrial A-B series V-belts are not the same as automotive V-belts, but I don't know what the difference is. I know the guys in the belt shops are always complaining about car guys coming in...lol. (Edit...I should say they used to complain...not many v-belt applications left on the road where I live. Just the classics in the summer, and none in the winter months).

I know that some industrial belts are like multiple V-belts in a single carcass.

Good question. I know that the common industrial A-B series V-belts are not the same as automotive V-belts, but I don't know what the difference is. I know the guys in the belt shops are always complaining about car guys coming in...lol. (Edit...I should say they used to complain...not many v-belt applications left on the road where I live. Just the classics in the summer, and none in the winter months).

Well, ill try not to tic off the guys at the power transmission warehouse. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm still going to be looking for a matched set from a quality manufacturer. Dayco, Goodyear, Gates or something else.

Yep At the hospital a lot of my AHU would run 4 to 6 belts we called mats that way.

They looked like they for got to cut the belts apart to make singles.

The 2 & 3 belt units I could get matched single belts but we are talking B & C wide belts.

Also some of the single industrial belts were green to tell you they were industrial belts.

They would last longer than the normal black belts.

Dave ----

Mike, I have the same issue.

A long time ago you could buy 'matched set' belts from Gates.

But I don't think that is the case anymore.

So, yes it is (or was) a real thing.

Since I have to deal with it I will let you know what I find when I talk with my commercial guys at the warehouse.

I've never had to buy a matched automotive set, but I know it is common in the industrial world. We used to buy matched sets all the time. Sometimes, it was a matter of the guy going through the belts he had in-stock to make-up a matched set. They get all mixed up in shipping, but it is often the case that they have belts from the same batch in-stock...they just don't know it until they look.

Here's some reading from Gates: https://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000194.pdf

Rembrandt thank you for the link. That was excellent information to have in my back pocket while chasing these belts down. There are 8 parts stored in my area I had to continuously reiterate "matched set", and explain to more than half of them. Thanks to you I went into this educated about what I needed. A couple of the parts houses told me they had them, then when I showed up they weren't a match. I even had carquest which had one belt call the other car quest that had one belt they determined they were a matched set,I show up to pick up the second belt and no they were not. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Last option was the smallest part store in town just a mom and pop joint i had never been in there. The place always look like it was on the verge of being pushed out by the the corporate parts stored. But guess what?? A matched set of Gates...Victory!! :nabble_anim_claps: No more squeeling like a pig.

Again the shop talk here is spot on . Thanks everyone for the lesson.

Rembrandt thank you for the link. That was excellent information to have in my back pocket while chasing these belts down. There are 8 parts stored in my area I had to continuously reiterate "matched set", and explain to more than half of them. Thanks to you I went into this educated about what I needed. A couple of the parts houses told me they had them, then when I showed up they weren't a match. I even had carquest which had one belt call the other car quest that had one belt they determined they were a matched set,I show up to pick up the second belt and no they were not. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Last option was the smallest part store in town just a mom and pop joint i had never been in there. The place always look like it was on the verge of being pushed out by the the corporate parts stored. But guess what?? A matched set of Gates...Victory!! :nabble_anim_claps: No more squeeling like a pig.

What number are you using Mike?

15550?

Yippee! Perseverance, combined with education, pays off. :nabble_smiley_good:

My guess is that the people in the mom & pop joint have been in the business for a long time, including back in the pre-serpentine day when it wasn't unusual to have dual belts. But the kids running the computers in the corporate parts stores have never seen that need.

I walked into O'Reilly's the other day needing speedometer cable lube. The guy behind the counter asked "Year and model?" :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yippee! Perseverance, combined with education, pays off. :nabble_smiley_good:

My guess is that the people in the mom & pop joint have been in the business for a long time, including back in the pre-serpentine day when it wasn't unusual to have dual belts. But the kids running the computers in the corporate parts stores have never seen that need.

I walked into O'Reilly's the other day needing speedometer cable lube. The guy behind the counter asked "Year and model?" :nabble_smiley_cry:

https://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000194.pdf

Like i said to Cory, I don't care what Gates says, it doesn't work in practice.

I've gone to the warehouse and pulled adjacent belts out of a fresh case and they don't measure the same on a belt checker.

Either their manufacturing tolerances are not nearly what they would like you to believe or it is an outright lie for some marketing purposes.

I will continue to look for a matched pair, and when I do I'll change out my power steering belts for a pair I can tension together.

Gary funny you mentioned O'Riley's, I did the same there, I was returning an accelerator pump I bought and ended up not using. I gave it to the kid behind the computer with my receipt, and he looks as the package and says, with a cocky attitude" where's the rest of it, where's the pump" that was a good laugh, well deserved I might add. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Jim, Im using Gates 7545. Before I found these the guy at Advance Auto was going to order me the green stripe Gates, but said they don't come in 3/8...

Gary funny you mentioned O'Riley's, I did the same there, I was returning an accelerator pump I bought and ended up not using. I gave it to the kid behind the computer with my receipt, and he looks as the package and says, with a cocky attitude" where's the rest of it, where's the pump" that was a good laugh, well deserved I might add. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Jim, Im using Gates 7545. Before I found these the guy at Advance Auto was going to order me the green stripe Gates, but said they don't come in 3/8...

Thank you for that tidbit, Mike! :nabble_smiley_good: