Bullnose Forums

Clifford intake & header kit

tanman

Has anyone used the intake and header kit from Clifford? I’m considering this kit for my 86. I hear about a lot of issues with trying to fit the hedman headers near the starter.

Does anyone know what distributor I would need to pair with the intake? I’m thinking of using the DUI distributor and following the guide for this distributor swap in the site documentation section

This is my distributor

29F0B911-41E7-41E8-992A-8FF7B3501228.jpeg.d2ce23593518e33307e02839c49891be.jpeg

It's not so much the intake, as the carburetor.

You're either going to a DSII system or a HEI style distributor, and abandoning your EEC computer.

Either way you will need to add a vacuum line to control spark advance.

But consider how big that HEI cap is, with the coil in it.

I think Rob has one on Eddy Myrtle, so you might check his thread.

A PMGR starter from a mid-'90's 4.9 is smaller than your present starter and with the addition of a heat shield or blanket will help a lot with heat soak.

Headers don't have the heat absorbing mass of cast iron exhaust manifolds so a lot more heat is thrown off the pipes farther down by the starter.

It's not so much the intake, as the carburetor.

You're either going to a DSII system or a HEI style distributor, and abandoning your EEC computer.

Either way you will need to add a vacuum line to control spark advance.

But consider how big that HEI cap is, with the coil in it.

I think Rob has one on Eddy Myrtle, so you might check his thread.

A PMGR starter from a mid-'90's 4.9 is smaller than your present starter and with the addition of a heat shield or blanket will help a lot with heat soak.

Headers don't have the heat absorbing mass of cast iron exhaust manifolds so a lot more heat is thrown off the pipes farther down by the starter.

The big HEI dist. Is not such an issue on the 4.9 as it is on the v8s.

On the v8s the vacuum can hits everything when trying to adjust the timing.

Dave ----

FWIW, the wiring on the driver's side inner fender actually has the connection points for the DS-II system as Ford was using both EEC-IV systems for feedback carburetors and EFI and non-computer systems on the heavier trucks. If you go with a GM ignition, be aware that (a) it is a power hog and as a result (b) needs a dedicated 12 or 10 ga wire that receives full battery voltage with the key on. My recommendation for anyone back fitting an HEI system is to use a key on controlled relay to connect the battery directly to the HEI positive terminal.

I don't know what your plans are for the truck, but you can get an HEI distributor for a third of the price of a DUI. Then again, if you're thinking about the Clifford kit, price probably isn't much of a concern. Having not seen a DUI in person, I think they look about the same in the truck. The fitment can be an issue, but many have done it without any dramas. I replaced my pushrod cover with an EFI engine's cover, which maybe added to my issues, but with a minimal amount of filing, it fits.

Other's will sing the praises of a DSII setup...

Also, the headers from Clifford are not Hedman, they make their own. I hear they have excellent customer service, give them a call and discuss your concerns.

I don't know what your plans are for the truck, but you can get an HEI distributor for a third of the price of a DUI. Then again, if you're thinking about the Clifford kit, price probably isn't much of a concern. Having not seen a DUI in person, I think they look about the same in the truck. The fitment can be an issue, but many have done it without any dramas. I replaced my pushrod cover with an EFI engine's cover, which maybe added to my issues, but with a minimal amount of filing, it fits.

Also, the headers from Clifford are not Hedman, they make their own. I hear they have excellent customer service, give them a call and discuss your concerns.

Rob,

Since you have the experience, are you using timed or manifold vacuum with your HEI, and how do you have it routed over the engine?

Rob,

Since you have the experience, are you using timed or manifold vacuum with your HEI, and how do you have it routed over the engine?

Timed. It runs around the back of the engine with the PCV vacuum, brake booster vacuum, fuel line and choke cable.

Rob,

@Jim I had to do some research on what vaccuum and mechanical advance means. I think this article gave a good explanation. Apologies for it being a chevy website.

everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing

If I used a DUI distributor, where would this vacuum line connect? The carb?

@Sac79

I emailed Clifford and they responded quickly. I like their kit because it's all inclusive: carb, intake, headers, air cleaner, gaskets, and hardware. If you have any tips for a for more cost efficient distributor I'm open to saving some money. I would prefer to spend money though if it prevents tinkering.

@ArdWrknTrk

Noted on the PMGR starter, I will "start" by swapping that out.

@85lebaront2

Noted on the relay. I poured over the Ignition Simplification page and read about the relay and that big yellow wire over by the brake booster.

As always, thanks to everyone for the tips and conversation as I make ready to "fix" a perfectly good truck.

@Jim I had to do some research on what vaccuum and mechanical advance means. I think this article gave a good explanation. Apologies for it being a chevy website.

everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing

If I used a DUI distributor, where would this vacuum line connect? The carb?

You are talking about a Chevy style starter, I'd expect the knowledge base to be there.

While I don't think that's "Everything You Wanted To Know About Vacuum Advance And Ignition Timing" it is informative!

Yes, timed (or 'spark') vacuum has to come from the carburetor, because it has no vacuum at idle it is a port above the throttle plate, and the vacuum shoots up as soon as the butterflies open.

... very similar to how a transfer port works.

I'm not certain what carb Clifford includes but surely there is a timed vacuum port you can use.

I'll have a look at their website.