Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Hi again. Its been a while since last report. The last month we have had bad weather shifting between rain and snow. And a proper storm each weekend. Now it has turned cold enough to fill up with snow again...

Since I believe Eddie may still have the original water pump I have decided to put in a new. Got a ITM 28953 pump made in Malaysia. You may wonder how long that one will last. Came with a crashed gasket :nabble_smiley_angry: After removing radiator, fan, hoses and brackets I could unfasten the screws holding the pump in place. They all came off easily. Maybe they have been out before. Old and new pump. Back side. See difference in fan/ impeller. New temperatur sender. With the old one the reading was just over the C in the gauge. Try to put in the new pump in the next days.

Well, we have your weather coming in here tonight. Take it back! Rain turning to ice/sleet turning to snow, and then down to 7F. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, I'm glad your bolts came out nicely. That is very unusual. But good. However, I hope you are going to coat them with something that will make it easy to get them out next time. I use Loctite 56747 PST, but there are other things that should work.

The new water pump appears to have a more refined impeller. But otherwise it looks the same. Should be good.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we have your weather coming in here tonight. Take it back! Rain turning to ice/sleet turning to snow, and then down to 7F. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, I'm glad your bolts came out nicely. That is very unusual. But good. However, I hope you are going to coat them with something that will make it easy to get them out next time. I use Loctite 56747 PST, but there are other things that should work.

The new water pump appears to have a more refined impeller. But otherwise it looks the same. Should be good.

You are most of the way to being able to replace the timing chain if you wish to. I agree with Gary about using some kind of thread compound. Ive done that water pump job 4 times, we broke bolts on 3 of them. Im glad it worked out so well for you!

You are most of the way to being able to replace the timing chain if you wish to. I agree with Gary about using some kind of thread compound. Ive done that water pump job 4 times, we broke bolts on 3 of them. Im glad it worked out so well for you!

Hi.

A little snow and cold is good for you Gary.You can keep it. We have enough of it.IMG_20220202_111528_0.jpg.0f10393a89bdb61e2d811f450adbf4a3.jpg And Straightsix you are right. I think I will pull the cover to check the timing chain. The engine has been overhauled a few thousand miles ago. According to seller. But I dont know what has been done. Cant see toolmarks on the bolt heads on the timing cover though.

Will look into it in the weekend.

Hi.

A little snow and cold is good for you Gary.You can keep it. We have enough of it. And Straightsix you are right. I think I will pull the cover to check the timing chain. The engine has been overhauled a few thousand miles ago. According to seller. But I dont know what has been done. Cant see toolmarks on the bolt heads on the timing cover though.

Will look into it in the weekend.

Do keep in mind you may unintentionally damage the timing cover gasket and even the oil pan gasket. It would also be great to have a new front main seal, they are easy to replace once the cover comes off. They sell oil pan gasket repair kits for this job so you dont have to pull the pan to replace the whole thing.

Do keep in mind you may unintentionally damage the timing cover gasket and even the oil pan gasket. It would also be great to have a new front main seal, they are easy to replace once the cover comes off. They sell oil pan gasket repair kits for this job so you dont have to pull the pan to replace the whole thing.

Hi.

Decided to pull the timing chain cover off. The crankshaft could be turned 6 degrees before the rotor moved.

Thats within normal ? IMG_20220205_172703_9.jpg.2f2d80a4601edb3eb588f5fe2064e5b9.jpg When pulling off the harmonic balancer I managed to start splitting it in half. This is probably the old original.IMG_20220205_173931_6.jpg.9948ae05a5843ca56f0acfd66dd7a1cd.jpg All bolts and the cover came easily off. What do you think about the deflection of the chain ? IMG_20220205_175841_1.thumb.jpg.a0400586ca056adeef72f754fa656bb2.jpgIMG_20220205_175854_3.thumb.jpg.02d0f42dd588ae774114ad4ce27611f4.jpg I think this is a replacement since its not marked Ford.IMG_20220205_182150_8.jpg.ca0ef95bb7a6b51f157d6619812296dc.jpg Is there any brands that you readers would say is the better when it comes to durability ? This project starts to look like fixing something that did not need fixing :nabble_smiley_what:

Next will be cleaning surfaces, getting gaskets, seal, and new parts.

Hi.

Decided to pull the timing chain cover off. The crankshaft could be turned 6 degrees before the rotor moved.

Thats within normal ? When pulling off the harmonic balancer I managed to start splitting it in half. This is probably the old original. All bolts and the cover came easily off. What do you think about the deflection of the chain ? I think this is a replacement since its not marked Ford. Is there any brands that you readers would say is the better when it comes to durability ? This project starts to look like fixing something that did not need fixing :nabble_smiley_what:

First, you shouldn't pull a harmonic balancer that way. It will usually cause it to come apart.

Instead there's a harmonic balancer puller that screws into the tapped holes in the balancer and pushed against the end of the crankshaft. But when I searched just now for "harmonic balancer puller" I saw some Youtubes about getting them off w/o a special puller, so maybe you could look for those?

As for the slack, I don't think that is enough to worry about. If I remember correctly the factory shop manual says 1/2" is ok. So how much do you have?

As for brands, I like the Cloyes true roller timing chains.

Hi.

Thats within normal ? When pulling off the harmonic balancer I managed to start splitting it in half. This is probably the old original. All bolts and the cover came easily off. What do you think about the deflection of the chain ? I think this is a replacement since its not marked Ford. Is there any brands that you readers would say is the better when it comes to durability ? This project starts to look like fixing something that did not need fixing :nabble_smiley_what:

When I saw the first picture I was like NOOOOOOO :nabble_smiley_oh:

See the 4 bolt holes on the center section, that is were the puller bolts go to pull it off.

The puller has 3 fingers that the bolts go through and the screw in the center like you have.

Think I got mine from HF or was it one I had in my tool box?

https://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-62620.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=11852570863&campaignid=11852570863&utm_content=132226199429&adsetid=132226199429&product=62620&store=2970&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIubr6kdDp9QIVKhbUAR3bSgTAEAQYASABEgKScfD_BwE

Either way I had to find bolts to fit the balencer as the ones I had with my kit did not fit.

Also make sure you clean all the dirt out of the bolt holes before threading in the bolts.

Once I knew the thread pitch I ran a tap in the holes and used shop air to blow clean.

You also need an installer tool to put it back on DO NOT use the crank bolt to pull it in place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-12-pc-63068.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789281718&adsetid=117789281718&product=63068&store=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi67Pw9Dp9QIVU9yGCh0XVAj7EAQYASABEgId8PD_BwE

Took a little bit to figure out how it worked but it went on easier then coming off.

On the chain it dose look to be a replacement but being you are there and the play I would replace it.

My 300 six uses gears, no chain, so all I had to do was pull the cover to replace the timing cover gasket that was leaking oil out the top.

I have always used Cloyes chains when replacing was needed.

The only thing I can think to watch out for is if the chain for your year is set up as retard timing, think the 460's are this way dont know if the others are or not?

Dave ----

Yes, when I saw the pic I was thinking the same thing. :nabble_smiley_oh:

And I agree, while in there go ahead and replace it.

But I think it was the 351M/400's that had the horribly retarded cam. A guy I know with a stock 400 put a straight up timing chain on and was blown away with the difference it made.

See the 4 bolt holes on the center section, that is were the puller bolts go to pull it off.

The puller has 3 fingers that the bolts go through and the screw in the center like you have.

Think I got mine from HF or was it one I had in my tool box?

https://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-62620.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=11852570863&campaignid=11852570863&utm_content=132226199429&adsetid=132226199429&product=62620&store=2970&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIubr6kdDp9QIVKhbUAR3bSgTAEAQYASABEgKScfD_BwE

Either way I had to find bolts to fit the balencer as the ones I had with my kit did not fit.

Also make sure you clean all the dirt out of the bolt holes before threading in the bolts.

Once I knew the thread pitch I ran a tap in the holes and used shop air to blow clean.

You also need an installer tool to put it back on DO NOT use the crank bolt to pull it in place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-12-pc-63068.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789281718&adsetid=117789281718&product=63068&store=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi67Pw9Dp9QIVU9yGCh0XVAj7EAQYASABEgId8PD_BwE

Took a little bit to figure out how it worked but it went on easier then coming off.

On the chain it dose look to be a replacement but being you are there and the play I would replace it.

My 300 six uses gears, no chain, so all I had to do was pull the cover to replace the timing cover gasket that was leaking oil out the top.

I have always used Cloyes chains when replacing was needed.

The only thing I can think to watch out for is if the chain for your year is set up as retard timing, think the 460's are this way dont know if the others are or not?

Dave ----

I should type faster or shorter as Gary beat me to it :nabble_anim_handshake:

Get the right tools, the HF ones worked for me and still in good shape to use again.

Besides the puller can also be used on steering wheels when needed.

There was NO WAY my balencer was coming off with out the right puller :nabble_smiley_angry:

That is 2 for the Cloyes chains

Dave ----

I should type faster or shorter as Gary beat me to it :nabble_anim_handshake:

Get the right tools, the HF ones worked for me and still in good shape to use again.

Besides the puller can also be used on steering wheels when needed.

There was NO WAY my balencer was coming off with out the right puller :nabble_smiley_angry:

That is 2 for the Cloyes chains

Dave ----

Those bolts are 3/8-16. Clean with a tap or at least a spare bolt with a good slot cut in it