Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Stein. You're Bronco looks really great. Are you sure this video isn't from 1986? Im glad the repairs turned out so well. It runs like a sewing machine (very smooth). Congrats!

Hi.

In the last 2 weeks the weather has changed from this IMG_20220225_173531_6.jpg.f1a495b528d6b208c1cccf6921d532f4.jpg to IMG_20220313_190013_3.jpg.23b394b45d78f4fcaea50848171ad2a1.jpg So I had to let Eddie out.

Put in 6 new schocks IMG_20220226_135934_8.thumb.jpg.c346bf75e6dd1eb49e720683388bb75b.jpg since the not so old ones ( O.E Supreme ) came sluggishly and very slow back from compression. The KYB schocks responds quickly and uniformly back from compression. I could feel Eddie`s suspension work better with the KYBs. The new Motorcraft Coolant Temp. Sender put the needle in the gauge at the N. Future plans may be an AFR gauge, new steering box. Besides that I guess Eddie may have his own plans. Outdoor its 8C, 48F.

Looks like spring is coming.

Hi.

In the last 2 weeks the weather has changed from this to So I had to let Eddie out.

Put in 6 new schocks since the not so old ones ( O.E Supreme ) came sluggishly and very slow back from compression. The KYB schocks responds quickly and uniformly back from compression. I could feel Eddie`s suspension work better with the KYBs. The new Motorcraft Coolant Temp. Sender put the needle in the gauge at the N. Future plans may be an AFR gauge, new steering box. Besides that I guess Eddie may have his own plans. Outdoor its 8C, 48F.

Looks like spring is coming.

Excellent! I hope Eddie gets to make several trips this year. Looking forward to the pictures.

Excellent! I hope Eddie gets to make several trips this year. Looking forward to the pictures.

Hi.

Today I decided to mount my DAB radio adapter more properly than before. In Norway we don`t use the FM band any more. This DAB adapter takes down the digital radio signals and sends them out again in the FM band. So then I can listen to Eddies original radio. I put the USB connection for the DAB adapter under the dash. Connected to the white/purple wire that has power at Acce and Ignition. All the other thin wires are for the AEM 30-4110 AFR Gauge and the Glow Shift Transmission Oil Temp. Gauge. In the lower right hand corner you can see were the cables for these devices enter the cabin. Its a lot of wires.IMG_20220320_172833_0.jpg.76a29e54d7e5fbd62dfddd54a29fcbec.jpg Here is the AFR parts.IMG_20220320_132621_2.thumb.jpg.9d2546e4c1342bd2faa9cad051b553e8.jpg It is pretty straight forward to install it. But it is time consuming figuring out where to route and fasten it.IMG_20220320_201934_7.jpg.d2a7f17d72dfc4757babfc6cbdfad126.jpgIMG_20220320_201907_4.jpg.721c076c0163ab1a4842e34e2eb1ae16.jpgIMG_20220320_160344_9.jpg.b2e5fcf04a18d896877f2f8d8fbc67d3.jpgIMG_20220320_160409_9.jpg.e185f17d22bb54d3c9180684f9c5ed1c.jpg When I got higher up I wound the cable two times around the back of the brake booster before going through the firewall. Its a long cable.. After finishing the electric connections it looked like this.IMG_20220320_173401_8.jpg.1f0559fa46fe5792e02b8ad76188c9da.jpg The AFR read 12 at idle after a few minutes. When I hit the road it was indicating around 13 for a few minutes. Then it suddenly accelerated upwards and ended up with 3 red dots.IMG_20220320_181322_2.jpg.597af1ce232d5ae0c81b3094771a9fe9.jpg When I stop the engine and turns on the ignition the gauge shows me first all numbers ( 111, 222,333, etc ) , then REn, USI, P00. Then it races through the higher AFR numbers and ends up with the 3 red dots. Anybody exsperienced this ? I will check the sensor and its connector tomorrow I think :nabble_smiley_sad:

Hi.

Today I decided to mount my DAB radio adapter more properly than before. In Norway we don`t use the FM band any more. This DAB adapter takes down the digital radio signals and sends them out again in the FM band. So then I can listen to Eddies original radio. I put the USB connection for the DAB adapter under the dash. Connected to the white/purple wire that has power at Acce and Ignition. All the other thin wires are for the AEM 30-4110 AFR Gauge and the Glow Shift Transmission Oil Temp. Gauge. In the lower right hand corner you can see were the cables for these devices enter the cabin. Its a lot of wires. Here is the AFR parts. It is pretty straight forward to install it. But it is time consuming figuring out where to route and fasten it. When I got higher up I wound the cable two times around the back of the brake booster before going through the firewall. Its a long cable.. After finishing the electric connections it looked like this. The AFR read 12 at idle after a few minutes. When I hit the road it was indicating around 13 for a few minutes. Then it suddenly accelerated upwards and ended up with 3 red dots. When I stop the engine and turns on the ignition the gauge shows me first all numbers ( 111, 222,333, etc ) , then REn, USI, P00. Then it races through the higher AFR numbers and ends up with the 3 red dots. Anybody exsperienced this ? I will check the sensor and its connector tomorrow I think :nabble_smiley_sad:

Your AEM meter looks a lot like mine, but I've not seen that kind of response from it. Hopefully it is just a connection.

And yes, it is a long cable. I have wire running everywhere for that thing. But I hadn't thought about wrapping it around the brake booster - probably because I have a hydroboost unit and not the vacuum unit you have.

Your AEM meter looks a lot like mine, but I've not seen that kind of response from it. Hopefully it is just a connection.

And yes, it is a long cable. I have wire running everywhere for that thing. But I hadn't thought about wrapping it around the brake booster - probably because I have a hydroboost unit and not the vacuum unit you have.

I also have not had the 3 dots and hope just unplug and re-plug will fix it.

I would not wrap the extra wire around the booster bracket as it has a lot of sharp edges that could cut wires.

Because I have a 300 six the exh is only on the right side so the wire comes in on that side.

Once inside I coiled it up and tucked it behind the dash.

Dave ----

I also have not had the 3 dots and hope just unplug and re-plug will fix it.

I would not wrap the extra wire around the booster bracket as it has a lot of sharp edges that could cut wires.

Because I have a 300 six the exh is only on the right side so the wire comes in on that side.

Once inside I coiled it up and tucked it behind the dash.

Dave ----

Hi.

Glad you have not had problems. After checking the internet I worry the sensor is broken. The sensors seems to be very sensitiv in many ways. I have mounted it in a little pipe between the two exhaust pipes coming down from the exhaust manifolds. The boss for the sensor is there from Bassani. This evening I cleaned and reconnected the plug for the sensor. I also took the sensor out and nothing to see there.IMG_20220321_171514_4.thumb.jpg.e59929da10e426886142e700aac5af8f.jpgIMG_20220321_171423_7.thumb.jpg.e181dd19c45e80812a5c29c092c90974.jpgIMG_20220321_171243_6.jpg.bc89fb7b1f1c16b699931e843b90e1cc.jpg AEM says to use ONLY Bosch LSU4.9 sensors. The sensor in the pictures are the one from the kit. Can`t see its a Bosch.

When I turned on the ignition the Gauge went first through its rutine and showed me a reading of 14,2. But after a few seconds it ran up to and past 18. Then I got the red dots. So the fault is still there.

Sent a mail to the seller about this. Have to wait and see what he thinks.

Another thing. I rechecked Eddies timing today. He ran at 14 `BTD after getting the new timing chain. I adjusted it down to 9. The new balancer was very easy to read and the markings stood dead still when flashing.Not the slightest wandering back and fort. The result of a new timing chain I think.

Greetings Stein.

Hi.

Glad you have not had problems. After checking the internet I worry the sensor is broken. The sensors seems to be very sensitiv in many ways. I have mounted it in a little pipe between the two exhaust pipes coming down from the exhaust manifolds. The boss for the sensor is there from Bassani. This evening I cleaned and reconnected the plug for the sensor. I also took the sensor out and nothing to see there. AEM says to use ONLY Bosch LSU4.9 sensors. The sensor in the pictures are the one from the kit. Can`t see its a Bosch.

When I turned on the ignition the Gauge went first through its rutine and showed me a reading of 14,2. But after a few seconds it ran up to and past 18. Then I got the red dots. So the fault is still there.

Another thing. I rechecked Eddies timing today. He ran at 14 `BTD after getting the new timing chain. I adjusted it down to 9. The new balancer was very easy to read and the markings stood dead still when flashing.Not the slightest wandering back and fort. The result of a new timing chain I think.

Greetings Stein.

That’s a bummer on the sensor. But it does act like that is the problem.

But the steady timing is great. However, did you have pinging at 14 BTDC? If not, you might want to try dialing in a bit more timing to see what the engine will stand.

Hi.

Glad you have not had problems. After checking the internet I worry the sensor is broken. The sensors seems to be very sensitiv in many ways. I have mounted it in a little pipe between the two exhaust pipes coming down from the exhaust manifolds. The boss for the sensor is there from Bassani. This evening I cleaned and reconnected the plug for the sensor. I also took the sensor out and nothing to see there. AEM says to use ONLY Bosch LSU4.9 sensors. The sensor in the pictures are the one from the kit. Can`t see its a Bosch.

Greetings Stein.

The Bosch insignia is right below the 192 of the model number 1928 404 687

It's a graphic of an armature, I believe.

That’s a bummer on the sensor. But it does act like that is the problem.

But the steady timing is great. However, did you have pinging at 14 BTDC? If not, you might want to try dialing in a bit more timing to see what the engine will stand.

Hi.

Did not notice any pinging when at 14 btdc. You think there is a gain in performance / lower gas consumption with earlier timing ?

Stein