Bullnose Forums

GOOD GUY'S GARAGE

Ray Cecil

Ive got an uncle who is an electrician, he said he would help me get it wired up. So that is the next thing.

Are you going to wire in 220 volts for a welder? I did, and I also wired the 110v for a 20 amp outlet, not the standard 15 amp ones. More expensive but that's what the 110v welders use.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to wire in 220 volts for a welder? I did, and I also wired the 110v for a 20 amp outlet, not the standard 15 amp ones. More expensive but that's what the 110v welders use.

I was just looking at air compressors and 110v welders to spec out the system.

I do not have 220 run to the building yet, but I will run a 220 future.

Electricity is not my forte, I design mechanical, pneumatics and hydraulics, but the electrical stuff I always hand off to someone in the trade. Dont know why, but ive always been confused by it, like I have a stupid spot in my head where all electrical knowledge goes to die.

I was just looking at air compressors and 110v welders to spec out the system.

I do not have 220 run to the building yet, but I will run a 220 future.

Electricity is not my forte, I design mechanical, pneumatics and hydraulics, but the electrical stuff I always hand off to someone in the trade. Dont know why, but ive always been confused by it, like I have a stupid spot in my head where all electrical knowledge goes to die.

Good air compressors are also 220v

When I first moved in to this house in NC my garage only had 2 8' lights so it needed more and no power for my compressor.

New power line was run having 220v for the compressor. It has a plug so if I ever get a 220v welder, my MIG is 110v, I can just unplug the compressor and have 220v in my garage.

If I had the room I could run an electric stove / oven.

Dave ----

Good air compressors are also 220v

When I first moved in to this house in NC my garage only had 2 8' lights so it needed more and no power for my compressor.

New power line was run having 220v for the compressor. It has a plug so if I ever get a 220v welder, my MIG is 110v, I can just unplug the compressor and have 220v in my garage.

If I had the room I could run an electric stove / oven.

Dave ----

Im also looking at other equipment that will use 220. Like an oven for powder coat curing.

That was a good idea Gary. I had to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit/receptacle for my Lincoln welder. You can never have too many outlets in a garage. They always get used. My garage is fairly well equipped with outlets, and I use all of them all the time. The other than that you cannot have too much of is lights.

That was a good idea Gary. I had to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit/receptacle for my Lincoln welder. You can never have too many outlets in a garage. They always get used. My garage is fairly well equipped with outlets, and I use all of them all the time. The other than that you cannot have too much of is lights.

There was a blowout sale at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago on their HyperTough 4' LED shoplights for $12.

Not the 5,000 lumen bronze ones with a pull chain, the 3,200 lumen plug in white ones.

I picked up eight for my buddy's garage.

That's two per bay, and easily enough to see.

WAY better than the buzzing fluorescent ones that take FOREVER to come on in the cold.

Less wattage used, and no bulbs to break or replace.

There was a blowout sale at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago on their HyperTough 4' LED shoplights for $12.

Not the 5,000 lumen bronze ones with a pull chain, the 3,200 lumen plug in white ones.

I picked up eight for my buddy's garage.

That's two per bay, and easily enough to see.

WAY better than the buzzing fluorescent ones that take FOREVER to come on in the cold.

Less wattage used, and no bulbs to break or replace.

Jim, already have 8 of those. I will need more, but I got them at rural king. Yes, they are much better.