Bullnose Forums

water pump

Can't speak for the 300 6 but I installed a GMB pump on my 351 W this past Summer and was very impressed in it. I bought it through RockAuto.

Here's GMB's version for a 300 6: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8144864&cc=1121432&jsn=924

They also have a Motorcraft unit:https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=609499&cc=1121432&jsn=933&jsn=933

Be advised I've heard stories about problems with returns to RockAuto. I've never had a problem, but then I've never had to return anything. My decision to purchase my pump through RockAuto is because I've had horrible luck with AutoZone and O'Reilly's stuff. Just yesterday noted that the rebuilt power steering pump that I bought from O'Reilly's and put on this past Summer is leaking.

I have used AutoZone Duralast pumps on Darth since not long after I bought him. It was after Matt brought me a nice one over from Precision Certi-Pro and we found the hub was installed backwards and I needed one then, not a week later. We went to AutoZone and I bought one of their new lifetime warranty pumps, which lasted 11 or 12 years then the shaft broke. I did find out in researching things that Ford increased the shaft and bearing size in 1993 and then made another change in 1994 that ran through 1997. Apparently the polygroove belts put a greater bearing load on the pump than the V-belts do.

Thankfully AutoZone's computer system has the records so I was able to get a replacement here and not have to go to Newport News.

I have used AutoZone Duralast pumps on Darth since not long after I bought him. It was after Matt brought me a nice one over from Precision Certi-Pro and we found the hub was installed backwards and I needed one then, not a week later. We went to AutoZone and I bought one of their new lifetime warranty pumps, which lasted 11 or 12 years then the shaft broke. I did find out in researching things that Ford increased the shaft and bearing size in 1993 and then made another change in 1994 that ran through 1997. Apparently the polygroove belts put a greater bearing load on the pump than the V-belts do.

Thankfully AutoZone's computer system has the records so I was able to get a replacement here and not have to go to Newport News.

Bill, I guess it's just hit and miss. Does anyone know if the company's that rebuild parts for both O'Rielly's and AZ are the same?