Bullnose Forums

PMGR Starter Trigger Wire Size

Rembrant

Cause, I needed that real estate between the Jack and battery for my PDC anyhow.

Why not just use one of those relays to drive my starter?

All the wires were already there.

Ok for you I can see that but I don't think Cory and maybe others that go with a PMGR starter would have a PDC with relays over in that area :nabble_smiley_beam:

Dave ----

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok for you I can see that but I don't think Cory and maybe others that go with a PMGR starter would have a PDC with relays over in that area :nabble_smiley_beam:

Dave ----

Dave - That's why our page at Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring just shows how to use the existing fender-mounted starter relay. But some of us have gone to the PDB's and a cube relay, which also works.

mini-starter-wiring_orig.jpg.45a95d6e890c64f2cb29e46444550fb2.jpg

Dave - That's why our page at Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring just shows how to use the existing fender-mounted starter relay. But some of us have gone to the PDB's and a cube relay, which also works.

Works great!

And is a lot less work. 😉

If you can lay your hands on the Y-shaped cable from a mid '90's truck it's even better (and easier)

Works great!

And is a lot less work. 😉

If you can lay your hands on the Y-shaped cable from a mid '90's truck it's even better (and easier)

Cory wanted to know what size wire for the trigger but it sounded like he was going to remove the factory solenoid and run the cable & start trigger wires to the starter or did I read it wrong :nabble_anim_confused:

That is why I said what I did on the wiring like the 2nd image that Gary posted.

I was told to use a 10ga wire on the race car but I cant see why he could not use something smaller like the factory used?

Dave ----

Cory wanted to know what size wire for the trigger but it sounded like he was going to remove the factory solenoid and run the cable & start trigger wires to the starter or did I read it wrong :nabble_anim_confused:

That is why I said what I did on the wiring like the 2nd image that Gary posted.

I was told to use a 10ga wire on the race car but I cant see why he could not use something smaller like the factory used?

Dave ----

Well..... He ain't gonna get 40A through the ignition switch no matter whether he uses the stock 18Ga. trigger wire, or a 10Ga. wire.

That is why a PMGR needs another relay (or a giant Frankenstein blade switch in the cab)

Well..... He ain't gonna get 40A through the ignition switch no matter whether he uses the stock 18Ga. trigger wire, or a 10Ga. wire.

That is why a PMGR needs another relay (or a giant young Frankenstein blade switch in the cab)

Fixed it for you. Frau Blucher!

N n n n nnnn neigh!

Dave,

I'm leaving the original Bullnose solenoid/relay mounted on the fender, and simply running a trigger wire from it. My main reason for asking about the #10 wire was because I have a big roll of 600v TEW #14 wire on hand. I was just curious if the #10 was overkill or not. I'm going to try the #14 regardless, and check the amps on it out of curiosity.

The reason for the 600v is that is our commercial/industrial voltage here in Canada (In these parts). I think the common voltage in the USA is 460v? I know whenever we order equipment from the US, we have to specify 575-600v.

Dave,

I'm leaving the original Bullnose solenoid/relay mounted on the fender, and simply running a trigger wire from it. My main reason for asking about the #10 wire was because I have a big roll of 600v TEW #14 wire on hand. I was just curious if the #10 was overkill or not. I'm going to try the #14 regardless, and check the amps on it out of curiosity.

The reason for the 600v is that is our commercial/industrial voltage here in Canada (In these parts). I think the common voltage in the USA is 460v? I know whenever we order equipment from the US, we have to specify 575-600v.

Yep.

Three phase comes in a couple of different flavours.

I had 400A of 440 RMS at my last shop.

If you can just grab a cable for a '95ish truck it is 'all in one'