Bullnose Forums

PMGR Starter Trigger Wire Size

Rembrant

Try Documentation/Engines/Starters for the info on your DB starter. But there's also the page at Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring. And that's the page where it says to use #10 wiring as the starter trigger wire. Looks like we need some re-organization, revisions, etc.

It's another one of those dropdowns I can't access on a touchscreen... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the 'upgrades' page, to post the Datasheet but Gary must have it somewhere else.... :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I've now got my starter solenoid wired through a 40A cube relay in my new 6 position power distribution box.

Jim, and others, FWIW, our 1990 Town Car (the one that first gave me the idea of putting them on the 300, 302 and 351W) had a regular Bosch relay for the PMGR starter. Chrysler also uses a very similar starter and later models use the same Bosch relay to connect to it. They use a 14ga wire to the starter from the relay.

Jim, and others, FWIW, our 1990 Town Car (the one that first gave me the idea of putting them on the 300, 302 and 351W) had a regular Bosch relay for the PMGR starter. Chrysler also uses a very similar starter and later models use the same Bosch relay to connect to it. They use a 14ga wire to the starter from the relay.

Yep, a regular 'Bosch style' cube relay, just the 40A version as supplied with the E-series Ford blower relay kit as sold by U-techcenter.

Good! I need to spend some time going back over the web site and fixing all of those pages that have others below them. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I got to ask why wire in a cube relay when the 80 truck came with one on the fender already :nabble_anim_confused:

Move the large cable from the out put of the "fender relay" to the same side as the battery cable is on and the other end of the cable goes to the starter large lug.

Now take that 10 ga wire and put it on the out let side of the fender relay and run it down to the small trigger lug on the starter.

The fender relay should still have the trucks trigger wire on the "S" lug.

When you go to start the truck the fender relay will close sending power down the 10 ga wire to trigger the starter.

My drag car is set up this way and works great.

Beside you could use a cheap fender relay as not much amps are going through it.

Dave ----

I got to ask why wire in a cube relay when the 80 truck came with one on the fender already :nabble_anim_confused:

Move the large cable from the out put of the "fender relay" to the same side as the battery cable is on and the other end of the cable goes to the starter large lug.

Now take that 10 ga wire and put it on the out let side of the fender relay and run it down to the small trigger lug on the starter.

The fender relay should still have the trucks trigger wire on the "S" lug.

When you go to start the truck the fender relay will close sending power down the 10 ga wire to trigger the starter.

My drag car is set up this way and works great.

Beside you could use a cheap fender relay as not much amps are going through it.

Dave ----

Cause, I needed that real estate between the Jack and battery for my PDC anyhow.

Why not just use one of those relays to drive my starter?

All the wires were already there.