Bullnose Forums

1986 F-150 XLT "Ellie"

Wesley

Starting a thread to detail progress fixing up my truck.

A little history: Bought in 2008, drove it until 2010 or so. Had to park it when I started college, but kept it running until around 2015. Had it towed to my mechanic a couple weeks ago and asked them to get it turning over and safe to make it a few miles home. Will post a few more pictures when I finish cleaning it up.

Just serviced:

Fuel injectors

Fuel lines

Fuel tank, forward

Master cylinder

Brake lines

Tires

To do soon:

Replace some light bulbs

V belts

Radiator hoses

Heater hoses

Diagnose high/oscillating idle

To do eventually:

Deal with cab rust

Repaint

Work on interior

IMG_0969.jpg.efb8de3fc7bc4bdcffeb4ecfd9f94b4c.jpg

I call "shotgun" for this ride. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If you've had that much done to it then it should be about to turn the corner to reliability. But the idle issue could be a problem. Sometimes those are tricky to diagnose.

Props to you for keeping it all this time! I bought a truck in 2008 as well, but unfortunately lost interest briefly, and made the decision to sell it in 2017. There will always be a part of me that wishes I had tried a little harder to regain interest.

I hope you'll stick around and keep us updated on the truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

I call "shotgun" for this ride. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If you've had that much done to it then it should be about to turn the corner to reliability. But the idle issue could be a problem. Sometimes those are tricky to diagnose.

Thanks!

And as for the idle, it's not a problem I recall having before. It runs high for a minute after starting, then when it tries to find normal idle, it falls and then revs back up again. I don't have a tachometer so I can't give numbers. Would welcome suggestions! Wondering about the IAC or the vacuum lines.

Thanks!

And as for the idle, it's not a problem I recall having before. It runs high for a minute after starting, then when it tries to find normal idle, it falls and then revs back up again. I don't have a tachometer so I can't give numbers. Would welcome suggestions! Wondering about the IAC or the vacuum lines.

IAC, or the MAP sensor by the starter relay.

But does it always hunt at idle, or only when cold?

Pulled error codes today and got:

The last one is strange (idle out of range - low) because I'd swear by the sound of it the idle is too high. 41 indicates the engine is running lean. And 34 indicates something wrong with the EGR circuit/sensor or the EVAP control system. Plan to test the EGR valve and vacuum lines to see if I can find the issue.

Pulled error codes today and got:

The last one is strange (idle out of range - low) because I'd swear by the sound of it the idle is too high. 41 indicates the engine is running lean. And 34 indicates something wrong with the EGR circuit/sensor or the EVAP control system. Plan to test the EGR valve and vacuum lines to see if I can find the issue.

Let me tell you something about OBD1 codes.

There's a hierarchy to them

Always start with the lowest number first.

They are set up so lower numbers are often the root cause of higher error codes.

And I would think that your truck thinks the rpm's are too low, and that's why the IAC has it revving high.

Resolve that.

Reset and check later for codes.

They may very well not come back.

Let me tell you something about OBD1 codes.

There's a hierarchy to them

Always start with the lowest number first.

They are set up so lower numbers are often the root cause of higher error codes.

And I would think that your truck thinks the rpm's are too low, and that's why the IAC has it revving high.

Resolve that.

Reset and check later for codes.

They may very well not come back.

If you have an evap code it may well be a vacuum leak.

But I think you should check into why you're getting a code for 'idle too low' when it's really too high.

If you have an evap code it may well be a vacuum leak.

But I think you should check into why you're getting a code for 'idle too low' when it's really too high.

Would a TPS out of adjustment cause this?

Wait maybe not as it would be reading the RPM from the IGN system right?

Never mind me I don't know what I talk about :nabble_smiley_blush:

That is why my truck dose not have a computer, I make all the adjustments.

Dave ----