Bullnose Forums

Chanute - 1980 F350 Cab & Chassis

kramttocs

IMG_20201107_162346.jpg.16c37c21aaf06f7a2515c52beac7a550.jpg

Figure it's about time I start a thread to keep track of this truck.

Bought in early 2018

1980 F350 2wd Cab & Chassis. 400 with the 4spd. Gin pole flatbed. Was an oil field truck in KS.

Front clip was swapped out at some point.

It had a lot of extra wiring, a/c air compressor, dealer ac, aux battery setup, etc that I stripped out to keep this truck as simple as possible. It's not much to look at but fires up every time and runs down the highway great. It's definitely a 55mph truck though. With a bare metal floor, only a handful of dried out window channel run pieces (lose a couple more every time I shut the door) and 4.10s there's no point trying to talk when going 65 :nabble_smiley_music:

I was going to fix up the cab but have long since decided to just use it up and if the need arises, swap cabs. So right now (thanks to the previous owners) it's a mix of red, green, black, and silver. As much as I like the early Aztec-like design of the green seat, peeling myself off the duct tape in the summer got old fast so it now has a 90's bench in it....that could stand some duct tape itself.

IMG_20180407_175533.jpg.d11a7771355e33e1f8a8dc29d3754080.jpg

The gin pole was one of the main reasons I bought it since I was fencing a field that summer and don't have a front end loader at my place. Added a receiver hitch to the bed to accept my winch cradle and it made setting hedge posts an easy one man job.

IMG_20180526_192735.jpg.d6e4d0db623aa7e36e7070717a540142.jpg

The only plan for this truck right now is the GVOD although the cold weather has put that on hold. Will document those changes whenever they may happen...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine in your part of the country it's Osage.

Prior to steel wire those tough and thorny trees were used as wind brakes between fields and to contain livestock

Hedges were not too ornamental back then.

I wondered if that might be it. I've hunted in a million miles of that hedge for quail, dove, and rabbit. And I've thrown a few of the hedge apples. Man, do they hurt when you get hit with one!

I imagine in your part of the country it's Osage.

Prior to steel wire those tough and thorny trees were used as wind brakes between fields and to contain livestock

Hedges were not too ornamental back then.

Yep, same thing as Osage orange.

I know what you mean Gary - during the winter, when layered and in coveralls my sisters and I would play "catch" :nabble_smiley_wink: Of course, we were also convinced hedge apples were where Elmer's glue came from...

Most, us included, have switched to steel pipe instead of hedge but I prefer the look of hedge and this wasn't a very big field.

Yep, same thing as Osage orange.

I know what you mean Gary - during the winter, when layered and in coveralls my sisters and I would play "catch" :nabble_smiley_wink: Of course, we were also convinced hedge apples were where Elmer's glue came from...

Most, us included, have switched to steel pipe instead of hedge but I prefer the look of hedge and this wasn't a very big field.

We weren't in layers. We were Boy Scouts on a campout in the fall in shirts and jeans. Somehow we got in a hedge apple fight. I remember taking a direct hit in the chest, and it almost knocked me down. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, those posts will last a long, long time!