Bullnose Forums

Radiator core support removal.

Getting ready to pull the engine from

my 84 F150. Thinking about pulling core support and bring engine straight thru the front. My queston is can you pull the support with out pulling the bumper. Looks like i can remove complete grill assembly, unbolt upper fender bolts and pull support foward to remove. Is this possible?

Looks like you could almost do it without removing the hood if you can rig the engine hoist short enough.

Maybe so, but the hood is pretty easy to remove. I'd take it off if it were me. Even by yourself, just stack up some towels under each corner so that it doesn't scratch the paint, and then you can lift it off and set it on or in the bed.

Looks like you could almost do it without removing the hood if you can rig the engine hoist short enough.

I haven't been able to do it w/o at least tilting the hood back by removing the "link", the front piece with the coil spring on it. That will let the hood go back some. But be careful because the hood can hit the cowl. DAHIK. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Removing the core support makes it much easier :nabble_smiley_good:

I removed the hood but I don't think I would have hit it. I used a carb lift plate and put the hoist hook directly in one of the holes so it was as short as one could get. Pulled and installed a 460/C6 combo like this. Pulled it fully dressed with the cast intake. Installed with the aluminum intake without accessories.

Removing the core support makes it much easier :nabble_smiley_good:

I removed the hood but I don't think I would have hit it. I used a carb lift plate and put the hoist hook directly in one of the holes so it was as short as one could get. Pulled and installed a 460/C6 combo like this. Pulled it fully dressed with the cast intake. Installed with the aluminum intake without accessories.

Just don't try to drive the bolts of of the body insulators! The nuts come off the top to remove the core support, but the bolts stay in the frame for alignment. They're threaded into the insulators.

They're threaded into the insulators.

Fused is more like it :nabble_smiley_wink:

I destroyed one of mine taking it out so when reinstalling it from a parts truck I was liberal with the anti-seize and then packed the "funnel" with grease.

But you are absolutely right - remove the nuts but leave the bolts alone unless replacing insulators.

They're threaded into the insulators.

Fused is more like it :nabble_smiley_wink:

I destroyed one of mine taking it out so when reinstalling it from a parts truck I was liberal with the anti-seize and then packed the "funnel" with grease.

But you are absolutely right - remove the nuts but leave the bolts alone unless replacing insulators.

X2, good advice! :nabble_smiley_good:

Of course my truck was ready for frame savers so it was easier to just lift the bolts out with the radiator support and work where I had better access.

I didn't know frame savers existed back then, and made my own with a die grinder and file from some honking big washers.