Bullnose Forums

Greetings From North Carolina!!

Maybe, but my truck has over 450,000 hard miles on it and my firewall isn't torn or popping, so I wouldn't strip the cab on both sides to install the huge plate of I didn't have to. 💡

I agree but if the column, pedal box, and clutch mc will all be out, there's not much more removal needed that I know of. Maybe just the cowl? Which saying just the cowl is a bit of an oversimplification if it has a new/nice paint job. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I've not personally installed one of the big ones and have only removed the small ones so maybe I am overlooking something?

Bulletin No.: 90-16-7

E3TZ-7K509-A (small)

E3TZ-7K509-B (large)

She was originally manual. 3 on the tree, only later was it converted to an automatic. This also means that the driveshaft was shortened to accommodate the larger size of auto transmission. Does this make a difference?

The M5R2 is longer than the Zf-5 behind my 460, but since Cory has your combo I'll leave it to him.

I don't know so much about Windsor drivetrains.

I agree but if the column, pedal box, and clutch mc will all be out, there's not much more removal needed that I know of. Maybe just the cowl? Which saying just the cowl is a bit of an oversimplification if it has a new/nice paint job. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I've not personally installed one of the big ones and have only removed the small ones so maybe I am overlooking something?

Bulletin No.: 90-16-7

E3TZ-7K509-A (small)

E3TZ-7K509-B (large)

I think there's an xxTZ-7K509-A (small) as well.

I think when the master cylinder went to diagonal studs and the safety switch mounted concentric to the pushrod????

Maybe, but my truck has over 450,000 hard miles on it and my firewall isn't torn or popping, so I wouldn't strip the cab on both sides to install the huge plate of I didn't have to. 💡

In 2020, it's kind of a moot point as the large brace is the only one that is readily available, so that is what most people are going to use. The parts that need to be removed to install it are not really an issue...it's only the steering column and the cowl panel, nothing else. The issue (imho) is the fitment of the brace itself as they will not always fit the angles of the cab nicely. I had to cut mine and weld it back together.

With the 5spd swap in my 1980, I'm going to make my own brace that will be a hybrid of the two. It will be larger than the small brace, but smaller than the larger one. The cowl will still have to be removed, but not the steering column. The firewall in this truck is already cracked/rusted.

In 2020, it's kind of a moot point as the large brace is the only one that is readily available, so that is what most people are going to use. The parts that need to be removed to install it are not really an issue...it's only the steering column and the cowl panel, nothing else. The issue (imho) is the fitment of the brace itself as they will not always fit the angles of the cab nicely. I had to cut mine and weld it back together.

With the 5spd swap in my 1980, I'm going to make my own brace that will be a hybrid of the two. It will be larger than the small brace, but smaller than the larger one. The cowl will still have to be removed, but not the steering column. The firewall in this truck is already cracked/rusted.

Making your own is better than a 2x4 wedged between the firewall and radiator support!

(Yes, you do what you have to do, sometimes....

She was originally manual. 3 on the tree, only later was it converted to an automatic. This also means that the driveshaft was shortened to accommodate the larger size of auto transmission. Does this make a difference?

Jaci,

The 3-on-the-tree would certainly be at home on a stripped down '81 with manual brakes. Surprisingly, the driveshaft and slip yoke that was behind the 3-on-the-tree actually fits directly into the M5OD transmission without modifications. But, since your driveshaft was shortened I guess the two options are to modify the shaft again (lengthen it?) or, get a correct shaft from a 1988-1996 F150 4x2.

My 1984 was a 3-on-the-tree truck, and it now has an M5OD 5spd, so I have done this exact swap.

Jaci,

The 3-on-the-tree would certainly be at home on a stripped down '81 with manual brakes. Surprisingly, the driveshaft and slip yoke that was behind the 3-on-the-tree actually fits directly into the M5OD transmission without modifications. But, since your driveshaft was shortened I guess the two options are to modify the shaft again (lengthen it?) or, get a correct shaft from a 1988-1996 F150 4x2.

My 1984 was a 3-on-the-tree truck, and it now has an M5OD 5spd, so I have done this exact swap.

Nice project, I have checked out your project thread also.

The truck yard I think Jim talked about is in Siler City right on 64, I go by it time to time for work but with a 18 wheeler and no where to park I cant stop in :nabble_smiley_sad:

So where in NC are you?

I am about 30 mins from Raleigh, Benson / Angier line.

From another Ford truck site there are a few of us truck owners in the state.

Dave ----

Nice project, I have checked out your project thread also.

The truck yard I think Jim talked about is in Siler City right on 64, I go by it time to time for work but with a 18 wheeler and no where to park I cant stop in :nabble_smiley_sad:

So where in NC are you?

I am about 30 mins from Raleigh, Benson / Angier line.

From another Ford truck site there are a few of us truck owners in the state.

Dave ----

Dave- I am about an hour south of Raleigh, Pinehurst area. I assume that you are talking about Marsh Auto Salvage in Siler city, and they have been my go to yard whenever possible.

Dave- I am about an hour south of Raleigh, Pinehurst area. I assume that you are talking about Marsh Auto Salvage in Siler city, and they have been my go to yard whenever possible.

I think that is the place.

Someone told me of a yard, think it was a little south of Sanford but was not told the name.

Pinehurst is not that far from Sanford so the yard may be close to you.

Dave ----

Im thinking about the truck yard on Snow Camp Rd.

It's about a mile north of my brothers hobby farm.