Bullnose Forums

Project Ferdinand

nlongo33

galaxy not fairlane....1968 one year only body style...i have all paper work from original sale all the way through the present, car was originally purchased in oxford Mississippi by the good reverend, was the churches car for a long time.....purchase price 1968 $4,250

Oh, OK. My mistake, looking at it again I could see the resemblance to the 1967 Galaxies in the profile. The grill and front threw me off. Growing up my dad had a '67 Custom with a 289 and later on a '67 LTD with a 390.

Oh, OK. My mistake, looking at it again I could see the resemblance to the 1967 Galaxies in the profile. The grill and front threw me off. Growing up my dad had a '67 Custom with a 289 and later on a '67 LTD with a 390.

Cool, mine is originally a 390 car but now has a 428

Cool, mine is originally a 390 car but now has a 428

My father was a Country Squire guy! As far back as I can remember, our first car was a 57 Ford Country Squire.....Red/white with gold trim, I think. We moved from California to Louisiana in that car. That would have been in 1968. I don't know how many miles he put on it but it was a lot. I think he gave it to one of my cousins, replacing it with a 66 Ford Country Squire Station Wagoner. As he was military, we moved a lot back in those days and it was fun seeing the country from the back seat of that old wagon. The car was a dark green with the faux wood siding, beautiful car back in those days. It was also a 390 car and another very reliable automobile. It's no wonder I have blue ovals running through my veins. I got my driver's license in that car. He gave that one away too.

My father was a Country Squire guy! As far back as I can remember, our first car was a 57 Ford Country Squire.....Red/white with gold trim, I think. We moved from California to Louisiana in that car. That would have been in 1968. I don't know how many miles he put on it but it was a lot. I think he gave it to one of my cousins, replacing it with a 66 Ford Country Squire Station Wagoner. As he was military, we moved a lot back in those days and it was fun seeing the country from the back seat of that old wagon. The car was a dark green with the faux wood siding, beautiful car back in those days. It was also a 390 car and another very reliable automobile. It's no wonder I have blue ovals running through my veins. I got my driver's license in that car. He gave that one away too.

Nice job so far on the project.

I learned everything body work wise from my dad before I started high school and went to a tech high school to learn the other side of fixing cars.

There was only 2 cars of mine I did body work and painted that he saw. I wished he could see in person the truck all done but I know he is looking down on us and sees it.

BTW what is all this talk of wood for :nabble_anim_confused: I thought flare side came with metal ribbed floors :nabble_smiley_evil:

20190920_143951.jpg.440845ae6e1d9e3b0d96cb04c77a18cc.jpg

And dual fuel tanks

20190920_144039.jpg.29c766ac3c464739a5736757c9aff6e4.jpg

Dave ----

Nice job so far on the project.

I learned everything body work wise from my dad before I started high school and went to a tech high school to learn the other side of fixing cars.

There was only 2 cars of mine I did body work and painted that he saw. I wished he could see in person the truck all done but I know he is looking down on us and sees it.

BTW what is all this talk of wood for :nabble_anim_confused: I thought flare side came with metal ribbed floors :nabble_smiley_evil:

And dual fuel tanks

Dave ----

looks good ...questions and updated pictures tomorrow

Quiet weekend, a lot of little stuff got done: cleaned up more wiring, tune up, start to clean up engine bay, blue tooth radio and new speakers all around. Onto the pictures

Question for the experts...

what to do with that MOTORCRAFT Variable Venturi Carburetor.....Information seems all over the board on what to do with these....everything from junk them with no real solid advice on to what to replace it with all the way to rebuild with mixed results....one thing for sure is the carb needs to be addressed.....

as always thanks

what to do with that MOTORCRAFT Variable Venturi Carburetor.....Information seems all over the board on what to do with these....everything from junk them with no real solid advice on to what to replace it with all the way to rebuild with mixed results....one thing for sure is the carb needs to be addressed.....

as always thanks

Most of us would advise getting an appropriate venturi 2150 and do away with the VV.

Fonzie (Rick) will disagree, and he will probably be along to tout them.

But, in the end, it's your choice if you want to struggle with it or move on.

Another option is to get a 4V intake and a small 4-barrel.

395's and 435's are popular choices but not common to find.

as always thanks

Good progress! And, as Jim says, progress is good. :nabble_smiley_good:

Speaking of Jim, I agree on the carb. I'd go with a 2150 if you aren't changing anything else, like cam, intake, etc. But Holley made a carb specifically to replace the VV since so many people wanted them gone.

We have the factory shop manual section as well as info on the Holley carb on the page at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Motorcraft 7200 VV.

I believe the VV is a good carb, but is not well understood. However, I've never run one nor tuned one, so what do I know? Bill Vose/85lebaront2 is the one to ask about that.