Bullnose Forums

Nutsert Or Rivnut Installation

Gary Lewis

What about applying a bit of panel adhesive around the flange before inserting it?

I'm just going to avoid using them.

When the metal is torn all around, a tee-nut welded in upside down makes a solid connection.

If the screw is seized into a riv-nut it is just as likely to tear out as spin.

I've got VERY little patience for playing around with that sort of thing.

Just like when I told Gary I would simply Velcro that tray to the back of the cab.

If I want bracket making and workarounds ill go rewatch Project Binky on YouTube.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just going to avoid using them.

When the metal is torn all around, a tee-nut welded in upside down makes a solid connection.

If the screw is seized into a riv-nut it is just as likely to tear out as spin.

I've got VERY little patience for playing around with that sort of thing.

Just like when I told Gary I would simply Velcro that tray to the back of the cab.

If I want bracket making and workarounds ill go rewatch Project Binky on YouTube.

Gary has a layer of sound deadening and foam across the back wall, so Velcro isn't going to work. And I don't want to pull the foam. So I'm looking at alternatives. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bill - Pull straps/handles is one reason I got an assortment as I hope to put handles on the A-pillar and will want to bury nutserts there.

I thought about going metric, but most of my "stock" of fasteners is SAE so went that way. I think I have some flanged button-head 1/4-20 screws that are long enough to do this job, and I know I have 1/4" fender washers to put under them. So that's the plan, Stan.

How do you "set" your nutserts?

There is a tool that looks like a pop rivet tool, only bigger that has mandrels for the nutserts. The mendrels are threaded 14-20LH on the tool end and whatever thread you are using on the insert end. There is a travel stop (adjustable) to get the exact compression without stripping or under crimping.

I went with the metric as most of the body pieces on the konvertible are metric. Had a nice surprise the other day, was looking at the door strikers and trying to figure a way to repair them like you can do on a Ford. Found they are still available new, they were updated in 1998 for the minivans. If I could reach the inner ends, the updated ones had a 5/16 - or 8mm hex so they can be mostly tightened with the door shut.

There is a tool that looks like a pop rivet tool, only bigger that has mandrels for the nutserts. The mendrels are threaded 14-20LH on the tool end and whatever thread you are using on the insert end. There is a travel stop (adjustable) to get the exact compression without stripping or under crimping.

I went with the metric as most of the body pieces on the konvertible are metric. Had a nice surprise the other day, was looking at the door strikers and trying to figure a way to repair them like you can do on a Ford. Found they are still available new, they were updated in 1998 for the minivans. If I could reach the inner ends, the updated ones had a 5/16 - or 8mm hex so they can be mostly tightened with the door shut.

The proper way to install a rivnut: :nabble_smiley_evil:

Welded_Nutsert.thumb.jpg.95abee57a0f4223aca78b4618265443e.jpg

Of course, this is after you spend an hour cutting the head off the bolt with a Dremel, one little bit at a time 'cause the thing that's being held in is plastic. And, because you can't get on it from above, only the side.

Anyone want a 140-3=137 piece nutsert set?

I WAS WRONG! Y'ALL WERE RIGHT. :nabble_smiley_cry: :nabble_smiley_blush:

The proper way to install a rivnut: :nabble_smiley_evil:

Of course, this is after you spend an hour cutting the head off the bolt with a Dremel, one little bit at a time 'cause the thing that's being held in is plastic. And, because you can't get on it from above, only the side.

Anyone want a 140-3=137 piece nutsert set?

I WAS WRONG! Y'ALL WERE RIGHT. :nabble_smiley_cry: :nabble_smiley_blush:

I am not sure if you can get to the back side, but here is another option.

https://www.clickbond.com/

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/clickbondstuds.php

Just another old aircraft mechanic that really hates rivnuts.

Jim

I am not sure if you can get to the back side, but here is another option.

https://www.clickbond.com/

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/clickbondstuds.php

Just another old aircraft mechanic that really hates rivnuts.

Jim

Jim - I wish I could get to the back, but I can't easily. However, thinking about it, I could have reached in where the grommets are and reached in there to some extent. But I doubt I would have been able to reach the one I put in the center.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I wish I could get to the back, but I can't easily. However, thinking about it, I could have reached in where the grommets are and reached in there to some extent. But I doubt I would have been able to reach the one I put in the center.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :nabble_smiley_good:

The mirrors I got from LMC used the bolt & nut to set them in the doors.

I was able to use them on the lower bracket mounting bolts but not at the top.

The tops had a backer plate that was tapped for the bolts but the PO's striped them out.

I was able to get longer bolts with the right head and after starting the bolts was able to get lock nuts on them.

That was a show with the glass installed and getting tools on the nuts :nabble_smiley_angry:

Dave ----

The mirrors I got from LMC used the bolt & nut to set them in the doors.

I was able to use them on the lower bracket mounting bolts but not at the top.

The tops had a backer plate that was tapped for the bolts but the PO's striped them out.

I was able to get longer bolts with the right head and after starting the bolts was able to get lock nuts on them.

That was a show with the glass installed and getting tools on the nuts :nabble_smiley_angry:

Dave ----

Sometimes you just have to get creative with a torch and grinder to get the wrench to fit.

I know I have a bunch of misshapen lumps in my 'special tools' drawer.

(One good thing about Craftsman selling open stock at Lowe's)