Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Gary, thank you!! That is a well written guide and I will print out the pdf tonight.

I have sylvania H6054 basic sealed halogen lights in my truck so I will try and compare the two out of interest. I may not be able to get 25ft distance to my RV door in a straight line, due a tree! I will measure later.

I would think you could interpolate. So if you can't get 25' but can get 20' just use 20/25 = .8 times the specified drop below horizontal.

Do you know the wattage of the bulbs?

They're probably called "racing" because they're non-compliant, and can't be promoted for street use.

Does look good! :nabble_smiley_good:

If the ground is completely flat and level I would drive straight at/up to the door and make a cross with masking tape at the hot center of each beam.

Then back straight up at least 50' and see where they pattern on both high and low.

I do believe Gary has links to Daniel Stern's pages where he outlines all the proper alignment procedures.

They're 60/55W, I'm looking at the same ones, they claim +150%... Or the 'Xtreme Vision +130%'. I believe they are perfectly legal. So is 9003 and H4 the same thing? All the other brands lists both on the same product, but Philips has separate products for each. Just wondering...

I did exactly what you described to adjust mine, just at 25ft, it's what they suggested in the Heynes manual. Had a bit of an issue with the adjusting screws being stripped out, luckily I already had replacements.

Came home in the dark last night and the lights are better than I expected with the cheap bulbs that came with the custom lenses. I'll wait for the review on these before upgrading.

Do you know the wattage of the bulbs?

They're probably called "racing" because they're non-compliant, and can't be promoted for street use.

Does look good! :nabble_smiley_good:

If the ground is completely flat and level I would drive straight at/up to the door and make a cross with masking tape at the hot center of each beam.

Then back straight up at least 50' and see where they pattern on both high and low.

I do believe Gary has links to Daniel Stern's pages where he outlines all the proper alignment procedures.

They're 60/55W, I'm looking at the same ones, they claim +150%... Or the 'Xtreme Vision +130%'. I believe they are perfectly legal. So is 9003 and H4 the same thing? All the other brands lists both on the same product, but Philips has separate products for each. Just wondering...

I did exactly what you described to adjust mine, just at 25ft, it's what they suggested in the Heynes manual. Had a bit of an issue with the adjusting screws being stripped out, luckily I already had replacements.

Came home in the dark last night and the lights are better than I expected with the cheap bulbs that came with the custom lenses. I'll wait for the review on these before upgrading.

Essentially the same.

The 9003 has somewhat tighter tolerances to comply with DOT regulations.

Otherwise they interchange.

Essentially the same.

The 9003 has somewhat tighter tolerances to comply with DOT regulations.

Otherwise they interchange.

The KC Daylite is marked 150% racing as it is 150% off road only light!

The lens is just glass to protect the bulb, it does not have "cut off" to the pattern from what I remember.

It is a bright azz flood light!

KC also made a square light that was 'off road only" that worked pretty good on dark VT roads at night as that was the only place I could use them going to a buddies cabin.

Another buddy had the round Daylighters on his truck that also worked good on the same VT roads.

Thing was back in the day when everyone had to have KC's on their truck if you did not have covers on them the police could give you a ticket for having off road only lights ready to use.

So when home in CT the covers stayed on till we got off the high way in VT and put the covers on when we got back to the high way on the way home.

Dave ----

The KC Daylite is marked 150% racing as it is 150% off road only light!

The lens is just glass to protect the bulb, it does not have "cut off" to the pattern from what I remember.

It is a bright azz flood light!

KC also made a square light that was 'off road only" that worked pretty good on dark VT roads at night as that was the only place I could use them going to a buddies cabin.

Another buddy had the round Daylighters on his truck that also worked good on the same VT roads.

Thing was back in the day when everyone had to have KC's on their truck if you did not have covers on them the police could give you a ticket for having off road only lights ready to use.

So when home in CT the covers stayed on till we got off the high way in VT and put the covers on when we got back to the high way on the way home.

Dave ----

Well. Looks like I need to try this again at some point.

Turns out my gravel driveway is not as level as I would like, time to get the drag harrow out!

Anywhat. I mostly followed the instructions. Basically I very quickly realized my lights were pointing left so i had to make some adjustment!

I pulled up to the door, marked the center of each light with an upside down T in blue tape.

Backed up 25 ft, I could see the beam pattern moving up and down as i reversed so I know the drive is not level.

Got level out and made sure espy was level (the bubble was between the lines I promise!) by the bottom of the door jamb.

Stuck the laser on the front cross brace of the engine bay and with that I could measure the truck was 1/4 inch lower than the measurement at the door.

I adjusted the screws a lot to get them back to the original marks and then just nosed them down approx 3 inches.

Now I have half a sniff what I am supposed to be doing I will try again, maybe tomorrow.

Low before adjustment. Red circles show the marks for the center of each light, you can see they were really pointing left a lot so I had to do something!

before_lights.thumb.jpg.545807daab52c2bbe4702ccd3a5a221f.jpg

Low/dipped beam after shot

Dipped.jpg.54fac09ffaa6552c689b1f1f3132c2b8.jpg

High beam after shot

High.jpg.d0a0f02df3bf691af591c8ca55396655.jpg

Lights are bright, I will take her for a spin now it is really dark and see what I think of the beam pattern.

Well. Looks like I need to try this again at some point.

Turns out my gravel driveway is not as level as I would like, time to get the drag harrow out!

Anywhat. I mostly followed the instructions. Basically I very quickly realized my lights were pointing left so i had to make some adjustment!

I pulled up to the door, marked the center of each light with an upside down T in blue tape.

Backed up 25 ft, I could see the beam pattern moving up and down as i reversed so I know the drive is not level.

Got level out and made sure espy was level (the bubble was between the lines I promise!) by the bottom of the door jamb.

Stuck the laser on the front cross brace of the engine bay and with that I could measure the truck was 1/4 inch lower than the measurement at the door.

I adjusted the screws a lot to get them back to the original marks and then just nosed them down approx 3 inches.

Now I have half a sniff what I am supposed to be doing I will try again, maybe tomorrow.

Low before adjustment. Red circles show the marks for the center of each light, you can see they were really pointing left a lot so I had to do something!

Low/dipped beam after shot

High beam after shot

Lights are bright, I will take her for a spin now it is really dark and see what I think of the beam pattern.

Awaiting the drive report.

It does appear you've got them patterning well! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sure oncoming traffic appreciates your effort. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Yeah, he said "I'm going to take it for a spin now" and didn't come back! :nabble_smiley_oh:

As I was turning around on the driveway the wife got home from work so my plans got derailed!

Sorry!

But yes, on coming traffic MUST have been blinded previously as he adjustment was so far off.

• 2 months later...

As I was turning around on the driveway the wife got home from work so my plans got derailed!

Sorry!

But yes, on coming traffic MUST have been blinded previously as he adjustment was so far off.

Wow, I left this a long time, Sorry.

I can safely say the new set up is significantly better than the old. The beam pattern is good, the cut off is good. The low beams are nice and wide, the high beams give great reach.

I tried taking some video on my phone, but it was rubbish.

For the money, this is a great upgrade. We have lots of deer around here, so the more light the better. It actually has me motivated to hook up the KCs, as right now they are not connected, just for show...

Edited to include video:

Wow, I left this a long time, Sorry.

I can safely say the new set up is significantly better than the old. The beam pattern is good, the cut off is good. The low beams are nice and wide, the high beams give great reach.

I tried taking some video on my phone, but it was rubbish.

For the money, this is a great upgrade. We have lots of deer around here, so the more light the better. It actually has me motivated to hook up the KCs, as right now they are not connected, just for show...

Edited to include video:

It is warm and sunny so I am tackling the blend door.. I have half the dash hanging out, the old door removed and taking a break..

Only one bloody knuckle so far..