Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Look what I picked up today for $10!!

It is in perfect working order. I painted the needle and installed it. A little thing that makes it better for the wife!

Nice score :nabble_smiley_good:

Who even looks at that when shifting? They have not moved the positions since think mid 60's.

Dave ----

Who even looks at that when shifting? They have not moved the positions since think mid 60's.

Dave ----

My wife! She is a Brit so i cut her a little slack. More used to a 5 speed manual diesel compact !

Dave ----

My wife! She is a Brit so i cut her a little slack. More used to a 5 speed manual diesel compact !

Yes, nice score!

As for the Brits driving manuals, was just watching a series called Loch Ness. The lead turned her car off and when she went back it wouldn't crank fast enough to start. I said "Push the clutch in, its down hill so let it roll, and pop the clutch 'cause all the cars in the UK are manual!" She didn't. Called her husband who said "I'll sort it." Sort a dead battery? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Yes, nice score!

As for the Brits driving manuals, was just watching a series called Loch Ness. The lead turned her car off and when she went back it wouldn't crank fast enough to start. I said "Push the clutch in, its down hill so let it roll, and pop the clutch 'cause all the cars in the UK are manual!" She didn't. Called her husband who said "I'll sort it." Sort a dead battery? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I've been parking on slopes and popping the clutch in 2nd for too many weeks now!

Soon rabbit, soon...

I've been parking on slopes and popping the clutch in 2nd for too many weeks now!

Soon rabbit, soon...

Lol!

I had a Fiat Tipo after college. The starter was shot. I could push start it on my own in under 6ft!!

I have a story about being stranded in Romania in a diesel bus on a mountain road... I did chance death a few times, but i got that bus going!

Lol!

I had a Fiat Tipo after college. The starter was shot. I could push start it on my own in under 6ft!!

I have a story about being stranded in Romania in a diesel bus on a mountain road... I did chance death a few times, but i got that bus going!

It is amazing how many people don't know about "bump starting", or whatever you call it. I suppose that's partially due to living in an age of automatic transmissions here in the US. But so much of the rest of the world is still using manual transmissions due to cost and efficiency issues.

We were visiting the daughter, SiL, and gtwins in Nicaragua last January and the SiL left the headlights on in his diesel Mazda pickup. I suggested he let it roll and pop the clutch and he asked me to show him. It started easily, and then we had a few attempts by him until he got the hang of it.

But a diesel bus? Yipes!

It is amazing how many people don't know about "bump starting", or whatever you call it. I suppose that's partially due to living in an age of automatic transmissions here in the US. But so much of the rest of the world is still using manual transmissions due to cost and efficiency issues.

We were visiting the daughter, SiL, and gtwins in Nicaragua last January and the SiL left the headlights on in his diesel Mazda pickup. I suggested he let it roll and pop the clutch and he asked me to show him. It started easily, and then we had a few attempts by him until he got the hang of it.

But a diesel bus? Yipes!

I have posted a few things about Espy in other threads, so some consolidation and updates below:

1. Some overheating is going on.

It is intermittent so I am confident it is the thermostat. So I am going to try and change out the thermostat tonight. Of course my wife has a friend coming over and i am supposed to cook. Maybe I will cook dinner on that over heating engine!

2. The AC has stopped working. Looks like the scrap yard compressor is at fault. I can see it is getting the 12V at the compressor connector but the clutch is not engaging. The impedance at the compressor is ~3.4Ohms. Any suggestions for troubleshooting greatly appreciated.

2. It is time to get the transmission and rear end looked at. I have an appointment at a respected (Expensive?) transmission place at 9am tomorrow. I have emailed a primer email to the shop explaining what I am thinking about, including the potential change out to a A4OD. I have a budget of about $1k so let's see how much that will cover.

I will report back tomorrow.

I have posted a few things about Espy in other threads, so some consolidation and updates below:

It is intermittent so I am confident it is the thermostat. So I am going to try and change out the thermostat tonight. Of course my wife has a friend coming over and i am supposed to cook. Maybe I will cook dinner on that over heating engine!

https://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/1416596232/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&hvadid=77721854871371&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=manifold+destiny+cookbook&qid=1593109318&sr=8-2&tag=mh0b-20

I have a copy which my son gave to me years ago. :nabble_smiley_wink:

https://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/1416596232/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&hvadid=77721854871371&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=manifold+destiny+cookbook&qid=1593109318&sr=8-2&tag=mh0b-20

I think my parents had that book.

As a kid and we would go away camping for a month before school started and driving an old van where the motor was between the seats it was easy to cook and not even need to stop to get food.

Being it was a 225 slant six it had a big flat manifold to put food on.

I did strap frozen (not a good choice) hot dogs to the muffler before starting a trip from CT to OH pulling my car trailer. Dogs were cooked on 1 side and still frozen on the other side :nabble_smiley_angry: If there is a next time don't use frozen food LOL.

Dave ----

I think my parents had that book.

As a kid and we would go away camping for a month before school started and driving an old van where the motor was between the seats it was easy to cook and not even need to stop to get food.

Being it was a 225 slant six it had a big flat manifold to put food on.

I did strap frozen (not a good choice) hot dogs to the muffler before starting a trip from CT to OH pulling my car trailer. Dogs were cooked on 1 side and still frozen on the other side :nabble_smiley_angry: If there is a next time don't use frozen food LOL.

Dave ----

Oh god, that is fantastic! I have about a dozen frozen burritos I made stuffed in the freezer, those could be perfect!