Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Haha! Not a hijack at all! I swear my Mother would do that too and I do occasionally, not as much as I should. Turned out really good last night, enough for dinner last night, tonight and 2 nights of food went into the freezer :)

I think I made some progress today with Espy and the AC.

I pulled vacuum for 45 mins, it didn't hold well and slowly went down.

So I shorted the pressure switch and added some PAG and some R134a (remember I did flush the system already). I had a bucket of warm water to hand, some good physics at play there!

The system did generate some cold air which was nice and I swear I could hear hissing from the evaporator area.

I did squirt my soapy water mix all over the system, no bibles...

I really need that UV dye and a light, I did not get a chance to pick them up today... But it is fair to say the evaporator is on my suspect list...

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

At least you have it isolated.

I've used JB weld in the past, but offer no warranty.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

At least you have it isolated.

I've used JB weld in the past, but offer no warranty.

JB weld is magical!

I will wait for the weather to get better before going any further with the AC...

There are some higher priorities I need to get on:

1. I have a nasty water leak on the passenger side I need to tend too, since I put the new floor mats in, the passenger side one is constantly collecting water and I cannot tell where from... Need to get the hose on it..

2. riverside wind leaks from the top on occasion. The seals are new and I am not sure if it is the chipped window or not.

3. the rear bumper needs to be collected and installed!

Then I need to go back to my list and see what parts I have on hand for other tasks...

Haha! Not a hijack at all! I swear my Mother would do that too and I do occasionally, not as much as I should. Turned out really good last night, enough for dinner last night, tonight and 2 nights of food went into the freezer :)

I think I made some progress today with Espy and the AC.

I pulled vacuum for 45 mins, it didn't hold well and slowly went down.

So I shorted the pressure switch and added some PAG and some R134a (remember I did flush the system already). I had a bucket of warm water to hand, some good physics at play there!

The system did generate some cold air which was nice and I swear I could hear hissing from the evaporator area.

I did squirt my soapy water mix all over the system, no bibles...

I really need that UV dye and a light, I did not get a chance to pick them up today... But it is fair to say the evaporator is on my suspect list...

Janey made her "Mexican Chicken" dish with the leftover broiled chicken from another meal and the few Doritos we had. Was good, but wasn't her normal.

Anyway, you are getting there on the A/C. Once you find the leak you'll be "in".

By the way, the longer you leave the vacuum pump on the more moisture it'll pull from the system. Obviously there's a limit, but it doesn't hurt anything to leave it a while.

Janey made her "Mexican Chicken" dish with the leftover broiled chicken from another meal and the few Doritos we had. Was good, but wasn't her normal.

Anyway, you are getting there on the A/C. Once you find the leak you'll be "in".

By the way, the longer you leave the vacuum pump on the more moisture it'll pull from the system. Obviously there's a limit, but it doesn't hurt anything to leave it a while.

I agree on the vacuum. I usually let it pull for an hour. Then open the service port with a can hooked up to pull it in.

I agree on the vacuum. I usually let it pull for an hour. Then open the service port with a can hooked up to pull it in.

I did let it suck the air out for 45 mins. But as I will be doing it again once I get this leak worked out I will pull for a full hour.

The weather here is cold and damp so will wait until nice 65+ sunny day :)

I did let it suck the air out for 45 mins. But as I will be doing it again once I get this leak worked out I will pull for a full hour.

The weather here is cold and damp so will wait until nice 65+ sunny day :)

I don't know how much a sniffer is at HF or if they sell them but if you cant find leaks with bubbles try the sniffer at the vents in the truck.

You said you heard a hiss could the evap have a leak?

The sniffer would pick this up.

Dave ----

I don't know how much a sniffer is at HF or if they sell them but if you cant find leaks with bubbles try the sniffer at the vents in the truck.

You said you heard a hiss could the evap have a leak?

The sniffer would pick this up.

Dave ----

We used to use a torch, but H&S would have a meltdown now.

We used to use a torch, but H&S would have a meltdown now.

Hahaha! A torch in England is a flashlight... but I think you would have a butane powered torch!

HF do have a sniffer. I am thinking about it. It is $70 before coupons...

Hahaha! A torch in England is a flashlight... but I think you would have a butane powered torch!

HF do have a sniffer. I am thinking about it. It is $70 before coupons...

Yes, indeed a propane blowlamp.

But an ultraviolet 'torch', and a pair (singular) yellow plastic lenses used with the UV dye works a treat when the system has already been charged.

Burning CFC's and other halogenated solvents in open atmosphere releases toxic gas.

Re: the dire warnings about using brake cleaner for weld prep.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, indeed a propane blowlamp.

But an ultraviolet 'torch', and a pair (singular) yellow plastic lenses used with the UV dye works a treat when the system has already been charged.

Burning CFC's and other halogenated solvents in open atmosphere releases toxic gas.

Re: the dire warnings about using brake cleaner for weld prep.

It has been a few weeks, but today it was warm enough to work on the AC again. The system had held pressure the last few weeks, but it was lower than it needs to be.

I turned the pressure switch 3/4 turn anti clockwise and the system kicked on. I tried putting more R134a in but that is when i heard the hiss. Killed the engine and then found it in the line on the high side of the condenser going to the compressor.

New hose ordered and should be delivered tomorrow.

I did install the new blower motor and cleaned all the pine needles out from there. Small improvement in air flow.

I also loosened the rear bumper bolts, but as i was in direct sun going blind i will finish that another day. The hard part is done, they are loose!