Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Well, that was frustrating.

The old PCV valve (actually a breather as you can see in the video) was working fine, I replaced it, left it off and the noise continues. It is a high pitch whine that is now getting worse and is tracking with engine RPM.

I am doing a horrible job of trouble shooting this and probably need to start over in daylight tomorrow. I have tried a few things:

1. pulled off different vacuum hoses to see if that makes a difference - nope.

2. loosened the alternator belt to see if any change (the alternator is relatively new) - nope

3. loosens the bolts holding the carb on, engine revs changed, noise did not. righted the bolts up nice and snug - no change.

4. removed passenger side valve cover, cleaned up, new gasket new studs and nuts. Noise went away for 10 mins and came back worse. right before this change the engine was making the noise, made this change and went away... hence I think it could be related to this.

5. checked oil, is a little low. I will top up tomorrow.

6. had both valve cover vents open, no change.

Things that have changed recently

1. new alternator

2. new starter

3. new starter relay

4. new gasket on the passenger side valve cover.

Some thoughts:

1. could the gasket I am using not be ideal? any risk here? It is a felpro blue foam one. Could I have installed it incorrectly?

2. does this noise sound like a bearing or vacuum?

3. could it be header or intake related?

4. I tried removing the passenger side valve cover tonight, but I have over tightened one of the nut and can't undo it, it is the top middle one, where I thought the sound was coming from... I will try and attack it again tomorrow.

I cut the hose I used as a stethoscope the other day and I am now without that tool. doh.... I will get one tomorrow when I get some soil to top up.

It still sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear of the engine at the top.

Here are some vids:

If anyone recognizes this sound please let me know! Tomorrow I am going to do the following:

1. Buy a hose and try and track the source of the noise down.

2. remove and reseat the passenger side valve cover again...

3. walk the dog and try not to stress about it all!

As always, any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

P.S - I made progress with the audio stuff, so at least I can drown the noise out with that....

That really sounds like a belt noise or a noise made by a belt driven accessory. I know you said you loosened the belt and there was no change. Just for the heck of it, remove the belt(s) all together and start the engine. Also with the belt off, manually spin the alternator and see if you hear anything. I’ve gotten bad reman units right out of the box.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really sounds like a belt noise or a noise made by a belt driven accessory. I know you said you loosened the belt and there was no change. Just for the heck of it, remove the belt(s) all together and start the engine. Also with the belt off, manually spin the alternator and see if you hear anything. I’ve gotten bad reman units right out of the box.

Thanks, I will completely pull the belts tomorrow (powersteering belt is old and needs changing anyway.....) and report back.

The sound is very similar to a worn bearing and as the alternator is a recent addition, it is on the suspect list!

I will also get a watering can and spill water around the valve cover, intake manifold and carburetor base to see if anything changes with the banshee screech....

Well, that was frustrating.

The old PCV valve (actually a breather as you can see in the video) was working fine, I replaced it, left it off and the noise continues. It is a high pitch whine that is now getting worse and is tracking with engine RPM.

I am doing a horrible job of trouble shooting this and probably need to start over in daylight tomorrow. I have tried a few things:

1. pulled off different vacuum hoses to see if that makes a difference - nope.

2. loosened the alternator belt to see if any change (the alternator is relatively new) - nope

3. loosens the bolts holding the carb on, engine revs changed, noise did not. righted the bolts up nice and snug - no change.

4. removed passenger side valve cover, cleaned up, new gasket new studs and nuts. Noise went away for 10 mins and came back worse. right before this change the engine was making the noise, made this change and went away... hence I think it could be related to this.

5. checked oil, is a little low. I will top up tomorrow.

6. had both valve cover vents open, no change.

Things that have changed recently

1. new alternator

2. new starter

3. new starter relay

4. new gasket on the passenger side valve cover.

Some thoughts:

1. could the gasket I am using not be ideal? any risk here? It is a felpro blue foam one. Could I have installed it incorrectly?

2. does this noise sound like a bearing or vacuum?

3. could it be header or intake related?

4. I tried removing the passenger side valve cover tonight, but I have over tightened one of the nut and can't undo it, it is the top middle one, where I thought the sound was coming from... I will try and attack it again tomorrow.

I cut the hose I used as a stethoscope the other day and I am now without that tool. doh.... I will get one tomorrow when I get some soil to top up.

It still sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear of the engine at the top.

Here are some vids:

If anyone recognizes this sound please let me know! Tomorrow I am going to do the following:

1. Buy a hose and try and track the source of the noise down.

2. remove and reseat the passenger side valve cover again...

3. walk the dog and try not to stress about it all!

As always, any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

P.S - I made progress with the audio stuff, so at least I can drown the noise out with that....

First; please don't fill your engine with dirt! 😱

😂

Second, that sounds more like a rubbing belt or bearing noise too me than a vacuum whistle.

Though, I admit my phone doesn't have the best audio.

Have you checked the ports in the base flange of your carburetor?

If the cap at the back was cracked it could be the source.

First; please don't fill your engine with dirt! 😱

😂

Second, that sounds more like a rubbing belt or bearing noise too me than a vacuum whistle.

Though, I admit my phone doesn't have the best audio.

Have you checked the ports in the base flange of your carburetor?

If the cap at the back was cracked it could be the source.

I agree - belt or bearing, but lean to belt as it is smooth.

Jim's got a good question about caps on the vacuum system. Check them. And if it isn't a belt or bearing then it may be time for the smoke test - seal the intake to the carb and blow smoke from a cigar into the engine and see where it comes out.

I agree - belt or bearing, but lean to belt as it is smooth.

Jim's got a good question about caps on the vacuum system. Check them. And if it isn't a belt or bearing then it may be time for the smoke test - seal the intake to the carb and blow smoke from a cigar into the engine and see where it comes out.

There is so much dust around here I rarely pull the filter like that!

Thanks for the input, as soon as it gets above freezing I will:

1. Pull both alternator and power steering belts

2. Poor water around where I think the noise is

3. Try more stethoscope stuff

4. Check vacuum lines and manifolds again

5. Find someone who smokes!

Thanks for all the advice!

And if it isn't a belt or bearing then it may be time for the smoke test - seal the intake to the carb and blow smoke from a cigar into the engine and see where it comes out.

Good idea, Gary! Swisher Sweets worked for me! :nabble_anim_crazy:

I haven’t smoked for years, I don’t even have any cigars in the house anymore... maybe I should pop out and get a makers mark, those were always a treat, basically a spendy swisher!

Or maybe I can find a neighborhood vaping...

I haven’t smoked for years, I don’t even have any cigars in the house anymore... maybe I should pop out and get a makers mark, those were always a treat, basically a spendy swisher!

Or maybe I can find a neighborhood vaping...

Need to post some good news!

I managed to apply sound deadening material to the doors last night, both the outer skin and inner skin. I know this is not 100% coverage, but anything above 20% provides a benefit and I am probably at about 75%.

The speakers have boom mat liners behind them too.

The difference is staggering. It has been a while since I have done this stuff and I forgot what a difference it makes.

Later today I will pull the rest of the trim by the rear seats and the bed and apply all through there. I will also replace all the screws and panel pops, hopefully this will cure some of the rattle and shake noises too.

I also plan on doing the truck doors...

417322C7-CFB8-4301-B016-B20274E23AD2.jpeg.7847a9cf6175d1a155e8bb846a46276f.jpeg

F37D63B2-235D-407F-8CC9-1FF6343E871E.jpeg.c8a15fb94b3bec8e0a9c6624ae6f2b9c.jpeg

Need to post some good news!

I managed to apply sound deadening material to the doors last night, both the outer skin and inner skin. I know this is not 100% coverage, but anything above 20% provides a benefit and I am probably at about 75%.

The speakers have boom mat liners behind them too.

The difference is staggering. It has been a while since I have done this stuff and I forgot what a difference it makes.

Later today I will pull the rest of the trim by the rear seats and the bed and apply all through there. I will also replace all the screws and panel pops, hopefully this will cure some of the rattle and shake noises too.

I also plan on doing the truck doors...

That IS good news! And yes, the difference is staggering. You'll really love it. Keep on keeping on!

That IS good news! And yes, the difference is staggering. You'll really love it. Keep on keeping on!

Nice job on the mat.

I added 2 strips of peel & seal you get at the big box hardware stores to the inside of each door.

I don't know what they were like before this but I like the way the doors sound when you close them.

I did not add boom box to the door speakers but they don't sound to bad with just the P&S.

I did not add to the outer part of the door as I seen posted it could hold the door panel out.

I also did not add it anywhere else, it is a truck so it needs a little road noise LOL

I think once I get a carpet installed it will be pretty quiet as it is not too bad now.

Dave ----