Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Stay safe with all that water....

Yes, when I get back, it will be one cable a day! It takes some oomph to shorten them...

Thanks, but the first round of rain just dampened up. My brother, who lives in southern Kansas, said they got 2 1/2", and here in Tulsa where we are for the day they said they got lots of rain. However, there are more rounds coming.

And, Ray Cecil just texted to say the wrenching session on his MiL's car isn't going to happen 'cause the car is toast. So I'll be back inside the shop tomorrow on the RSK.

But, can you show us how you are shortening the wires? Pics?

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! Weather can be a pain! As can spark plug leads..

Decided to install the new ford 9mm for the 460 i miss ordered. A little spaghetti going on! I tried Steve’s advice on shortening them. It works, but my god i tried on and walked away! That is a job for a another day!!!

I DO like those valve covers! :nabble_smiley_good:

• 4 months later...

Stay safe with all that water....

Yes, when I get back, it will be one cable a day! It takes some oomph to shorten them...

Since my last project post a lot has happened, I started a new job and I have been away a lot, I nearly finished building my house too!

The last couple of days I have finally got to play with Espy! Two things have happened.

1. I finally replaced the radiator. I don’t why I left it so long, it took 30 mins, of which 10 were spent shouting at the dog!

2. Some electrical gremlins have popped up. Namely not starting, I was getting that horrid moment where you turn the key, get one clunk then nothing.. I switched the starter relay out and it was fine for a few days and then that death clunk again!

From reading around here I think it is one or more of the following

The starter is done

The wire/connections from the starter relay to the starter are done

Bad luck with the replacement starter relay

The earthing straps from the block are tired

I think I am just going to pull the lot. The cables/straps can definitely be changed. The starter can be tested and replaced if needed and that relay is probably toast from high current draw.

Can anyone help with where can I get a motor craft relay and what is the correct part number?

I am hoping to do this on Sunday, but thought I would check in with the brain trust here!

Happy New Year everyone!

Since my last project post a lot has happened, I started a new job and I have been away a lot, I nearly finished building my house too!

The last couple of days I have finally got to play with Espy! Two things have happened.

1. I finally replaced the radiator. I don’t why I left it so long, it took 30 mins, of which 10 were spent shouting at the dog!

2. Some electrical gremlins have popped up. Namely not starting, I was getting that horrid moment where you turn the key, get one clunk then nothing.. I switched the starter relay out and it was fine for a few days and then that death clunk again!

The starter is done

I think I am just going to pull the lot. The cables/straps can definitely be changed. The starter can be tested and replaced if needed and that relay is probably toast from high current draw.

Can anyone help with where can I get a motor craft relay and what is the correct part number?

I am hoping to do this on Sunday, but thought I would check in with the brain trust here!

Happy New Year everyone!

Congrats on the job & house hope it has a place out of weather to work on the truck / projects.

Most of the time that "clunk" is a bad connection and you have 6 on just the battery cables and the relay has to have a good ground to the fender.

What relay did you remove and install?

If 1 or the other came with the truck I would be temped to reuse it then again I am lazy and would try the one that is in place and replace ALL the cables if you say they look like they could use replacing.

Once you replace the cables, you may find now that power is getting to where it needs to, all may be good.

Dave ----

Congrats on the job & house hope it has a place out of weather to work on the truck / projects.

Most of the time that "clunk" is a bad connection and you have 6 on just the battery cables and the relay has to have a good ground to the fender.

What relay did you remove and install?

If 1 or the other came with the truck I would be temped to reuse it then again I am lazy and would try the one that is in place and replace ALL the cables if you say they look like they could use replacing.

Once you replace the cables, you may find now that power is getting to where it needs to, all may be good.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave, the house has a huge RV garage where i park ku trailer, i really need a dedicated shop!

i really think those cables are shot and the grounds are suspect. Probably just a good idea to get then sorted and see what happens. I hope i can do this tomorrow as i am off to Europe for 2 weeks for work!

The starter is done

Happy New Year everyone!

Yes, congrat's!! That's a LOT to have happen. :nabble_anim_claps:

On the starter, relay, and wiring, I'd recommend that you go with the later style PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction) starter, as described here: Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter. Ford went to that at least in the early 90's on your engine, and it cures a lot of ills by moving the heavy duty relay action to the starter itself. That way your fender-mounted relay is seriously overkill and the brand you buy really won't matter.

Thanks Dave, the house has a huge RV garage where i park ku trailer, i really need a dedicated shop!

i really think those cables are shot and the grounds are suspect. Probably just a good idea to get then sorted and see what happens. I hope i can do this tomorrow as i am off to Europe for 2 weeks for work!

Where you headed in Europe. Used to live in the UK and have traveled western Europe quite a bit.

On the starter, relay, and wiring, I'd recommend that you go with the later style PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction) starter, as described here: Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter. Ford went to that at least in the early 90's on your engine, and it cures a lot of ills by moving the heavy duty relay action to the starter itself. That way your fender-mounted relay is seriously overkill and the brand you buy really won't matter.

I also run a PMGR starter on my drag car that the starter wiring started stock just like Fords.

IT is also wired just like the link has it, both battery cables on 1 large post, 10ga, wire down to PMGR starter to it's solenoid post and the large battery cable to the large post.

I liked the starter, non-off the shelf, so much I bought a HD unit to replace the unit in the drag can and will use the normal one in the street car when the time comes.

What is nice on the starters I use is they are so small you can replace the starter with out removing long tube headers https://www.robbmcperformance.com/

They also have HP fuel pumps and other things all made in the USA!

Dave ----

I also run a PMGR starter on my drag car that the starter wiring started stock just like Fords.

IT is also wired just like the link has it, both battery cables on 1 large post, 10ga, wire down to PMGR starter to it's solenoid post and the large battery cable to the large post.

I liked the starter, non-off the shelf, so much I bought a HD unit to replace the unit in the drag can and will use the normal one in the street car when the time comes.

What is nice on the starters I use is they are so small you can replace the starter with out removing long tube headers https://www.robbmcperformance.com/

They also have HP fuel pumps and other things all made in the USA!

Dave ----

I'd used Tilton starters before on track vehicles, mostly for header clearance.

Great products too, but :nabble_money-flying-23_orig: wow.