Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Yeah, a l o n g time ago.

Class of '80 here, but I had aced my GED in '78 and got a job.

There's Grant's Auto Body on Post Road in Darien, just down from Bob's Gun Exchange.

Any relation?

Nope none but everyone thought so because of the last name.

Don't even know if his last name was the same as ours LOL

I am related to Bill's Service (Parkers cousins) that have shops in the Shippan (Mcggee ave.) area.

You have to have seen all the tow trucks & flat beds they have?

The last I knew they had a shop (body?) on Noroton ave Darien next to the Getty station so they would have towing rights in Darien.

My son is closer to his age cousins than I am with mine of my age.

One passed away after I moved down here and I did not find out till it was to late to go up and see them.

So if you were class of 80 we may have crossed paths?

IIRC at the time they put every other year class together.

I did not pay that much attention to other class mates just to school work and then off to my job to pay for my tools of the trade.

Dave ----

Nope none but everyone thought so because of the last name.

Don't even know if his last name was the same as ours LOL

I am related to Bill's Service (Parkers cousins) that have shops in the Shippan (Mcggee ave.) area.

You have to have seen all the tow trucks & flat beds they have?

The last I knew they had a shop (body?) on Noroton ave Darien next to the Getty station so they would have towing rights in Darien.

My son is closer to his age cousins than I am with mine of my age.

One passed away after I moved down here and I did not find out till it was to late to go up and see them.

So if you were class of 80 we may have crossed paths?

IIRC at the time they put every other year class together.

I did not pay that much attention to other class mates just to school work and then off to my job to pay for my tools of the trade.

Dave ----

Hmmm.. reading back I missed the advice about flushing the AC system with Isopropyl and a compressor..

So, tomorrow i will pull the lines apart, check all the o rings are intact (they are new). Then flush a fee times. I think this gonna cause a huge mess!

Let dry for a few hours, put it all back together and pull vacuum again...

If it doesn’t hold vacuum i will try and get some r134a in the system. I don’t think i have a can tap.. i do lave a low side adapter so i can put a can in the system and then look for leaks with soapy water...

In other news, i drove Espy today as we had to get groceries. She drove great and all the stores are fully stocked around here again, so a good day.

Hmmm.. reading back I missed the advice about flushing the AC system with Isopropyl and a compressor..

So, tomorrow i will pull the lines apart, check all the o rings are intact (they are new). Then flush a fee times. I think this gonna cause a huge mess!

Let dry for a few hours, put it all back together and pull vacuum again...

If it doesn’t hold vacuum i will try and get some r134a in the system. I don’t think i have a can tap.. i do lave a low side adapter so i can put a can in the system and then look for leaks with soapy water...

In other news, i drove Espy today as we had to get groceries. She drove great and all the stores are fully stocked around here again, so a good day.

Looks like you have a good plan.

And, it sounds like Espy is solid. So the A/C is going to be the icing, almost literally, on the cake. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for the stores, you are lucky. Apparently ours doesn't have much in the way of bread nor butter. We are using Walmart's service where they bring it out to you, and twice they've crossed off both.

Looks like you have a good plan.

And, it sounds like Espy is solid. So the A/C is going to be the icing, almost literally, on the cake. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for the stores, you are lucky. Apparently ours doesn't have much in the way of bread nor butter. We are using Walmart's service where they bring it out to you, and twice they've crossed off both.

Sounds like you are getting things sorted out, congrats. Our stores here are getting stocked back up, even on TP. There is a limit of two on bread and one on TP, eggs and potatoes. It's a shame people could not act with restraint and courtesy for their neighbors on those items, then limits would be unnecessary.

Sounds like you are getting things sorted out, congrats. Our stores here are getting stocked back up, even on TP. There is a limit of two on bread and one on TP, eggs and potatoes. It's a shame people could not act with restraint and courtesy for their neighbors on those items, then limits would be unnecessary.

I still have a large number of major issues to deal with when the weather gets better... rear axle rebuild, transmission shifts hard, engine needs rebuild... body work needs TLC... but I am in this for the long haul and this $900 Bronco is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned!

Today I pulled the AC apart, cleaned out everything with store bought AC cleaner (spent 2 hours driving around town looking for isopropyl.... sold out everywhere) from autozone.

I had a couple of pinched o-rings so I replaced them and cleaned up the connections again.

System would not hold vacuum. I could get it down to -26 (inchMg? I forget the units) for mere seconds.

Put some r134a in, it would not take the whole can. Pressure on low side peaked at 40psi and ~25psi on the high side..

I had the pressure switch shorted out with a paper clip, engine running, controls set to max AC, the clutch on the compressor was engaging.

Soapy spray was no use finding a leak.

So I stopped there. I am confident of 2 things:

1. I am doing something wrong!

2. I have a leak.

I think I will invest in the bigger horrible freight vacuum pump and some UV dye, unless anyone has better thoughts for trouble shooting!

I still have a large number of major issues to deal with when the weather gets better... rear axle rebuild, transmission shifts hard, engine needs rebuild... body work needs TLC... but I am in this for the long haul and this $900 Bronco is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned!

Today I pulled the AC apart, cleaned out everything with store bought AC cleaner (spent 2 hours driving around town looking for isopropyl.... sold out everywhere) from autozone.

I had a couple of pinched o-rings so I replaced them and cleaned up the connections again.

System would not hold vacuum. I could get it down to -26 (inchMg? I forget the units) for mere seconds.

Put some r134a in, it would not take the whole can. Pressure on low side peaked at 40psi and ~25psi on the high side..

I had the pressure switch shorted out with a paper clip, engine running, controls set to max AC, the clutch on the compressor was engaging.

Soapy spray was no use finding a leak.

So I stopped there. I am confident of 2 things:

1. I am doing something wrong!

2. I have a leak.

I think I will invest in the bigger horrible freight vacuum pump and some UV dye, unless anyone has better thoughts for trouble shooting!

You know Iso-heet gas line drier is 99.9% isopropyl, right?

It's only $2.29 at my Advance.

Edit: less at Walmart, and the pharmacy 2 aisles away is devoid of ANY alcohol.

IMG_20200404_084422.thumb.jpg.9c4fd3e3af512b7a6dd1e751352fe3a7.jpg

IMG_20200404_084539.thumb.jpg.2c0cc675eda352d875265dd85ee86ce7.jpg

You should get the yellow plastic "shooting glasses" at Horrid Fate while you're there.

They're cheap, and help a lot in seeing the UV dye.

You know Iso-heet gas line drier is 99.9% isopropyl, right?

It's only $2.29 at my Advance.

Edit: less at Walmart, and the pharmacy 2 aisles away is devoid of ANY alcohol.

You should get the yellow plastic "shooting glasses" at Horrid Fate while you're there.

They're cheap, and help a lot in seeing the UV dye.

Use a bucket of warm, not hot, water to set the can in to help empty it. While you are servicing it.

Use a bucket of warm, not hot, water to set the can in to help empty it. While you are servicing it.

As soon as this weather passes I will get back to the stores, get iso-heet and a better vacuum pump.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I can soak my feet in the bucket of warm water too!

It is supposed to snow tonight...

Cooking up a casserole storm tonight, the “empty the fridge” kind, trying not to waste any food and stock the freezer at the same time! I hope you are all staying healthy..

Cooking up a casserole storm tonight, the “empty the fridge” kind, trying not to waste any food and stock the freezer at the same time! I hope you are all staying healthy..

Please forgive me for "highjacking", but this reminded me of something: when I was growing up, there were six of us and my mother was frugal, so every Saturday, she would empty the refrigerator of all that had accumulated throughout the week and make a large pot of soup. This would include several meats and multiple vegetables. It would simmer all day and fill the kitchen with an enticing aroma. Then she would toast crackers with chunks of cheddar cheese. Ummm, ummm good!

No pot was ever the same! I miss those days! :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Please forgive me for "highjacking", but this reminded me of something: when I was growing up, there were six of us and my mother was frugal, so every Saturday, she would empty the refrigerator of all that had accumulated throughout the week and make a large pot of soup. This would include several meats and multiple vegetables. It would simmer all day and fill the kitchen with an enticing aroma. Then she would toast crackers with chunks of cheddar cheese. Ummm, ummm good!

No pot was ever the same! I miss those days! :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Haha! Not a hijack at all! I swear my Mother would do that too and I do occasionally, not as much as I should. Turned out really good last night, enough for dinner last night, tonight and 2 nights of food went into the freezer :)

I think I made some progress today with Espy and the AC.

I pulled vacuum for 45 mins, it didn't hold well and slowly went down.

So I shorted the pressure switch and added some PAG and some R134a (remember I did flush the system already). I had a bucket of warm water to hand, some good physics at play there!

The system did generate some cold air which was nice and I swear I could hear hissing from the evaporator area.

I did squirt my soapy water mix all over the system, no bibles...

I really need that UV dye and a light, I did not get a chance to pick them up today... But it is fair to say the evaporator is on my suspect list...