Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

This cold weather makes working outside tough, but a victory was well earned at 36F or so.

That battery tray I rescued from the breakers is now installed. Not without a fight though. Working on my own it took an hour to battle the old rusted tray out of Espy and about 84 seconds to install the new one!

The great news is both the long j bolts (is that what they are called?) are now anchored, the bad news is the battery seems to wide for the plastic brace... I will think about that at the weekend, but I suspect the battery is larger size/capacity than stock, I will check the label and ford spec and rectify...

Hopefully tomorrow I get to chase the AC leak(s?) down and then I can start a whole new conversation about puddles on my new floor mats.

This is a hell of an Onion Gary!

See what Gary's posted the past couple of days in Big Blue's thread about fitting the '87^ battery tray to hold a group 65 battery.

No J-hooks or top retainer are just one of the advantages of a tray that fits above the plastic fender liner, away from water and road salt.

See what Gary's posted the past couple of days in Big Blue's thread about fitting the '87^ battery tray to hold a group 65 battery.

No J-hooks or top retainer are just one of the advantages of a tray that fits above the plastic fender liner, away from water and road salt.

Right - The later battery trays are better for a number of reasons. The fact that it is above the fender liner is a blessing as the mud and water don't sit on it forever. And the clamps are supposed to be far superior to the j-hooks.

Mine is quasi installed, but I didn't have the brace that goes to the radiator support, without which I don't dare put the battery in. So I don't yet know how the clamping system is going to work. But I like it so far.

And yes, it is a HUGE onion!

Right - The later battery trays are better for a number of reasons. The fact that it is above the fender liner is a blessing as the mud and water don't sit on it forever. And the clamps are supposed to be far superior to the j-hooks.

Mine is quasi installed, but I didn't have the brace that goes to the radiator support, without which I don't dare put the battery in. So I don't yet know how the clamping system is going to work. But I like it so far.

And yes, it is a HUGE onion!

I just caught up with the battery tray antics, thanks for pointing me over there.

This captive nuts in the wheel well were so corroded they broke free and started spinning . I was working on my own so dealing with that was not fun!

I will keep my eyes open when I next go to the breakers next. At least I know removing the stock tray will be easy if I do it in the near future as everything is currently clean! I completely agree with the battery being under rated for these trucks. I don't think mine is a 56 as they were out of stock so I think it is the next size up..

When I build an engine next winter i will be going with a 3G alternator, PMGR starter, Saginaw PS pump and serpentine belt system... I am making notes of all this stuff now!

I just caught up with the battery tray antics, thanks for pointing me over there.

This captive nuts in the wheel well were so corroded they broke free and started spinning . I was working on my own so dealing with that was not fun!

I will keep my eyes open when I next go to the breakers next. At least I know removing the stock tray will be easy if I do it in the near future as everything is currently clean! I completely agree with the battery being under rated for these trucks. I don't think mine is a 56 as they were out of stock so I think it is the next size up..

When I build an engine next winter i will be going with a 3G alternator, PMGR starter, Saginaw PS pump and serpentine belt system... I am making notes of all this stuff now!

When building the engine and going with the 3G et al that will be a good time for the new battery tray. And when you go to the breakers to get one make SURE to get the brace with it. (Don't do as I do.) It is the item on the right, below, and it bolts to the radiator support.

Later_Battery_Tray__Brace.thumb.jpg.3a7b58331fc31707fe2d5258c8ac6c6d.jpg

When building the engine and going with the 3G et al that will be a good time for the new battery tray. And when you go to the breakers to get one make SURE to get the brace with it. (Don't do as I do.) It is the item on the right, below, and it bolts to the radiator support.

Thanks Gary.

Luckily I have a long time to accumulate parts for the engine build and the the local breakers has a steady supply of trucks.

I will definitely be doing that battery tray upgrade and putting a nice G65 in!

Thanks Gary.

Luckily I have a long time to accumulate parts for the engine build and the the local breakers has a steady supply of trucks.

I will definitely be doing that battery tray upgrade and putting a nice G65 in!

I did not know a comment about Nitrogen would blow up like it did :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Man do I feel under schooled :nabble_smiley_sad:

If it was not for the state tech school I went to for high school I don't know if I would have finished high school. I also knew that collage was not for me.

As for Argon or Nitrogen?

When I worked at the hospital, Nitrogen was used on our chillers to check for leaks after they were opened up as it was a dry gas.

We also had a lot of it on hand, 24+ tanks at any given time, as the OR's used it to power air tools in the rooms when needed.

It was also used in some of the labs.

If we had any Argon it was for the TIG welder, does it use Argon? in the shop that the plumbers had access to not us in HVAC.

Could NOS be used to pressurize a AC system to look for leaks?

I have a little left over from my 4x4 racing days I could use if it is a dry gas. Would just need to make sure the tube is not in the liquid when used is all.

Dave ----

I did not know a comment about Nitrogen would blow up like it did :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Man do I feel under schooled :nabble_smiley_sad:

If it was not for the state tech school I went to for high school I don't know if I would have finished high school. I also knew that collage was not for me.

As for Argon or Nitrogen?

When I worked at the hospital, Nitrogen was used on our chillers to check for leaks after they were opened up as it was a dry gas.

We also had a lot of it on hand, 24+ tanks at any given time, as the OR's used it to power air tools in the rooms when needed.

It was also used in some of the labs.

If we had any Argon it was for the TIG welder, does it use Argon? in the shop that the plumbers had access to not us in HVAC.

Could NOS be used to pressurize a AC system to look for leaks?

I have a little left over from my 4x4 racing days I could use if it is a dry gas. Would just need to make sure the tube is not in the liquid when used is all.

Dave ----

'juice' would probably be the worst thing.

It's a potent oxidizer, and along with the nitrogen will cause all kinds of corrosion.

Yeah. Argon for my TIG welder.

What exactly DID they teach you at JM Wright tech?

It's a potent oxidizer, and along with the nitrogen will cause all kinds of corrosion.

I took auto shop, top of my class (78) and because I was not going to collage I turned down a scalar ship for a bond. I also knew how to do body work before I started HS and was teaching others a little of it.

My dad also bought a shop just before I got out of school that we were to run "together" but you never work for family LOL

Now I wished I went with tool and die as I enjoyed that when I went thru the 2 week class.

Also had an uncle that was a T & D maker.

Did good drafting / blue print reading but penmen ship was not great (still not) for that class. Not that is what I wanted to do it but you needed to take it for T & D.

I was also good in the other hands on building trades but did not care much for them so never really looked at them.

When my son was trying to get in they kept saying "no openings".

Then a few years later it shut down because lack of students?

Think shortly before I moved down here I heard they opened it backup.

All that was a L O N G time ago LOL

Dave ----

I took auto shop, top of my class (78) and because I was not going to collage I turned down a scalar ship for a bond. I also knew how to do body work before I started HS and was teaching others a little of it.

My dad also bought a shop just before I got out of school that we were to run "together" but you never work for family LOL

Now I wished I went with tool and die as I enjoyed that when I went thru the 2 week class.

Also had an uncle that was a T & D maker.

Did good drafting / blue print reading but penmen ship was not great (still not) for that class. Not that is what I wanted to do it but you needed to take it for T & D.

I was also good in the other hands on building trades but did not care much for them so never really looked at them.

When my son was trying to get in they kept saying "no openings".

Then a few years later it shut down because lack of students?

Think shortly before I moved down here I heard they opened it backup.

All that was a L O N G time ago LOL

Dave ----

Yeah, a l o n g time ago.

Class of '80 here, but I had aced my GED in '78 and got a job.

There's Grant's Auto Body on Post Road in Darien, just down from Bob's Gun Exchange.

Any relation?